back to article Yahoo! dismemberment! begins! as! Oath! offloads! Flickr!

Yahoo!’s photo-sharing service Flickr has been acquired by SmugMug. Neither Yahoo!, Flickr, the pair’s parent company Oath, or SmugMug, have been crass enough to explain how much currency changed hands to make this happen. But all concerned are at pains to point out that nothing will change: there’s no plan for close Flickr, …

1. TRT Silver badge

Hm. Well Flickr is almost back to how it was as a serious, customisable photostore come social media platform before Yahoo! ruined it with new compulsory layout changes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In that case I might go back and look at my Flickr account. I stopped using it years ago when Yahoo! turned it into picture wallpaper that was difficult to scan by eye for things of interest.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"In that case I might go back and look at my Flickr account. "

Did that - and the "what's new" picture stream still just scrolls unpredictably so you

1) miss some

2) see some several times

3) can never find one again

2. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

If you take away all the yahoo! accounts used as authentication for flickr, the one remaining yahoo! user is going to get a bit lonely.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"[...] the one remaining yahoo! user is going to get a bit lonely."

Yahoo! Groups are still useful and apparently far less intrusive than FaceBoook.

One group was deserted by some influential members who started a closed FaceBook group instead. Recently they have been popping up in the Yahoo! Group complaining bitterly about FaceBook policies - and that was before FaceBook's email that said "accept our new privacy T&Cs or you're out".

1. Steve K

Bit like the new Oculus ones then

"accept our new privacy T&Cs or you're out".

That's a bit like the new Oculus Terms of Service - basically accept or you pretty well can't use your Rift device (maybe can still do via Steam) or downloads from their store....

2. jelabarre59

Yahoo! Groups are still useful and apparently far less intrusive than FaceBoook.

Useful only if you don't want to search past messages. A group that's been on YahooGroups ever since the Yahoos took over OneList has 74K messages in it's archive, but if you try searching for a past message, it will ONLY search throughj 300-message batches at a time. The particular batch you're looking through may not have any matches, but the next 300-message subset *might*, or might not. That means you will have to click through a search *160 times* to find everything. And Google doesn't seem able to index them either.

3. Hans 1

How much ?

Neither Yahoo!, Flickr, the pair’s parent company Oath, or SmugMug, have been crass enough to explain how much currency changed hands ...

Since the value of Yahoo! is a bag of crisps, I guess Flickr is probably worth half a bag ...

1. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

Re: How much ?

Why are people like you so ridiculous? You think you're so clever saying "the value of Yahoo! is a bag of crisps" don't you? Come on, be a bit realistic, it's worth a piece a string with a bit of packing tape at each end, at most.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: How much ?

"Come on, be a bit realistic, it's worth a piece a string with a bit of packing tape at each end, at most."

The old analogy is of the rag and bone man*** offering you a goldfish OR a balloon - but not both.

***A horse and cart collector of household recyclable salvage - originally literally rags and bones - see "Steptoe and Son".

4. Korev Silver badge
    Thumb Up

"The service has remained popular with photographers, but trails the likes of Facebook and Google trail it in terms of sheer quality of images stored."

Fixed it for you....

5. Hugh McIntyre

Re: "no plans to change..."

Normally all mergers say "no plans to change", but then after a discreet delay most do in fact change the acquired or original product. For example see Friday's BOFH.

In this case they might mean it though because one of the FAQs says that anyone who has both paid SmugMug and Flickr Pro accounts will continue to get charged for both, so they would presumably lose revenue if they immediately merged the products into one.

Also, the sharing/privacy mechanisms do not work the same way :(

6. Mage Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

Serious lens people?

Serious Lens people do not rely on a 3rd person cloud that everyone thinks contains free to use images.

1. Hugh McIntyre

Re: Serious lens people?

Maybe for Flickr. SmugMug has always charged more money, and is more about customizable websites and higher priced tiers where photographers can set pricelists for photos. If the lens-person's SmugMug site contains password-protected galleries only visible to paying customers then "everyone" won't be able to look for free-to-use images, for example.

Also Flickr Pro was $24.99 per year (plus the free tier) but even the cheapest SmugMug plan is $48/year, with others at $72/year, $180, or $360/year, and no free options. Perhaps this is why SmugMug is the one buying Flickr and not vice versa?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Also Flickr Pro was $24.99 per year (plus the free tier) but even the cheapest SmugMug plan is $48/year, with others at $72/year, $180, or $360/year, and no free options. Perhaps this is why SmugMug is the one buying Flickr and not vice versa?"

That's probably also why everyone has heard of Flickr while far fewer have heard of SmugMug. I'd not heard of it before today.

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

@john Brown "SmugMug. I'd not heard of it before today."

Same here, I thought it was El Reg taking it's usual acidic wit and referring to Facebook as 'SmugMug' until I looked up SmugMug and found out it's real.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does this mean I no longer have to sign up for a Yahoo! account merely to look at some pretty pictures?

1. Mage Silver badge

no longer have to sign up?

Maybe you are thinking of Pinterest which is impossible without a Pinterest account. Flickr is sort of accessible without a login.

May depend on your script blocking settings.

8. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"there’s no plan [to] combine the two services or make account-holders do anything differently"

Yet.

There is always a grace period after a purchase during which the buyer pretends to not want to touch anything, to reassure the paying customers - and give themselves time to find out how everything actually works.

Then, one day, out of the blue (once they have properly mapped the existing functionality) they will suddenly have a blinding flash of a brainstorm, and changes will be announced.

Always for good, obviously.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Selling lemmings data, is what all these sewer's are about.

Personal profiles, personal profiles, get your personal profiles here, going cheap!

10. GarfieldLeChat

No changes apart from the changes of course...

So now the new terms state they can and will drop flickr pro without notice...

Bang go some of our legacy rights as early adopters then inc unlimited storage...

“Interruptions or Discontinuation of Flickr Pro Services; Changes to Flickr Pro Services and Terms of Use

Flickr reserves the right at any time, at its sole discretion and without notice, to suspend, modify, discontinue or permanently cancel the Flickr Pro Services or any portions thereof, including the Subscription Plans and any policies, features and terms applicable thereto. If the Flickr Pro Services, or any part thereof, to which you subscribe are permanently discontinued or canceled by Flickr, your Subscription will terminate, and we will have no further liability to you. You acknowledge that the Flickr Pro Services may be interrupted from time to time, with or without notice, for maintenance, upgrades, system updates or in the event of equipment failure or for any other foreseeable or non-foreseeable cause.

SMUGMUG WILL HAVE NO LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ANY INTERRUPTION, SUSPENSION, DISCONTINUANCE OR UNAVAILABILITY OF THE FLICKR PRO SERVICES FOR ANY REASON, OR FOR ANY LOSS OR INABILITY TO ACCESS ANY MEDIA OR MATERIALS ON THE SERVICES.

1. MacroRodent
      WTF?

Re: No changes apart from the changes of course...

Uh, that does not make any sense. Why discontinue the only part of Flickr that produces some income?

(I glanced at the terms, having a little-used account there, but missed that weird bit.)

1. Hugh McIntyre

Re: No changes apart from the changes of course...

Re: "Uh, that does not make any sense. Why discontinue the only part of Flickr that produces some income?"

Probably not right now, especially for anyone who has both a Flickr Pro and SmugMug account who they will be happy to continue to bill for both.

As mentioned though, even the cheapest SmugMug plan is $48/year compared to $25/year for Flickr Pro. Do not be surprised if they try to migrate the Flickr Pro subscribers to the higher SmugMug price.

11. Florida1920
    Alert

Yahoo! dismemberment!

I move we amputate the exclamation point.

12. Camilla Smythe

Nothing will change?

Anytime I end up on the associated estate I now get a blank screen until I temporarily allow things via No-Script and then Oath asks me what I want to do about their ShitVertising partners. Last I checked they are all switched off by default so 'kool'.

Goes off to Yahoo Images to view catalogue pictures of hunky blokes with six packs in Y-Fronts....

Every fucking time I go back I have to go through that shit again. I do not have 4TB of storage for all of your and your ShitVertising partners fucking cookies so I will just Bookmark the relevant sections of Marks & Spencers and Debenhams.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like