back to article Congratulations, we all survived Star Wars day! Now for some security headaches

May is already upon us, and as usual it has been a busy week for security news. Here's a summary of what didn't make it into El Reg this week, well, until now. Son of a glitch! Brainiacs at Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam have detailed an attack called GLitch. It exploits Adreno GPUs built into Qualcomm-powered system-on-chips …

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Re: we all survived Star Wars day...

... Is today the Revenge of the Fifth? Or is tomorrow ditto of the Sixth?

2. Emmeran

Close shave

I applied for that Leominster, MA job; apparently I was very lucky not to get it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do all those GPON routers use the same code?

It's interesting it looks all routers have the same flaw. It looks some kind of flawed (open?) source code all of them used.

It's good that here in Italy AGCOM (the authority for communications) is going to enforce the EU regulation [Regulation (EU) 2015/2120] that forbids telco to mandate the installation of their own routers, while not allowing subscribers to buy and install their own.

It wasn't easy, but telcos have lost, and while looking for new ways to get the money they got "renting" routers anyway, at least you will be able to install - and keep patched - your own routers, without waiting for someone else.

4. TrumpSlurp the Troll
    WTF?

GPON routers?

I hsd to look and check.

http://www.gpon.com/how-gpon-works so GPON describes a technology not a particular brand of routers.

So this is a report akin to "there is a vulnerability in ADSL/DOCSIS 3.0 routers". Fine. Which ones???

5. Hooda Thunkett

SB315

Are those hackers trying to get SB315 passed, or not? Seems like hacking businesses there over a bill that is trying to make hacking illegal (however poorly worded) is only going to increase support for the bill.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: SB315

I did wonder the same. It wouldn't be the first time someone on the internet claimed to support one side but was actually supporting the other.

1. K

That was my assumption too... seems to be politiks 101 these days - Rather than engaging people, you create a fictional boogie man, whilst offering a solution that will "make the big bad very scary men go away!"

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

False flag!

Quick--somebody alert Alex Jones immediately, because this needs to be the top headline at Infowars!

6. 404
    Facepalm

Hard Knox

I know the system well - it's not to spec*, everyone here would point and laugh, and that's all I can say about that.

*not my fault, I told 'em.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like