back to article nbn™ CEO blames copper for performance problems

On his way out the door, nbn™ CEO Bill Morrow has written that at least some of the problems plaguing the National Broadband Network (NBN) can be attributed to its use of copper wires as a connection medium. It's something of a paradox that Morrow's document [PDF] was published as the UK regulator, Ofcom, warned BT it needed …

1. Andy Mac
    Facepalm

Icon says it all.

2. Scoular

Politicians should keep out of technology

In fact politicians should keep out of everything they do not understand.

Stick to ritual abuse and generally stupidity guys you excel there.

3. JJKing
    Unhappy

Bastard!

Well hasn't 457 morrow gotten brave since he handed in his notice. Shame the gutless twat didn't start saying this earlier. Instead we are left with an expensive mess thanks to the Australian Internet Inventor, an onion eater and their outrageous lies.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fixed wireless

So I suppose the crap performance of fixed wireless is entirely down to the NBN's incompetence then. I don't recall them having to take that over from anyone else.

1. Denarius

Re: Fixed wireless

fixed wireless and phone data speeds also slowed immensely by nature of web servers being used now. Little static html anymore, loads of bandwidth hogging java-script, java and each site connects to 10 other sites to download fonts, libraries and other lazy programmers kludges.

The Firefox ( ITIRC) tool that shows the network connections set up by a browsers shows high numbers when one connects to any simple site. How much of the load is snooping by data merchants ? How much of the political stuff-up was driven by mediocre senior bureaucrats and advisors stuck in the copper comms age who think STD is leading edge and advised the elected incompetents accordingly ?

2. lyalc

Re: Fixed wireless

Absolutely criminal that those of us on Fixed Wireless are seeing the same issues as many of those on copper - yet getting no joy from our ISPs and no expectation of a resolution date - to fix the Tower to POI congestion.

Even more incompetence at work for the capacity planning model - less that 2Mbps per subscriber has been under water for at least have the life of the No Bloody Network" . The last paragraph of the article, in my, points to a significant cause of the problem - planning by people who probably got significant bonuses for cost savings while the rest of Australia limps along barely above 56k dial-up speed, when compared to the 'promise' of 100 or even 25Mbps.

In our case, the best upgrade we have experienced in almost 30 years of internet use across 4 continents was when we upgraded from the "No Bloody Network" to ADSL 2.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

“Massive-Technological Mistake” (MTM)

Malcolm Turnbulls Model (MTM),

Malcom-Tony Muckup (MTM),

Madly-Terminating Members (MTM),

“multi-technology model” (MTM),

1. Geoff_Aus

Re: “Massive-Technological Mistake” (MTM)

Dont forget NBN: No Bloody Network

6. Mark 65

Mandated Telstra dealings

that the use of Telstra copper was a political, not an economic, mandate

Funny that, as of 28/8/2009 the Government's Future Fund (you know, the one that holds the money to cover their superannuation liabilities) held over 1.3bn Telstra shares according to this

statement from the fund itself (10+% of the company)

http://www.futurefund.gov.au/news-room/2016/11/11/media-release---future-fund-sells-34-per-cent-of-its-telstra-holding

I doubt they've made any large sales since as they normally state so.

That's a nice incentive to juice your pension pot. Before anyone dares state "but if they didn't cover it in the fund it would come out of taxation" - it just did. The fuckers.

7. VerySlowData
    Facepalm

The NBN will never be finished

Why don't Trumbull and his idiot crew supported by Shorten and his idiot crew admit that the whole NBN thing was an unmitigated cockup and just aim for a 10Gbps public backbone across the wide brown land then get ISPs to organize interconnects to Telco's and their infrastructure in towns, cities and suburbs via appropriate affordable/speedy media for end users (retail/business) Could be fibre/5G/wet string; whatever satisfies the customer need.. simples (thank you, sergei..)

8. Scott Marshall
    FAIL

NBN - Nobbled, Buggered, Neutered

The nbn™ was a great idea, but the implementation has left much to be desired.

The ISPs/RSPs need to lift their act too, as from what I can see none of them seem to offer any tools to help their customers choose an appropriate (??!!) nbn™ plan from their offerings.

It should be easy; customer logs in to their account on the ISP and clicks the "help me convert to nbn™" link.

From there, the ISP (who already knows their customer's current plan inclusions) could produce a summary table showing "current plan" and "nbn™ best match".

A web form could also be pre-filled with all the customer's current information and plan details and then the customer could select any additional "nbn™" features they wanted, before hitting "submit", "confirm", "go for it".

Well, one may very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.®

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like