back to article Cash-sprinkler Softbank and Alphabet hand over $1.9bn to Manbang

Japan's investment cash firehose Softbank and America's definitely-not-Google holding company Alphabet want you to use Manbang, and are paying $1.9bn for the pleasure. They want workers at shipping companies to hail passing trucks in the same way that drunk revellers use popular app-based taxi hailing services. China's …

1. Korev Silver badge
    Facepalm

Sniggers

My other favourite name, Uparse

2. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge
    Trollface

Manbang, Dong Energy and Uparse.

Right, any others that we can have a laugh at?

1. S4qFBxkFFg
      1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

One of the very early websites from the 1990's, sadly long gone, belonged to a Mexican company called Grupo Industrial Arse.

2. Sam Therapy
    2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Analtech.

http://www.ichromatography.com/

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So if Manbank, Dong energy and Uparse want to collaberate on a project, we should all look (away)?

1. rskurat

They merged a few years ago, it's called Grindr.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BAPS?

The umbrella group for plastic surgeons in the UK changed it's name from British Association of Plastic Surgeons some years ago. Can't think why. I'm still feeling for an IT angle though.

http://www.bapras.org.uk/

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Back in the mid 90's I worked for a software firm which, to get around the single-user limitations of MS Access, developed it's own multiuser database called "Batch User Level Location System for Hierarchical Information Tasking". We were told to not refer to it by it's acronym after it was pointed out to senior management shortly after the guy that created it left the company. This chap was clearly ahead of his time as even today DBA's still emit the same.

5. Pliny the Whiner

Okay, what about Huochebang?

I wonder if the parent company's name Huochebang is pronounced who-chee-bang? Yeah. "Hootchie" is an Americanism that means something all on its own.

1. hj

Re: Okay, what about Huochebang?

Maybe that's where the "whole shebang" comes from?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Danish internet exchange is known as the DIX.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Acronyms

I once worked at a University (one of the ex poly ones) that merged with another and they set up a page to suggest new names. The one suggested by some lady colleagues of mine was City University North Thames!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Manbang is reportedly backed by China's Tencent group

TenCent should be avoided at all costs!

Recently, the Indian Army blacklisted 48 applications due to spying concerns.

Almost all of them are related to TenCent:

Over the past couple of days the Indian Intelligence Bureau has warned that the Chinese government has been collecting data through multiple apps made by Chinese developers. Many of these apps are made by Tencent, a known beneficiary of the Chinese government whose apps have been featured on this site a few times as well as DU Apps and Cheetah Mobile. Please uninstall any of these apps from your phone:

360 Security

Apus Browser

Baidu Translate

BeautyPlus

CM browser

CacheCleaner

Clean Master

DU Browser

DU Cleaner

DU Privacy

DU Recorder

DU Battery Saver

ES File Explorer

MI Store

MI community

Mail Master

Mi Video Call

NewsDog

Parallel Space

Perfect Corp

Photo Wonder

QQ International

QQ Launcher

QQ Mail

QQ Music

QQ Newsfeed

QQ Player

QQ Security Centre

Selfie City

ShareIt

TrueCaller

UC News

UC browser

Vault Hide

Virus Cleaner

Viva Video

WeChat

WeSync

Weibo

Wonder Camera

YouCam Makeup

What is even more interesting is that some of those apps that were blacklisted are produced at a company where one of the CEO's from Emerdata (Cambridge Analytica offshoot) used to be an admin.

#Mr Johnson Chun Shun Ko used to be the "Independent Non-exucutive director" of: Meitu, Inc. that produce phones and apps such as:

"Beauty Plus", "Beauty Cam", "SELFIECITY", "MeituPic" and others.

More interesting than that is those Meitu apps I listed all contain the now infamous Facebook Graph API.

Connecting the dots.

9. Jtom

"Someone here order a truck pickup through Manbang? Here I am, just load 'er up. See ya later."

"Wait, he never got the delivery address, and what's this truck pulling in?"

Should be fun. It will happen.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like