back to article Oracle whips out the swatter, squishes 254 security bugs in its gear

Oracle this week emitted its April security update, addressing a total of 254 security vulnerabilities across dozens of products. Among the more noteworthy patches is a fix for lingering Spectre-related vulnerabilities in Solaris systems – specifically, CVE-2017-5753, also known as Spectre variant 1. Oracle had mitigated most …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wait wut

People still use Java?

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: wait wut

Unfortunately yes. Used heavily by enterprises along with other bloatish languages.

1. GnuTzu

Yes, and those of us who get stuck with it suffer.

2. Martin Summers Silver badge

Yes it is used for the Micros Simphony till suite and Opera Hotel/Property management software for a start off. Lots of businesses use those. Now they've found another way of screwing you out of licence costs by charging business for the software needed to run it too!

2. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

You walk past a giant haystack...

..glance down and see 254 needles.

Can you estimate how many needles are in the giant haystack?

3. Tom 7

Two can play at that game

254? That's ten less than java apps we've ditched completely cos of Oracle,

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Two can play at that game

java apps we've ditched completely cos of Oracle,

See, who said that Oracle was all bad? Silver lining, etc.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The "best" part is Java 1.8 is the last 32-bit version...

Yes, we have a critical business application that only works with 32-bit Java. Java 9 is 64-bit only. Thankfully no real hacker uses Java exploits anymore because so few people have it installed...

5. Aodhhan

Oracle...

Among the worst vendors from a security standpoint.

Oracle manages to ensure their customers pay them to increase the number of vulnerabilities on their own network.

6. vistisen

Yes they do:

https://stackify.com/popular-programming-languages-2018/

Actually more people use it then any other single language. Why the hate?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Commentards don't live in the real world

Somedays reading through comments is so tedious (and not even funny).

7. iced.lemonade

some thoughts in java

sometimes i think... oracle needs to maintain a team of engineers for java so they should have the right to charge for it, and i don't think java, as a client technology, is popular by any metrics (other than android) so most of it is used within the server room, generating revenue, so i feel it is fair for oracle to charge for the business use of java (the java users are paying for the stack of middleware anyway... if ibm can charge for websphere, oracle should be able to charge for the runtime too).

and, as a developer using java for 15+ years, it may be a kind of... inertia that it seems not much new static-typed languages matches the consistency of language syntax and availability of good code-suggestion facilities in IDEs of java...

but i do think that for any free oracle technologies in use, it is rational to think that sooner or later oracle will charge for it and any non-free ones, expect to be charged increase significantly over its lifetime.

i do remember fondly the developer-friendly sun micro which created the whole java thing. i was a fan of their techs (solaris, sparc, java...) but oracle keep squeezing the last juice out of them and many of them are effectively eol'ed already. and a business as big as oracle have the revenue to make java free, if not just for a bit of positive publicity. maybe it is just the rule of business.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like