back to article Build a serverless framework at home: Go on, bit of open sourcey hijinx won't hurt

Seduced by serverless functions? Lured by Amazon's Lambda? If so, why not build a serverless framework at home? Project riff, an open source serverless platform from EMC/VMware spinoff Pivotal Software, aims to let you do just that. First unveiled at SpringOne Platform in December, riff is still an early project. It emerged …

1. TonyJ
    Trollface

Serverless platform

What do I install it on?

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Re: Serverless platform

Turtle-OS

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Serverless platform - What do I install it on?

Not, presumably, a robot waiter.

3. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Serverless platform

What do I install it on?

A Virtual Machine, of course...

2. shaunmsmith

IronFunctions --> Fn

The original IronFunctions team forked it and has continued to evolve it as "Fn", which was announced at JavaOne in 2017. Check out Chad Arimura's (former Iron.io CEO) article "8 Reasons why we built the Fn Project" https://medium.com/fnproject/8-reasons-why-we-built-the-fn-project-bcfe45c5ae63

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

sales speak

serverless is not a thing... unless we are running code in the ether now... serverless means outside of the virtualised cloud environment.... so we're talking about hypervisor run code now? could be wrong on the definition but save the concept of "serverless" code for the religious types, this is an IT publication, the code must run SOMEWHERE for fuck's sake!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reminds me of 1995 all over again

Let's see, a request comes in from the network, and you spin up a process to handle it, do its thing and then die. You hope the process is lightweight enough to not consume your CPU with context switches.

Smells awfully like CGI invoking Perl circa 1995 :)

What next, mod_docker?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Serverless = sales speak, not a thing

The meaning is *not* that there is no server, it is that once the infrastructure is in place then *for the developers* there is no need for a server. You can deploy things without caring where.

Personally I'm not a fan, but there you go.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like