back to article Facebook: Crisis? What crisis? Look at our revenue, it's fantastic

Edison Research analyst Richard Windsor thinks you should sell Facebook stock – despite the social media octopus posting record numbers. The reason? Facebook's operating expenditure is set to mushroom as it hires humans to police its network in response to criticism about advertising. "This will result in weakness in the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook / Google are the biggest Con-Artists in Silly-con Valley

The question is how long can the con go. Bernie Madoff lasted decades!

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-04-24/make-facebook-and-google-information-fiduciaries

1. ratfox

Re: Facebook / Google are the biggest Con-Artists in Silly-con Valley

Why con artists? Madoff was a fraud from the beginning, but they're actually making money, and more money every year. They have a stranglehold on the online advertising business in much of the western world, and that business is booming. It's going to take a very long time for that to change. Putting more regulations on data privacy would actually benefit them, because it would make it harder on new entrants to break the market.

1. tom dial Silver badge

Re: Facebook / Google are the biggest Con-Artists in Silly-con Valley

There might come a time, though, when it appears that online advertising, whether or not targeted, has less effect than its vendors would like to have their customers think. I sometimes am a bit mystified by rants about it until temporarily disabling my ad blocker; my wife has not received scareware (browser lockup with audio "Important message from Micro Soft") since I installed on on her laptop.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

'Why con artists?'

From the link:

"they cannot act like con artists -- inducing trust in their end-users to obtain personal information and then betraying end-users or working against their interests."

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Instagram is the real story

Instagram is making a lot of money and has much lower overheads than the rest of the echo chamber.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Instagram is the real story

Yes, but it needs policing too. The real question in my mind is, will Zuck actually keep his promise to hire 20,000 humans to do it?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

come on you lucky people!

{with apologies to Tommy Trinder and you have to be of a certain age to know of him}

Roll up, roll up.

Login to Facebook for your daily fix

Of lies, gossip and insults.

Oh and don't forget to view all those lovely adverts.

We just love those adverts and we know you will too

They keep the lights on and Zuck's fleet of private jets flying.

You know it makes sense

And don't forget to come back, same time, same place tomorrow for your next fix.

Or just give FB and the rest the finger and let them wither and die.

4. JohnFen

Just goes to show

Just goes to show that horrible companies can be very profitable. But we already knew that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: horrible companies

which of the very profitable companies are NOT horrible? You'd think being profitable actually goes with being horrible. Obviously, as an investor, the only gauge you use is, on the scale of 0 to 10, being profitable, but I mean, from an average human viewpoint.

1. JohnFen

Re: horrible companies

I actually know of, and do business with, a lot of profitable companies that not only avoid being horrible, are actually good for themselves, their customers, and society.

They are all small companies, though. I do think that a certain amount of evil is required to become a very successful large corporation or an extremely wealthy individual. It's pretty much built into how business is funded in the US.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Zucker said "Im heading for the door......." ?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Damage control

You need to scan your ID card and provide it to Feacebook to delete your account ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Damage control

Are you kidding?

8. Pete 2 Silver badge

Supertramp

OK, I can deal with the Crisis? What Crisis? line.

But is this really the Crime of the Century.

1. Dave Pickles

Re: Supertramp

Bloody Well Right...

1. The Nazz

Asylum

More like.

easy does it, it's just a normal day.

And, I am not like other birds of prey.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

I am not like other birds of prey

Upvote for quoting from their first album. To my ears, probably their best album in terms of songwriting (as described to my wife: "a more hippy album you couldn't hope to hear"..).

But then, Maybe I'm a Beggar.. and should Try Again (or leave the Words Unspoken)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"hires humans to police its network"

Surely it will just build an AI system trained by the current humans, then get rid of them?

10. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    FAIL

"you should sell Facebook stock"

Right. A company creates jobs in the US and Wall Street's first reaction is : punish it.

I don't like FaceBook either (far from), but you really should get your ducks in a line. You cannot complain about the level of unemployement and lack of jobs and simultaneously call for selling stock of US companies that create jobs.

Schizophrenic idiots.

1. iromko

Re: "you should sell Facebook stock"

I saw no indication that these jobs will be in US. Certainly, some would be, but if they declare intent to police the content in places like Myanmar, they surely won't hire people in US for that.

2. JohnFen

Re: "you should sell Facebook stock"

"You cannot complain about the level of unemployement and lack of jobs and simultaneously call for selling stock of US companies that create jobs."

Why not?

Are you really saying that job creation is such a high ideal that we should tolerate any level of abuse for it? I think that we should demand more from companies than that.

Also, relying on large corporations as the primary source of jobs is a recipe for disaster. Most jobs in the US don't come from such companies, and the US is the better for it.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oh?

I thought that most people on facebook deleted their accounts in protest / outrage / disgust / shock / bout of sanity / delete as appropriate?

p.s. that was sarcasm.

12. Simplet0n

Facebook would be easier to stomach if UK gov collected a reasonable amount of tax from them. Same goes for Google..................and Apple.................................and Amazon, Ill stop there the list is too long.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like