back to article Oracle tells tales about Google data slurps to Australian regulator

Oracle has “provided information … about Google services” to Australian regulators. News Limited organs in Australia on Monday reported that Oracle staffers travelled to Australia to present at the Competition and Consumer Commission’s (ACCC’s) Digital platforms inquiry. That inquiry will “look at the effect that digital …

1. ratfox

Oracle playing the Knight in shining armor

They also told the world about Google recording the cell mast the phone is connected to:

https://www.theregister.co.uk//2017/11/22/google_oracle_location_privacy/

Were it any other company than Oracle, you'd think they're trying to act for the public good! However, since it's Oracle, I can only conclude they're still pissed off about Java.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oracle playing the Knight in shining armor

I think they're pissed that they're seen as just a boring old database company, and not one of the cool internet/cloud/online services kids.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They ARE a boring old database company, rust belt of IT.

2. RyokuMas
      Facepalm

What goes around, comes around...

The only question in my mind is "who is going to be slinging mud at whom this week?"

1. Daggerchild Silver badge

I'm wondering probably what everyone else is wondering: Why Australia?

Does Australia have different rules about something, or a particularly eager commissioner somewhere?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They also come up with horseshit about it uploading 1gb a month of data. LOL, wonder what cretins are actually going to believe this nonsense.

Tinfoil hats at the ready...

1. Richocet

Well, in 2012 I updated my phone OS and then it suddenly began using cellular data at a rapid rate. Especially when I drove or traveled - when it got hot to the touch.

My suspicion was that the phone was monitoring my movements and activities and sending back this data, and the update had included a bug or sent the information hundreds of times more frequently than intended. Why else would a smartphone burn through so much data while not being used?

I closed all the apps and used the phone sparingly. It made no difference.

In 10 days it had used my full 2GB data allowance.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just as bad as each other

Eventually, you have to let the kids just slug it out.

Google has gone way too far in may areas especially the slurping of our data but Oracle deserves to lose the court case over the Java api. For them to prevail would set IT back decades in the USA.

If Oracle win, you will start seeing 'Not for use in the USA' on so many products.

Now where is that fence I can sit on????

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just as bad as each other

"Google has gone way too far in may areas especially the slurping of our data"

Please cite, as looking at their privacy policy, it's exactly the same as apple, Microsoft and Facebook's. You are anonymously monitized by all of them, if you actually bother to read them, and nobody has submitted any proof that Google has gone beyond when they say they do on their privacy policy..

So I call horse poop, and you are just believing what someone on the internet told you, rather than relying on factual information.

3. jacksmith210060

Oracle use to be such a great company. But the problem is there is so many great databases now that are open source.

Plus Oracle just stopped innovating. The cloud providers all have their own database technology and none use Oracle. So if you can beat them then you try to tear them down.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Behind their 'paywall'

Charming, these Oraclers. I wish I had a daughter so I could forbid her to marry one.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like