back to article AI crisis: Sony reports shortage of cute robot puppies!

Here’s one for the “Robots taking over low-skilled jobs” file: Sony says it can’t handle demand for its second-generation robot dog. Launched in January 2018 at around US$1,800, plus about half that for a three-year cloud subscription fee, the “Aibo entertainment robot” was sold online after a lottery. Sony Japan on Monday …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I see your dog and raise you a seal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paro_(robot)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I assume the seal is not for all markets

Specially not for Canada?

Sorry for the joke..

1. David 132 Silver badge
        Coat

Re: I assume the seal is not for all markets

Too expensive for Canadians. Still, if they club together...

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Buddhist funerals for robot dogs

Contrary to what was stated in the article, some owners of first gen Aibos remained very attached to them. The funerals mentioned here are result of Sony ceasing to repair Aibos in 2014.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/03/japan-robot-dogs-get-solemn-buddhist-send-off-at-funerals

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Buddhist funerals for robot dogs

Must say, I much preferred the 1st Gen.. they looks much more high-tech and pets of the future.

(Saying that.. nothing actually beats the real thing.. My Alaskan malamute is the fluffiest is just a teddy bear)

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Oengus

Cheap compared to a real puppy

at around US$1,800, plus about half that for a three-year cloud subscription fee

At these prices it will be cheaper to buy than most of the "designer" puppies and the on-going costs for the cloud subscription are cheaper than feeding a puppy. Also, it will be a puppy forever... however, I wonder how long before the IoT device (face it that is what it is) is hacked and becomes a Trojan horse.

1. steelpillow Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Cheap compared to a real puppy

"I wonder how long before the IoT device (face it that is what it is) is hacked and becomes a Trojan horse."

"Hi Aibo, you're behaving real subdued today, why the long face?"

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      WTF?

Re: Cheap compared to a real puppy

And, why exactly does it NEED a "cloud subscription" ???

Just sayin'...

5. steelpillow Silver badge

Academic research

Academic researchers latched on to the original as a cheap standard robotic platform which multiple AI researchers could use as a baseline in comparing their results. Around the world they were committing an increasing number of new research programmes around it when Sony, unaware of this imminent revenue stream, pulled the plug.

Let's hope that doesn't happen again.

1. TheProf
      Devil

Re: Academic research

" new research programmes around it when Sony, unaware of this imminent revenue stream, pulled the plug."

Sony probably found out that someone had put LINUX on it and was using it for 'piracy'.

2. ibmalone

Sony, unaware of this imminent revenue stream, pulled the pug.

FTFY

1. Crisp

Surely they just put it on paws?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sure I've told this before but back when the first Aibo came out I remember seeing one being demoed by staff at the Tech Museum in San Jose. As they spoke to it to ask it to do things it either did what was asked "which shows how good its AI is in working out what we want it to do" or sat still or did something completely different "which shows how goiod its AI is as its able to decide what it wants to do itself"

7. TheGreatCabbage

"Sony plans to sell Aibo outside Japan real soon now."

"Real soon now"? I thought this was a British website :P

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

"Real soon now"? I thought this was a British website :P

We need a beefeater/pearly king/nutter in a Union Jack suit icon.

8. Mike 16

UK sales

Of course, taking a clue from Apple, who just change the currency symbol so a 999USD laptop became a 999GBP laptop, we can expect Aibo 2 to be offered at 196200GBP (1800USD x 109). One could probably get one of the Royal Corgis for less.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: UK sales

"One could probably get one of the Royal Corgis for less."

You would be out of luck - the last royal corgi died recently.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: UK sales

Oh. Stuff that then.

9. Allan Broad

Out on the US market

It is out on the US market and A bundle package for Aibo will cost $2,899.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like