back to article Amazon and Netflix join Hollywood to lob sueball at 'Kodi' service SetTV

Silicon Valley has historically been at war with Hollywood, so Amazon and Netflix's membership of a studio-dominated anti-piracy alliance may raise eyebrows. But it shouldn't: Amazon and Netflix are big studios now in their own right, and Apple is expected to join them. Last week the recently formed Alliance for Creativity and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shame they couldn't have joined together ...

to try and create sensible packages/offerings of their output instead ...

1. Hans 1

Re: Shame they couldn't have joined together ...

Indeed, can they not make a legit plugin for kodi ? Dicking around with creating full chromium debs for pi's is a bit of a pain...

Yes, even you, Apple, you can do it ... BTW, does iTunes support flac, yet ?

Thing is, they are too thick, have not seen the market potential, yet ...

1. Andrew Oakley

I would pay more money than my Raspberry Pi costs (it's a 3, so, er... £32), to have a legit Amazon Prime or Netflix plugin for Kodi. I subscribe to both; in the case of Netflix I subscribe to the top-end tier as I have a billion children who all want to watch it at once.

Having said that, Kodi works okay on an Amazon TV Stick, which also does Netflix. You have to sideload Kodi but once there, it works acceptably, if your definition of "acceptably" includes performance on a par with a RPi 1 and an inability to stay loaded to scan the library in the background on cron. It provides an icon on the Fire TV home screen and plays back my licence-fee-paid library of TV recordings in 720p just fine. Struggles a bit with full HD (damn you, beautifully-shot BBC4 history documentaries), but who has the storage for full HD who can't also afford a decent dedicated media player?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Are the inputs on your TV broken?

If you're willing to access their content through their legit app, then why aren't you willing to run it on a second device that's actually supported?

Any of the gaming consoles from the current and previous generation all have Netflix apps, and just about every Smart TV or Blu-Ray player has them included as well--so what's with the excuses?

The bottom line is that if your hang-ups about Netflix or Amazon are all because they don't support the homebrew device that you've cobbled together, then it's entire upon you to change what you're doing--not them.

If it's simply a matter of money, then it again sounds like you've only got yourself and your apparently lack rhythm/timing to blame on that one--nobody held a gun to your head and forced you to have "a billion children" as you've said, and nobody is stopping you from legally using Netflix or Amazon on any number of consumer devices that are officially supported.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

If Kodi 18 has officially supported Netflix and Amazon, a UI that isn't crap, its own add-ons which you can mix and match as you want, complete control over your own videos, as well as PVR, and Unix behind it, the question is why wouldn't any self-respecting commentard?

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"If you're willing to access their content through their legit app, then why aren't you willing to run it on a second device that's actually supported?

Because it would be nice to have everything all in one box. It's already bad enough needing multiple subscriptions because of the fragmentation of the distributors and streaming services without fragmenting the supported playback devices too.

"Any of the gaming consoles from the current and previous generation all have Netflix apps, and just about every Smart TV or Blu-Ray player has them included as well--so what's with the excuses?"

And just how long are the apps on those devices supported for? I don't have a "smart" TV for precisely that reason. My 4 year old BluRay play is no longer "smart" as the apps are no longer updated or supported. The expected life of a BluRay player, like a TV, is a lot more than 4 years. A well written Kodi add-on should run on pretty much any device that Kodi runs on.

1. TonyJ

If you have an android get a FireTV box (not stick- not enough grunt)

Get Apps2Fire.

You can now send any android app on your phone to the FireTV.

I have the official Netflix app, Prime TV and a few others as well as plex, kodi and even Sky go.

All on one box.

3. JWLong

"and nobody is stopping you from legally using Netflix or Amazon on any number of consumer devices that are officially supported."

What they are doing is stopping Netflix and Amazon from slurping their private data by using Kodi.

Both Netflix and Amazom Prime are paid services. So fuck them both if I use a media player that doesn't allow them to sniff my shit.

Here, I officially support this, TO FUCK'n BAD FOR YOU NETFLIX and AMAZON....I don't pay to my shit SNIFFED!

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

What are you objecting to them sniffing, what programs you watched? If you are really that concerned you could swap accounts with a different friend every month (assuming you have a lot of equally paranoid friends)

But what you are really saying is that you want to not pay anything for their stuff, so you have seized upon "sniffing my shit" as your excuse to try to justify your theft.

1. JWLong

Hey DougS,

I pay for both Netflix AND Amazon you fuck'n moron.

I don't pay to have my shit sniffed.

Is that to hard for you to understand?

2. Hans 1
    Paris Hilton

Well, Kodi is a fine solution. These thugs, however, are making $$$ selling kodi devices with illegal plugins. Profiteering from the work of others, and silly them, defrauding media outlets -> never ever do that, they will most probably face multi-life-time-sentences, nobody is to defraud the billionaires ...

1. ds6 Silver badge

Makes the rest of us that use Kodi—an opensource project and nothing more—look like criminals. Say "Kodi" to any of the uneducated masses and you get back either "What's that?" or "You pirate movies?"

It's a MEDIA PLAYER. Come on, people!

3. Lee D Silver badge

There's nothing wrong with the app. It's supplied without modules. It's illegal to supply it with modules like that. And they don't endorse, condone or assist piracy.

It's like suing VLC for it letting you play RTSP streams of Hollywood movies - the problem is the people streaming, not the people making media software. You could go so far to clamp down on Kodi modules that connect you straight to such services, but again it's the module's fault, not the player. No different to giving out a list of RTSP streams and something that loads them into VLC as a playlist.

It's such misdirection that frustrates when it comes to enforcement. Kodi has nothing to do with it, the same way that Hoover has nothing to do with a Vileda vacuum cleaner.

As such, rather than worry about the software being used, people should be shutting down those people quite openly streaming Hollywood movies over bog-standard website streams that rarely get shut down or changed, hosted on well-known services and portals, and seem to survive for years without hindrance (while also peddling a ton of spam, adverts and malware).

Why you would want to watch like that, I can't fathom. Streaming is the worst way to watch a movie, but apparently popular with the kids. If it's not randomly blocky and horrible, it cuts out and stops.

Same as the BitTorrent site whack-a-mole - don't blame BitTorrent... find the sites offering things they shouldn't and the user's uploading and sharing stuff illegally.

1. Ben Tasker

It's like suing VLC for it letting you play RTSP streams of Hollywood movies

I know it's completely unrelated to the point your making (which I agree with), but feel the need to say this.

Those who stream in RTSP deserve everything they get.

1. Richard 22

They're not suing Kodi

From the article, they don't even _mention_ Kodi in the lawsuit. It's pure clickbait by the Register to drag the Kodi name through the mud and associate them with the outfit being taken to court (Settvnow) who happen to use Kodi as a convenient media player which will work on an cheap STB.

Kodi have stated many times that they do not condone/support the use of Kodi for such piracy services.

1. Anonymous Custard

Re: They're not suing Kodi

Maybe we should start referring to this place as "Chrome service The Register" or "Internet Explorer service The Register" (or whichever browser is your preference)? It's about as factually accurate.

Still (as a member of Team Kodi) it's heartening to see people here who know our stance concerning piracy (and lack of condoning or support for it), although it's equally saddening that it's comments and not the articles of this site who get it right rather than joining the gutter trash press in stooping to clickbait.

We don't make boxes (or indeed any kind of hardware kit, although a couple of items are licenced to use the logo) nor do we provide services or media. There's no such thing as an "official Kodi box", or indeed any kind of Kodi box. There are just boxes which other people have installed Kodi on and sold, again without any kind of endorsement from us.

1. israel_hands

... it's equally saddening that it's comments and not the articles of this site who get it right rather than joining the gutter trash press in stooping to clickbait.

It's not the Register as such, it's the author's own bias. He's got a huge problem with various things including Kodi, Google, ad blockers, Google, Wikipedia, Google net neutrality and, oddly enough, Stephen Fry.

Some of his commentary is reasonably accurate, but mostly he just wants to grind his axe while clouding his nonsensical arguments in pseudo-intellectual bollocks.

If you really want to see him gnashing his teeth and wailing, get Stephen Fry to officially endorse Kodi.

1. TonyJ

Thing is, I can just about understand non-IT journalists jumping on a headline, hopping over to, say eBay and seeing all those adverts for "fully loaded" Kodi boxes and thereby putting two and two together to get five.

The don't do any due diligence to determine that, actually, there is no such thing as a "fully loaded Kodi box" and that what are being sold, as said above, are OEM boxes with a version of Android and Kodi pre-installed.

Some of them, to be fair (although not many from what I see) come with just a base copy of Kodi and none of the crud, but clearly most don't.

However...for a supposed tech journalist on a site like El Reg to get it so blatantly wrong just shows lazy bias for reasons we can only assume at.

The rest of us here, at least, can understand the disconnect between these kind of robbing low life's and what Kodi actually is, does and stands for. Just a shame so many others don't

2. blcollier

@Anonymous Custard

I regret that I only have one upvote to give you.

I've been a big fan of Kodi since the days when it was called XBMP (yes, even before XBMC) so I truly appreciate the hard work of all of Team Kodi.

This wouldn't be the first time that El Reg has mentioned Kodi in the headlines of a story which actually has nothing to do with Kodi itself when you dig into it: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/25/kodi_boxes_fail_safety_standards/. Oh look, who was the author of that story, I wonder...

2. JohnFen

This. Kodi's not being sued. It's an entirely legitimate and legal piece of software.

I use Kodi heavily -- but oddly, I suppose, not for video. I use it as the front end for my sound system.

2. Sil

What do you mean? Is there a better protocol?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

What do you mean? Is there a better protocol?

All the cool kids use DASH nowadays.

1. JohnFen

A better protocol that doesn't involve HTTP, maybe?

4. frank ly

Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment (ACE)

Is that what they claim to be or what they are trying to achieve?

1. JWLong

Re: Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment (ACE)

No, just another acronym for "Assholes in charge".

5. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Meh

Amazon and Netflix join Hollywood to lob sueball at 'Android' service SetTV

Just fixing the headline. Or maybe...

Amazon and Netflix join Hollywood to lob sueball at 'ARM' service SetTV

Or perhaps...

Amazon and Netflix join Hollywood to lob sueball at 'HDMI' service SetTV

Etc... etc...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like