back to article Intel to preserve Moore's Law with startup land's fresh young blood

Moore's Law ain't dead yet, but Intel needs startups to keep it alive. For several years, observers have noted that straight line predicting the doubling of transistors per chip has slowly bent downwards. It hasn’t helped that Intel itself found it hard to shift from 14nm to 10nm production – recently announcing that it will …

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Go

According to this presentation Lycean has already built one.

In Germany in 2015

At first I'd thought they were talking about a mini synchrotron (first done by IBM in the early 80's) but their approach seems to be much more efficient at converting input power into X-rays using (relatively) well understood technology (highish power electron currents and ps IR laser pulses) to make X-rays through "Inverse Compton scattering."

Naturally there are a) High hurdles to making this work with a compact syncrotron) b) They say they have solutions for them.

That said we are apparently talking 3 orders of magnitude more power than alternatives, which I'd guess knocks exposure time from hours to seconds. Critical if you want to put this in a production environment.

It looks like someone has finally built a viable high power X-ray laser.

BTW One of things people don't often realize about laser fusion is that all that laser energy is to turn the metal capsule into (in effect) X-ray emitters to cook the deuterium/tritium fuel pellet.

Obviously if you can skip all that malarky and get straight down to just zapping the pellet directly with a lot of X-rays your efficiency goes up quite a lot.

Handy, given the eyewatering some the USG spent on their last laser fusion system.

1. defiler
      Coat

Re: According to this presentation Lycean has already built one.

"Inverse Compton scattering."

So, if it's not scattered, does that mean it's Straight Outta Compton?

1. HPCJohn

Another is Lyncean Technologies, based in California, which believes it has cracked the long-awaited "extreme UV" (EUV) process that could theoretically reduce chips down to 2nm –

Err.... I have just been working with ASML in the Netherlands. They have production EUV systems which are shipping now. How are these Lyncean systems different?

http://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-forest/index.ssf/2017/11/asml_euv_lithography_intel_hil.html

1. imanidiot Silver badge

@HPCJohn,

It seems there is some confusion stemming from the wording in the article, Lyncean is only proposing they can build an EUV source based on their compact synchrotron X-ray source (Of which they seem to have built only 1 research example) not an entire EUV scanner. If they can pull this off they could replace the Cymer Laser Produced Plasma source with this new source. Since the Cymer source is a contamination concern due to the amount of "free-flying" tin this would indeed be a step forward, through from what I've heard ASML/Cymer is well on it's way to building a 1kW continuous output LPP source. 250 W has already been produced and several customers seem to be gearing up for high-volume manufacture if their recent press releases are to be believed.

I'll believe it when I see it, having a source is one thing (like Gigaphotons EUV source), being able to deliver the correct (and very tight) dose control at exactly the right focus onto the optics system of the litho scanner is entirely a different matter.

1. HPCJohn

@imanidiot Thankyou for a knowlegeable and instructive reply.

Absolutely no sarcasm intended. Genuinely.

No problem. Wish I could tell more but I'll have to stick to the basics. Since you've dealt with ASML you probably know whats in the NDA ;)

2. HPCJohn

John Smith, just google for ASML and EUV. Public knowledge that the source uses molten tin droplets.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Unhappy

Public knowledge that the source uses molten tin droplets.

Well they don't use molten Tin droplets (or any other kind).

The real question (which that link was rather coy about) is their power.

Those guys are talking 1Kw of X-ray power.

That's huge.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

X Rays

That's a lot of X rays.

Server techs will shortly need to be certified as X ray technicians and learn how to work wearing one of those lead coats

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: X Rays

The reason I developed cataracts in my mid-thirties is I was exposed to a shitload of X-Rays from high power electronics while I wore the uniform. They estimated it was ten times the lifetime dose for an X-Ray technician. Good thing that I never got married and wanting kids. Lord knows what they would have looked like!

3. DCFusor

OK, no more design-in for ESP

Intel is the kiss of death for embedded anything. If it doesn't instantly take over the entire market (like nothing by anyone ever has) it gets canned. Long ago all responsible engineers learned to never use anything Intel in embedded designs for this reason...

Edison

Gallileo

Arduino 101

In just the past few years. 100% failure rate on all embedded dev setups associated with Intel in any way.

Crap. I liked the ESPs. So long, Expressif.

Re: OK, no more design-in for ESP

Intel didn't buy Espressif, they only invested in the company (probably in hopes of being able to learn something or steal something from them later). I wouldn't worry too much about development of the ESPs, the company seems to know enough about what it's doing to actually do something useful with the money.

(Also, it would have been good of El Reg to link to the Espressif press release on the matter)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like