back to article DRAM makers sued (yet again) for 'fixing prices' (yet again) of chips

The three semiconductor giants responsible for nearly all of the world's DRAM supply are being sued for allegedly working together to keep memory chip prices high. A class-action complaint [PDF] filed to the US Northern California District Court late last week accuses Micron, Samsung, and Hynix of conspiring to keep the price …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

The complaint, put forward by named plaintiffs Michele Jones, David Laietta, Kimberly York, Benjamin Murray, and Wanta Dureya on behalf of anyyone in the US who purchased something containing DRAM from one of the three companies from July 1, 2016 through the February 1, 2018 lawyers and their friends

FTFY

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tech is just a Whose-Who of Crooks

Whether its Privacy lies & deceit, shoddy IoT-Security or being forced to overpay for sub-par tech! As regards choice: Is there a 'Physical Store' left anywhere in the world that offers say a Linux alternative to Win-10?

4. emv

Collusion

Obviously they colluded (sorry Donald). they are currently planning fake fab power outages at this moment

but it is not illegal to not add capacity.

Focus on the forced package deals buying NAND in order to get DRAM shipments. Thats collusion! SAD ... VERY SAD. Donald trump Jr was seen in Boise negotiating deals between Korea and Micron.

1. tacitust

Re: Collusion

But it is illegal if they at all colluded in deciding not to add capacity at the same time in order to raise prices and increase profits through keeping production artificially low.

5. Oh Homer
    Mushroom

Artificially restricting supply to jack up prices

Hmm, makes you wonder how De Beers got away with it for so long.

Also, given the number of times DRAM manufacturers have done this, clearly the penalties are a joke. These criminal "cost of doing business" directors need to be imprisoned, not "fined".

Free Market economics at its finest, folks.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Artificially restricting supply to jack up prices

It's not just DRAM makers, Ferrari, Aston-Martin, Rolls Royce and the one that I can't spell. All of these have artificially kept prices high by not building the same number of cars as Volkswagon or Toyota

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: Artificially restricting supply to jack up prices

Now if there were a DRAM maker out there who was providing chips with the same perceived 'value improvements' as the high-value car makers you cite - say, diamond encrusted packaging' and a similar premium over the commodity product, your argument might have a point.

As it is, you have utility makers apparently agreeing with each other to keep their prices at Ferrari levels.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't this the same as what Opec do?

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

But opec are in the west and these companies are in the east, therefore what they're doing is worserer.

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: these companies are in the East

Micron is a US company.

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

Yes, it is what OPEC do

But the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries are not subject to US or EU competition law, on account of being sovereign nations.

They aren't public companies listed on US/EU stock exchanges.

There's a very subtle clue in the name.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Yes, it is what OPEC do

Clue in the name? So we'll just gloss over the fact the US and UK are exporters as well?

1. Aitor 1

The UK is not part of OPEC.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Nor is the US. The point is there are a few manufacturers and they are colluding to fixing prices. Of course, the best solution would be for there to be more manufacturers, but if there was a new entrant, who sold at a lower price, this shower would lower their prices to the extent that the new entrant would not be able to make any money and would go out of business.

There is a similarity with oil here. Different oil producers have different break-even points. If prices are set low, some producers will still make some profit, while others will make a loss.

There are rules for this kind of stuff for a reason.

7. TrumpSlurp the Troll
    Mushroom

Whatever the outcome

It will take years.

Meanwhile I've been waiting for at least 6 months for the RAM price to come back down from roughly double the price I paid for the original 8GB to add some more RAM to my system.

Probably have to live with it for another 2-3 years. Everything seems to eat RAM these days. Whatever happened to 640k is enough? Presumably lazy coding because RAM and CPU cycles are assumed to be free these days by developers.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: "RAM and CPU cycles are assumed to be free these days by developers"

These days ?

That has been the case for the last two decades at least. It is far from being a new problem.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "RAM and CPU cycles are assumed to be free these days by developers"

I bought 16 GB of DRAM for my home PC for £70 back in 2015. I've kept an eye on it for the last while as I'd like to double it. Current price, from the same vendor is £166.

I wish I'd shelled out at the time.

8. Rol

Thank God for America...again!!

If the case is proved, will other trading nations seek compensation for its businesses and citizens?

I obviously exclude the UK from any such obligation, as we wouldn't want the populous grasping hold of any ideas they could seek a remedy in rip off Britain.

9. nematoad
    FAIL

Wot?

"As of today the company has not been served and does not comment on active litigation,""

OK, the company might not comment on active litigation but if they have not been served then there is no litigation active or otherwise to stop them answering some questions.

10. Dave Hilling

Ram me

The 32 GB of RAM for my current PC costs more than the Ryzen CPU, and MB combined.

:(

11. Ian Joyner Bronze badge

Samsung tax

People and the Register love to point out there is an "idiot" Apple, whether true or not. But it seems that the real ones imposing tax are Samsung and the others.

12. Hans 1

Crikey, RAM prices .. bought a decent 64Gb kit (4x16) with 55% off, still over €500, just bought an Nvidia 1080 for €400 and a 2k+ screen (31.5", 75Hz, QHD) €150 from an online retailer. This was returned kit the retailer flunks at varying prices, GPU came in a different box with a bent cache (the metal thing with all the HDMI/DP port connectors), straightened it inserts and works perfectly, the RAM looked new, as in, un-opened and works like a charm, still waiting for the screen ...

But yeah, these RAM guyz are fixing prices ...

13. pgm

Nothing new.

It's the old sell at a loss to force other competitors out ,and then after they are no longer in the marketplace and you have a monopoly,raise prices as much as you want because there are no competitors.

The Koreans have been caught red handed many, many times and are noted for it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like