back to article Making calls? Ha, not what most peeps use phone for – Ofcom

Web browsing ranks as the most important phone use activity, above making calls, a chunky survey by Ofcom has found. Of the 5,315 people in its annual Consumer Mobile Experience report (PDF), 92 per cent said web browsing was "extremely" or "very" important, while three-quarters said the same for voice calls. For 18 to 24-year …

1. James 51

Surfing and apps might be what gets used the most but if making calls was unimportant, I'd still be using my Q10 with the slightly dodgy mic as my primary phone (instead use it basically as websurfing and email tool at home).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unfortunately the study only covers Android users...

...and everyone knows they're weird and sad.

3. Commswonk

Was The Survey Big Enough...

...to quantify the people for whom a mobile phone is a purely utilitarian device used to make or receive occasional calls and send or receive occasional texts when away from home? Those who don't give a shit about Twitter or any other social medium, along with those who are perfectly capable of spending an entire day (or longer) without ordering something they don't need from the internet?

1. find users who cut cat tail

Re: Was The Survey Big Enough...

The part where consumers were asked to download data-collecting apps evidently was not. If you have (a) phone as a purely utilitarian device (b) any remaining sanity, you will not do that. Provided that you even can do that -- my phone for phone calls cannot download their apps for sure...

2. DiViDeD

"spending an entire day (or longer) without ordering something they don't need from the internet"

But then, where would you get all the stuff you don't need from? Not everyone has a local JayCar (Maplins for our imperial cousins)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not everyone has a local JayCar (Maplins for our imperial cousins)

Ah, thanks for the helpful analogy. Does that mean JayCar's going down the toilet, too? :-)

1. DiViDeD

Unfortunately, JayCar is (slowly, thank FSM) the way of Dick Smith. More karaoke machines and quadcopters, fewer (and less floorspace for) components and funky gadgets.

It still retains its knowledgeable and friendly staff though, so it's still a good place to lose the occasional lunch hour.

4. doublelayer Silver badge

Maybe, but

I'm sure a lot of smartphone users willing to and comfortable with installing apps, which is all that was measured, would like web browsing to work, but how much of that is for browsing data-heavy sites. Might it be that they wanted things like email and push notifications to be available all of the time? That would back up the findings from Monday's article on voice being considered more important and reliability being rated above speed, and it is definitely how I view my data connection.

5. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    FAIL

Selection Bias

Clearly they have no idea at all how to run a survey. Either that, or they tailored it to give the result they wanted. They sort of mashed quite disparate ideas in to give one overall impression, ignoring the fact that half of this required the use of software that some people either couldn't or objected to downloading.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Selection Bias

" Either that, or they tailored it to give the result they wanted"

Most surveys are designed to give the headline result that the person paying wants. Even so only so much is possible. That's why TalkTalk is never going to conduct and publish the results a customer satisfaction survey.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like