back to article Springwatch: Windows 10 spotters May have to wait a few more weeks

Windows 10 Springwatch is headed for a fourth week, with the troubled update rumoured to have a name and possibly a release date. Having been pulled at the last minute due to "reliability issues" causing an unusually high number of Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) errors, the update has gone missing in action. A week after Windows …

1. djstardust

That's really spooky .....

My previous search prior to loading ElReg was:

"How to completely disable Windows 10 updates"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That's really spooky .....

I've a .reg file good to go just in case. Personally, I'm not using Windows 10 at all. Just another item in my field kit.

2. TheVogon

"How to completely disable Windows 10 updates"

And be a repository of malware for the rest of us? There are built in options to delay updates. Use those if you don't trust Microsoft to get it right first time. If you feel you need to disable them then use Linux instead. Please.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And be a repository of malware for the rest of us?

Since MS are unable to update all their customers without breaking their machines then any non-MS malware that gets a foot in is every windows 10 user's fault, without you then there would be no windows 10.

If you want windows then you have to accept that over a long enough time everyone is going to have to deal with MS "coding" error, if disabling updates results in additional problem to the ones MS make for you then that is what you signed up for.

Microsoft policy has always been never to cry over spilt milk, if some users want to put a lid on the jug then this is all part and parcel of what windows is about.

2. TVU Silver badge

"And be a repository of malware for the rest of us? There are built in options to delay updates. Use those if you don't trust Microsoft to get it right first time. If you feel you need to disable them then use Linux instead. Please"

Well, what you can do is tell your relatives that there's a new version of Windows that's resistant to malware to try out and then you can install Linux Mint Mate with the Redmond theme and not get any calls any more about Windows 10 updates causing upset.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's really spooky .....

MY previous search prior to loading ElReg was:

"How to completely disable Windows 10"

TFTFY.

4. Ken 16 Silver badge
      Trollface

It looks like you're trying to completely disable Windows

Would you like me to

* Report you to Microsoft?

* Reformat your hard drive?

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: It looks like you're trying to completely disable Windows

You missed one:

* Report you to Microsoft *and* reformat your hard drive

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It looks like you're trying to completely disable Windows

Would you like me to

* Report you to Microsoft?

* Reformat your hard drive?

Since this is windows users and I am not using windows then the only option which you are likely to capable of is the first. In that instance since MS clearly do not care about their own users then any action they do take is more likely to be against you. So do your worst

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Oh dear

I feel embarrassed for the churnalist who submitted this drivel as copy.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They can

delay the abomination that is Windows 10 indefinitely.

My short lived (3 months) use of it succeeded in convincing me that compared to windows 7 it is an utter travesty. I tried so hard but decided that having to fuck around to do the most BASIC of tasks I need to do wasn't worth my time. I'd rather learn a completely new OS than struggle trying to do the things I can accomplish in 3 or 4 mouse clicks currently with W7, now I have to duckduckgo to work out how to do.

No, MS can keep their bug ridden shite.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      Mushroom

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No doubt you also complained when dragged from XP to Windows 7.

Stuff changes, get over it.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Honestly, XP to Win 7 was a piece of cake. Win 7 to Win 10 . . well, let's just say that my servers are now running Mint.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
          WTF?

So the change from Win 7 to Mint was less than the change from Win 7 to Win 10?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

7 to Mint

I assume Mint lets you do what you need to. 10 specifically works against the users decisions (forced updates resetting settings).

2. Updraft102

So the change from Win 7 to Mint was less than the change from Win 7 to Win 10?

In a word, yes. Windows 7 and Mint are both operating systems that were designed for a standard PC with a mouse (or a touchpad) and keyboard, and that are quite clear in their duty to serve the interests of the owner of the PC. Windows 10 is a "cloud service" monstrosity whose main purpose is to serve Microsoft's interests and monetize its already paying customers, with a UI that doesn't appear to have actually been designed for any one use case at all, but is more or less a half-phone touch interface haphazardly duct taped to a conventional PC interface, in a prime example of "a jack of all trades is master of none."

Windows 7 and Mint are both meant to be stable foundations for the real stars of the show, the programs, to build upon. Windows 10 is always changing, trying to steal the show like the titular character in those old I Love Lucy reruns, largely untested and of perpetual beta quality as a result. Here we are in the 4th month of 2018 (1804, in MS parlance) waiting for 1803 to be released, and being told it's been delayed to 1805, while the previous version, 1709, has yet to achieve release quality even after having been the released version for more than six months.

If I learned that Satya Nadella was secretly an employee of Google or Apple sent to destroy Windows, that would actually make a good deal more sense than any more likely explanation. There's simply no scenario I can think of in which a reasonable person thinks treating Windows users like this is going to keep the Windows brand strong and viable going forward. It looks like a deliberate attempt to monetize it for all its worth now and to gradually bleed it down to a desiccated husk that it can then discard with impunity. I don't care about the rest of Microsoft; Windows is the only product of theirs I have even the remotest interest in, but only in a historical sense. Windows up through 7 (and 8 isn't bad if you modify the heck out of it... it's what I use when I am not in Linux) are of interest to me, but their days are numbered. Windows 10... not a chance.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

ME > Vista?

Vista > 8

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Most people liked windows7( hence why MS abandoned it) and when XP users complained of their upgrade is was because it was to Vista.

Stuff does change but having the option to change or not was something that MS were denying.

I can understand you being grumpy, you no doubt came here to post about how great windows10 and how MS is wonderful but found yourself unexpectedly faced with reality.

Non-windows people post in the hope that eventually some of it will sink in, personally I think you did something really bad in a previous life and deserve everything MS does to you.

3. jelabarre59

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No doubt you also complained when dragged from XP to Windows 7.

Actually, I found Win7 just a little bit better than WinXP, especially when I tried it on a ThinkPad T23. Since my standard practice in installing MSWin is to disable the themes service, it wouldn't even look much different. And not using the built-in applications helped too.

Win8.x could be made usable (but still fugly) with a sufficient application of ClassicShell and the appropriate 3rd-party applications (usually open-source ones), but still felt half-baked at best (more like burnt on the outside and still frozen in the middle). Win10 seemed a little more "finished" (I hesitate to say "polished", unless you were referring to turds) but takes a lot more work to remove it's more obnoxious features and slurpishness, and nothing can be done to remove it's fugliness.

But there's one particular machine I always shut off updates on around this time of year, and that is my brother's machine in the Catskills. It's a 90-min drive just to get there, and his DSL sucks. So a bloated Win10 update is way more likely to trash his machine than to update it (a combination of DSL timeouts and Murphy). Therefore I will wait until an extended weekend where he can bring the machine to my house to backup and update.

Realistically he should just run the LinuxMint partition and forget about MSWin. The only MSWin-specific applications he's running are 20-year-old versions of Quicken and Family Tree Maker (which work fine under Crossover).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They can

Me too, I am staying with Windows 7.

It just works, is supported for the next 3 years. And with Win7 one has full control, and can remove/avoid all spying updates that get shipped regularly by Windows Update since 2014. Only dumb sheeps choose their own hangmen.

4. Blockchain commentard

Can you trust that news if the Twitter handle is pronounced 'fakey' - Trump wouldn't !!!

5. largefile

Haven't personally had any issues to speak of with the last few fast ring builds of Windows 10. Been running an 1803 build for many months now. Some of you folks are just blinded by your hatred of Microsoft. Meanwhile, the OS continues to move forward and Microsoft as a company is having yet another renaissance, rewarding users and shareholders alike.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/26/microsoft-earnings-q3-2018.html

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Mmm, are you a home user with a single computer by any chance?

I'm paid to deliver a working enviroment for our users. I can definately do that on Win7 and an earlier version of office. Office 2016 is a problem, randomly breaking functionality with obviously untested updates and causing more disruption and a support burden than is justifable when basic features are broken. Microsoft are sitting there with their fingers in there ears saying "Lalalalala" in response which does not generate much confidence in them doing anything else when it comes to problems with Win10. It's neither "people ready" or stable enough to bet large numbers of jobs on, mine first and foremost.

We now have 18 months until Win7 reaches the end of support and we've got to have moved to something else. Win10 does not show encouraging signs of being business ready. I think Microsoft thinks that time is running out for business to switch. I think that time is now quickly running out for Microsoft to maintain their dominance of the business space, as most people have backup plans and they need 6-18 months to implement them. That leaves the decision points kicking in from the end of next month for the earliest people.

For my part, when considering switching business software recently we elected to go for a cloud based system accessed via webpage. We therefore shall no longer require endpoints running office, which removes the dependancy on Exchange, which removes the dependancy on Windows desktops, which removes any requirement for windows servers.

Personally, I might prefer to stick with Microsoft, having rather more experiance with managing their software than the alternatives. But if they don't provide what we need then we shall end up with something that fufils those needs that's not a Microsoft product.

"Nobody got fired for buying Microsoft" is no longer a thing. After one or two years of waiting, 2020 might well be the year of *nix on the desktop due to Microsoft deliberately driving their business customers away. I can't fathom what the fuck they think they are doing- given that they have discontinued their bloody phones anyway it's not as if the "force everybody to use the winphone interface and hope they get used to it and then buy a winphone" strategy makes the slightest bit of sense now.

2. Updraft102

I'm "blinded" by my hatred of operating systems of permanent beta quality that pretend to be cloud services and that think they can do whatever they like with my PC. As it turns out, my hatred of Microsoft is a relatively new thing, having mysteriously appeared at some point around the last half of 2015. For the quarter century preceding, I rather liked Windows, and while I was critical of some things MS did (like using their monopoly power to crush Netscape), it wasn't on par with, say, my contempt for Apple (or, more recently, Google).

AOL's stock price was sky high right at the point when they merged with Time-Warner. Where is AOL now? What is AOL now, for that matter? A free email provider with about six subscribers worldwide?

Things change, and investors often get irrationally exuberant when they see a prospectus with all kinds of buzzwords like "cloud" sprinkled all over the place, and as such, they don't always realize the emperor has no clothes until long after the fact. Whether or not that happens to Microsoft remains to be seen, but you can bank on one thing right now: The "renaissance" of Microsoft has nothing to do with Windows. The former star of the show and crown jewel of the MS empire has been relegated to a sideshow curiosity. It hardly even gets mentioned anymore in any of Microsoft's mission statements or "exciting" presentations about their visions for a cloud-encumbered future.

6. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
    Happy

Windows 10: Where is your God now?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like