back to article FTC Commissioner refuses to budge until Trump fulfills promises

In a further sign that punching your way out of a paper bag is much harder than people assume, America's consumer rights watchdog the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has ended up with one commissioner too many. Christine Wilson was unanimously confirmed by the Senate last week as one of five new FTC commissioners, but there is …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Incompetence

In the end, any administration will be judged on competence. An administration that has control over both chambers of Congress but not over itself will found incompetent.

Looking forward to hearing "You're fired!" soon.

1. Beau

Re: Incompetence

Sorry to disappoint you, but getting Trump into the White House was one thing, and getting him out is another.

He sees himself as the founding member of the Trump Presidential Dynasty, and has no intention of leaving at all, never mind any time soon!

One might say, the Americans have been hooked, line and sinker.

2. elDog

I read the screenplay before this was made

And the execution is remarkably accurate. Kudos to the Chief Antagonist (known colloquially as trump) and the myriads of minor actors that portrayed unswamp creatures that would help rid the Lower Earth of its swampy denizens; these creatures also shown to be far muskier and smelling of rot than the previous ones.

Anyhoo - lest I get carried away.

This does seem to play into someone's gamebook rather well. Bring in the most corrupt, inept, incompetent, unpleasant group to destroy the castle from within.

W (the G.W.Bush pResident) also tried this, or at least his in-house puppet-masters tried. Ashcroft and the incorporation of graduates of Falwell's Liberty "U" took up roles throughout the Justice Dept. as well as, memory not failing me, actually being responsible for the "reconstruction" of Iraq by handing out hundreds of millions of freshly minted greenbacks to willing recipients (much of what went to fund the continued resistance.)

I hate that dread "Click here to read more", so I'll stifle the rest for a while.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

She's a Republican

But is she a Swamp Republican?

Let's not forget, this was the *dead* party that *openly* conspired to deny Trump a primary victory. Nobody gives a flying fuck about those "Republicans" anymore.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: She's a Republican

So I guess your definition of a "swamp republican" is anyone Trump doesn't like? Trump's definition of a good FTC commissioner is the same as for anyone else in government - they are good if they do his bidding, and they are in the "swamp" if they don't kiss his ass.

Meaning the FTC should deny the AT&T/TW merger because Trump doesn't like CNN because they won't lick his ass like Hannity, but the FCC should support reinstating the wildly outdated UHF discount solely to benefit Sinclair Broadcasting and their merger with Tribune because Sinclair is owned by conservatives.

Trump thinks the government exists to do his bidding, anytime he doesn't get his way he whines about the "swamp" or the "deep state", when it is in fact the system of checks and balances wisely put in by the founders to prevent megalomaniacal fools like Trump from declaring themselves King.

4. Mark 85

So she won't step down until she's appointed as a judge? Is she even qualified to be a judge? This almost comes across as blackmail or at least intimidation.

1. Remy Redert

The way it's worded, she promised to step down if she made judge. She hasn't been made judge yet, so she's not stepping down. Presumably out of a justified fear that as soon as she does step down, her pending confirmation will disappear down the drain and never be heard from again.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, you wonder how could you trust such a judge...

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

So she won't step down until she's appointed as a judge?

She won't step down before the end of her term. Which, I believe, ends in September. We're talking about the difference of a few months.

5. ecofeco Silver badge

The epitome of American society

As much as I loathe the current state of American gov it unfortunately perfectly represents modern America.

6. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Trying to see the tech angle here

Bueller? Bueller?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More proof

This is a perfect example of why the FTC, FCC and SEC do little to nothing to protect the U.S. from criminal corporations. These political appointees care little about serving the populace and mostly about power and personal gains.

Attacking Trump is futile. It won't change a thing. We see partisan politics destroying the U.S. virtually everyday. Some of the politicians and lying media will be held accountable much to their dismay. The Constitution does not protect against slander and libel not even for hacks.

1. Tomato42

Re: More proof

just because Trump is a symptom, not a cause, doesn't make him any less vile, vapid and vain

1. jake Silver badge

You forgot vacuous, vengeful, venomous, vomitous, vulgar, vexful vermin.

1. CrashMarik

And up for a Nobel Peace Prize funny how those things go together. I suppose if he were more useless he would have had it without doing anything.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

And up for a Nobel Peace Prize

Along with 215 other people, and 114 organizations. Lots of people can nominate someone for the NPP, so lots get nominated.

Admittedly, the committee's decisions on awarding the prize have often been questionable (the terms of the prize are a factor here, since it largely prevents getting any historical perspective on individual recipients), but being nominated doesn't mean much of anything. Just that you have a fan somewhere among the rather large body of potential nominators.

8. TrumpSlurp the Troll
    Trollface

Doesn't this raise more of a question....

.....about the incoming member?

Presumably it is on public record that the sitting member had agreed to step down IF she was appointed a judge.

Due diligence before quitting your high paid job should include double checking (with the sitter) that the seat was going to be vacated.

Granted that the length of the process through Senate confirmation hearings might have made any answer highly speculative, but surely she at least waited until after the Senate confirmed the appointment before quitting the previous job? You don't normally quit your current job after a successful first interview. You wait until you have a signed job offer. Unless, of course, she is guaranteed to be paid whilst sitting in the corridor waiting for the seat to be vacated (and to cool just enough to not be yucky when she dives for it).

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Doesn't this raise more of a question....

Oh, I don't know. Whenever I'm in a room with a lot of Delta employees, I'm usually ready to get out of it as soon as possible. Maybe Wilson felt the same way.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like