back to article We just wanna torque: Spinning transfer boffins say torque memory near

California-based Spin Transfer Technologies has claimed recent results of its "precessional spin current technology" – three years in the making – will make it easier to write data to spin transfer torque magnetic memory (STT-MRAM) and for that data to be retained more than 10,000 times longer. STT claimed "the results confirm …

1. Bronek Kozicki

I'd like to get excited, but ...

... too little detail here and too far from off-the-shelf availability.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Indeed

"Retained more than 10,000 times longer" than what? One second? One hour? One day? One millisecond?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Binary value

You mean like Dead or Alive?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Binary value

You mean like Dead or Alive?

Does not apply to cats.

2. Crisp

Re: You mean like Dead or Alive?

You spin me right round baby, right round.

3. TWB

Intriguing....

I'd love to think that one day there will be no difference between storage and memory and programmes will run from where they are and merely be added to the 'stack' or running applications - rather than having to write them from one place to another in RAM et*c, but I am not sure if computer architecture and OSes are ready for this yet.

I mean, how much technology is every really ready and finished when you buy it these days?

*Having said that, I wonder if having storage ('HDD/Flash: a bit more permanent') versus RAM (dynamic, expect it to change, easy to flush out etc) is maybe a good architecture which serves us well.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Intriguing....

That's basically how the old cartridge based games consoles used to work. All program code and static data in the cartridge was just mapped into the processor address space and referenced as is.

The biggest problem with mapping storage memory into the processor's address space would be performance. RAM has always been positioned very close to the processor. I wouldn't want to run executable code directly from a storage device - even a storage device directly on the PCI bus would be too slow. (I.e., you'd still have to copy code into the caches and with the hundreds of processes typically running on a modern system you'd end up with requiring much more cache memory to maintain performance, and ultimately you might as well just stick with RAM.)

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

@Def

If I may ask, do you mean physically close to the processor or architecturally?

Even then, what's stopping using RAM connections to the processor as is, but effectively just having huge chunks of NVRAM in the same place/connection that the existing VRAM DIMMs go?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

If I may ask, do you mean physically close to the processor or architecturally?

I primarily meant architecturally. but bus lengths directly affect signal quality, power requirements, transmission speeds, and latency, so in that respect the shorter the better. (And to be honest, I don't think I've ever seen a motherboard which didn't have the RAM slots directly next to the processor(s).)

2. The Mole

You can already get NVME SSD drives that are RAM DIMM sticks. The ones I've been presented about actually encrypt the content in hardware as well.

Linux already has some support for this depending what you want to do.

They can be mounted either as volatile RAM sticks (actually persistent, but if you reboot it forgets the previous encryption key, effectively wiping it), or be exposed as a disk that is persistent across reboots (a persistent ram-disks so to speak).

The biggest question is what the write endurance is. Current SSDs biggest limitation is the fact the cells stop working over so many writes, where as with RAM applications assume they can write an infinite amount of time. A naive global replacement of NVRAM with nvme storage would soon cause the nvme cells to be worn out. Hopefully this technology could be a complete replacement.

Even then there is a useful distinction between persistent and non-persistent storage of content. Linkers may modify the in-memory image of the application to insert references etc as appropriate, these shouldn't be written onto the persistent copy of the application as they may not be valid the next time it starts.

An os and applications designed for persistent memory would be an interesting evolution, potentially it would allow 'instant' on machines as the state would automatically be preserved at power off (assuming all components support it).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A single, unified, freely-rewritable storage space might not be such a good idea. For instance, what would happen when something went wrong with data in the OS working memory? At the moment, you can just reboot because it's the RAM contents that's wrong, not the disk. With a unified storage space, you'd have to reinstall the OS. Either that, or you'd need twice as much memory so that you can always have a "last known good" image.

1. Steve Knox

You'd still just reboot -- or you may be able to get away with restarting a given service or component (or you would if anyone really cared about writing a truly modular OS anymore.../rant>).

The key here is working memory -- That contains current state data, which the OS should reset to reasonable start-up values restart.

2. Charles 9

"A single, unified, freely-rewritable storage space might not be such a good idea. For instance, what would happen when something went wrong with data in the OS working memory?"

Even a unified memory architecture can use backups that can use things like rust to help maintain system integrity. It removes a degree of separation, yes, but there are ways around this.

3. Crypto Monad Silver badge

A single, unified, freely-rewritable storage space might not be such a good idea. For instance, what would happen when something went wrong with data in the OS working memory? At the moment, you can just reboot because it's the RAM contents that's wrong, not the disk. With a unified storage space, you'd have to reinstall the OS. Either that, or you'd need twice as much memory so that you can always have a "last known good" image.

Old minicomputers with core store were exactly like this. You could turn them off, turn them on, and they would continue running.

If the OS got corrupted, then you would toggle in a small bootstrap loader in binary via the front panel switches, which in turn would reload the OS from paper tape.

I am just old enough to have done this :-)

3. Milo Tsukroff

You wrote:

> I'd love to think that one day there will be no difference between storage

> and memory and programmes will run from where they are and merely

> be added to the 'stack' or running applications - rather than having to write

> them from one place to another in RAM et*c, but I am not sure if computer

> architecture and OSes are ready for this yet.

Real computers always did this, those with true computer architecture. Microprocessor-based computers have to copy data out of RAM, into on-board memory locations, and after processing is done, they have to copy the results back. I learned Assembly on the TI-99/4A, which was one of the only true computer-architecture microcomputers that was ever sold to the public. It used the TI TMS9900 chip, Its Assembly language included the LWPI (Load Workspace Pointer Immediate) instruction ... which does not exist in assembly languages for the Intel microprocessor lines. Because in those chips there is no workspace sitting in RAM along with programs and memory-mapped I/O, instead the workspace is replaced by on-board registers.

4. Dave 126 Silver badge

Safe around magnets?

Any ideas? I'm clueless.

1. steelpillow Silver badge

Re: Safe around magnets?

As safe as any other magnetic memory, which is to say safe enough for most purposes.

5. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

I didn't understand most of this article

1. steelpillow Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: I didn't understand most of this article

Spin is a quantum property of electrons (and, of course, almost by definition nobody understands that). The spins of electrons trapped in a material affect its magnetic properties. If they are all aligned they turn it into a magnet. Align them a different way and the magnetic field changes.

As any mechanical engineer will tell you, to change the spin of anything you have to apply a spin force called torque. By applying torque directly to the electrons in a magnetic memory cell you can change their spin and hence its magnetic field. All you then need to do is sense the magnetic field to read its state, and you have a viable memory cell.

The neat thing about this trick is that it uses less energy and less space than other more blunt-force methods of changing the magnetic field.

There's a lot more underlying tech to make it actually work, but I hope this helps

6. jms222

NV DDR5

The most interesting feature of DDR5 apart from it being one up from DDR4 is that it integrates non-volatile memory onto the same interface.

So the lines between volatile and not memory will get blurred anyway. Like core memory.

7. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Rust arrays

I wonder how this handles writes bleeding into adjacent cells - Rowhammer. Magnetic coupling is a bit harder to stop than capacitive coupling. You need distance, ferrous shielding, a shorting shield, or adjacent balanced opposing currents. All of those seem like they'd be incredibly bulky for memory storage. Forcing writes to happen in a large organized block could solve the problem too, but now you're driving latency up.

Unfortunately, the linked PDF wasn't quite about using STT for RAM.

8. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

"...meaning greater density in less space."

Hmmm...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

2025 solution

unfortunately MRAM total market is trivial today with no actual embedded mram products shipping from any foundry and the total MRAM market being .02% of the total memory market. so enhancements like this, if they actually worked, are not material until 2025 at best.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon