back to article Guess who's still most moaned about UK ISP... Rhymes with BorkBork

Despite efforts to return to its roots as a broadband-only biz, TalkTalk remains the most moaned about ISP in the UK, according to data from regulator Ofcom. TalkTalk scored highest out of the top seven providers, with 31 complaints per 100,000 customers – a slight increase on last quarter. The main reasons for customer …

1. Oh Homer
    Meh

"31 complaints per 100,000 customers"

TBH that's spectacularly low for any type of business.

Of course, that doesn't include those who only complained directly to TalkTalk, not to Ofcom. It also doesn't include those who aren't happy but couldn't be bothered complaining.

Never had any experience of TalkTalk, but I do use another cheap-as-chips ISP, because in my neck of the woods it'd be pointless paying more for a service that can't possibly exceed 6MB/s (on a good day), unless OpenReach ever upgrades my local exchange, assuming they even know where it is.

1. Aqua Marina

Re: "31 complaints per 100,000 customers"

Came on to say the same thing. I wish my business had 100000 regular customers with only 31 complaints, heck, I'd settle for 10000.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I beg to differ. 31 comlaints per 100000 to the regulator in any industry is astronomical. It is pretty much in the territory where the an insurance or financial regulator would raid offices and start handing out bans to exec.

It is just the Alice in Wonderland of Broadband where this considered normal.

1. Korev Silver badge

A very good point. I imagine there are a lot of people who think that their experience is "normal" and never bother to complain. Not to mention the people who don't have the time/inclination to escalate their complaint to the regulator...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>I beg to differ. 31 complaints per 100000 to the regulator in any industry is astronomical.

I beg to differ again, that's just a rounding error compared to the rail industry.

3. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Meh

6 MegaBytes per second is a great speed - it's almost 3 times the 17Mbps I get!

1. Oh Homer
        Headmaster

Re: "6 MegaBytes per second"

Yes, I meant 6Mb/s.

That's the sync speed. The actual speed is more like 4.75Mb/s at best, and typically more in the 2 - 2.5Mb/s range on most days. Periods of sub 1Mb/s are not uncommon. For about two weeks last Christmas I was getting speeds similar to what I used to get in the 1990s with my 33.6K US Robotics POTS modem.

My exchange has no fibre and no LLU, and I'm on an EO line, so I'm basically stuck with those speeds no matter which BT wholesale reseller I go with. I'd happily pay for A&A if that was an option, but it isn't.

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
          Facepalm

Re: "6 MegaBytes per second"

If the actual speed you're getting is significantly lower than (88% of) your sync speed, that's exactly when it's the ISPs fault and not BT/Wholesale/Openreach's.

(the 88% is because of ATM overheads)

4. Nick Kew

I'd take a reliable 6Mb/s over a notionally-superfast-but-dysfunctional service any day.

I'd even take an unreliable 6Mb/s over Virgin cable, provided only I could contact the provider and get things fixed when it goes wrong. As in the difference between this story of BT (copper) failure vs this story or this story of Virgin failure.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'd even take an unreliable 6Mb/s over Virgin cable, provided only I could contact the provider and get things fixed when it goes wrong

I can understand that - Virgin Media customer service and tech support is the worst of any company I've ever encountered, and I must express considerable surprise that the complaints to Ofcom are so low.

When it works, VM cable is rather good (thought I'm not convinced any number of users on 200 Mbps or faster are actually using their connection very intensively). When it goes wrong, you find out what a shambolic, customer-hating mess Virgin Media's management are. UK staff are usually quite good, but VM's mission is to offshore everything.

2. wolfetone Silver badge

Don't TalkTalk make a big thing of them being voted the best ISP in some adverts they're running at the moment?

1. m0rt

I noted the same thing.

I'm sticking with Zen. Not cheap but the odd time I do need to call them, it is a fine experience.

1. ISYS

Zen

Yep been with Zen for years during which time I have watched with amusement as the other Internet 'Service' Providers have battled each other to provide a worse service.

1. Dr Who

Re: Zen

HashMeToo as they say these days. It's not just about speed, it's worth paying a bit extra to Zen for the service you get when it goes wrong (even when the bit that's gone wrong is a copper connection a few hundred metres up the road).

2. djstardust

Re: Zen

BT - £31.50 per month

Zen - £46.99 per month plus £55 activation fee.

As much as I loathe BT it's reliable and far cheaper than Zen.

2. Deej

Another Zen customer here

Another Zen customer here - they seem to be consistently brilliant :)

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>I'm sticking with Zen. Not cheap

Not cheap, you're not kidding, BT business is cheaper and you get BT sport (whoopee do) and SIM discounts. For that price I'd expect a butler to hand deliver my bills.

I place Zen in a Jobsian reality distortion field.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

My butler does hand me my mail thank you (after opening it you see)

1. Lee D Silver badge

Er... what's happening with broadband prices lately? The lowest is ~£20 a month and Zen is:

Unlimited Broadband (12 Month Contract)

Up to 17Mbps Download Speed

Up to 1Mbps Upload Speed

For the first 12 months £28.00/mth

Then £32.99 per month

Sorry, but that's quite high for the cost of their most basic bog-standard, at-the-end-of-the-day BT-provided line. And their fibre offerings are more expensive still (£46.99 per month? That's almost SkyTV territory, and certainly on a par with A&A ISP, who have a vastly better service and reputation all round).

1. Adam JC

The Zen Fibre 2 (Up to 80Mbps) is £42.99+VAT/month - It's cheaper than BT and that *includes* line rental. BT Business Line rental is £18.99+VAT at the moment so £25.00+VAT for (Truly) unlimited fibre and £17+VAT for line rental is hardly 'astronomical'. Also coupled with the fact that BT stiff you £5+VAT a month on top for a single static IP and Zen offer one for free... (And a proper router capable of handling more than 3 smartphones and a single PC, like a FritzBox or a Draytek, not a ShiteHub6!).

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

single static IP and Zen offer one for free

And were cheaper than IDNet for my (initally 8, now 16) block of addresses too.

I like Zen. Even if the IPv6 advice they gave me didn't work - I suspect that wasn't the fault of the advice, more the carbon-based lifeform trying to implement it. And, to be fair, my home setup is a *tad* non-standard..)

2. Adam JC

Actually, Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 is £42.00+VAT/month if you take line rental + unlimited FTTC with a static IP. (BT charge £5.00+VAT *Extra* for a static IP on their business fibre service - Quite how in this day and age a static IP in business isn't standard is a mystery) so Zen are now cheaper than BT Business fibre and have been for a fair while... which makes selling it much easier as it's a bonus :-)

As a matter of fact, having just checked BT's site - 76Mbps/19Mbps fibre unlimited is £27.00+VAT/month & £15.90+VAT/month line rental £5+VAT/month for a single static IP = £47.90+VAT/month - In comparison Zen is a flat £42.00+VAT - I should know, I've migrated three customer sin the past 48 hours from BT and it wasn't that long ago that BT were infact cheaper...

migrated three customer sin

So what address do Lust, Gluttony and Pride live at?[1] And where to the other 4 sins get their broadband?

[1] What is the address of Parliament anyway? "The Big Old Victorian Building that's falling apart, by the Thames, Central London" probably won't get the post delivered..

4. My-Handle

I have to say, my basic Zen package is pretty much the same price as what BT were charging me (after several poorly-communicated price hikes). Speed is limited to about 2mbps where I am, so anything above a basic package is pointless for me. However, where BT regularly throttled the connection to 500kbps and point-blank dropped it about every half an hour, Zen only lost connection twice since I switched. And both of those were power cuts.

I'll stick with Zen, as others here have attested. Mere mention of the letters BT sends me into an incoherent ranting frenzy these days...

Mere mention of the letters BT

I had a fairly good relationship with my local BT engineer in the days when my line would fail repeatedly once the line box in the road filled with water..

Which only got fixed once I moved to an ISP that actually paid BT to fix the core issue.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>Which only got fixed once I moved to an ISP that actually paid BT to fix the core issue.

Your ISP paid Openreach to fix their network? I think it is actually the other way round, BT/Openreach weren't providing a service and so under the Ofcom regulated SLA would be making payments (real bank transfers of monies) to the ISP...

5. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Not cheap but the odd time I do need to call them, it is a fine experience

Indeed. Even when it was the call to say "I notice that on your website the price for my service has dropped, how about you apply that to my line?".

To which the answer was "sure.. <clickety-click> All done now.". No upselling, no passing off to someone else and no waffling.

I'm still waiting for my exchange to be FTTP-enabled though. My 70/20 FTTP line seems *so* restricting these days :-)

(Runs for cover from the incoming curses/hardware)

2. Zippy's Sausage Factory
      Devil

Don't TalkTalk make a big thing of them being voted the best ISP in some adverts they're running at the moment?

Was that the "Talk Talk award for best broadband ISP with an alliterative name that rhymes with 'dork'" I wonder?

3. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

If they don't specify who voted, you can safely assume that they were voted the best ISP by their own board of directors.

4. Andytug

Yep, all over the radio.

Voted best by uSwitch apparently, which is just a "pick the cheapest" website.....

Re: Yep, all over the radio.

uSwitch apparently, which is just a "pick the cheapest" website.

And almost certainly gets dosh from suppliers that it recommends. So dorkdork probably paid them the best..

5. WraithCadmus
      Thumb Up

Zen too, no complaints, you pay for exactly one unit of internet and get exactly one unit of internet, I admire the simplicity. Also not hard to get a tech who can give you straight answers, I was shopping for a new router and asked what protocol it needed to support (telecoms is not my forté), they just gave that right out and I was on my merry way. It's possible there's cheaper, but I've never had any bother.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you note BT and Plusnet are not very far behind at 27 per 100,000. It would be interesting to note the actual breakdown of these complaints as I bet they are largely due to the unreliability of FTTC and it's susceptibility to poor copper wiring. However what a company does when something goes wrong is the best judge and to be fair on talktalk they are at the mercy of BT (Openreach) to repair those line faults who have a less than stellar record.

I bet talktalk's FTTP network in York has a very good reliability by comparison, it would be interesting to see the figures.

One thing that is unforgivable though are call centres where I can't understand a damn word they are saying and they can't understand me, I feel sorry for those with strong British regional accents trying to make themselves understood and banging your head against a wall must be more rewarding.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

However what a company does when something goes wrong is the best judge and to be fair on talktalk they are at the mercy of BT (Openreach) to repair those line faults who have a less than stellar record.

IIRC, when I was unfortunate enough to be with TT, they made a great deal of noise about taking over ownership of the infrastructure from BT. The service quality went down, not up.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

IIRC, when I was unfortunate enough to be with TT, they made a great deal of noise about taking over ownership of the infrastructure from BT. The service quality went down, not up.

Even with LLU, BT still own the line to your house from either the FTTC cabinet or the exchange for ADSL and the provider rents it from BT and BT are still the maintenance providers. Even with ADSL the line still has to go through BT's MDF before it reaches the ISP's MSAN.

2. Wensleydale Cheese
      Unhappy

The phrase you are looking for

"One thing that is unforgivable though are call centres where I can't understand a damn word they are saying and they can't understand me,"

is "Management has complete contempt for the customer".

Until that attitude changes, nothing will.

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

strong British regional accents trying to make themselves understood

You mean, like the Geordies that staff the Sky customer services? Worth ringing up for the accent alone!

(I like regional accents. Apart from the Brummie accent which, bizarrely, is where I was born.. Oh, and the Esturine (Essex et. al.) accents. But my favourites are Geordie and (internationally) South-West Ireland..)

4. Zippy's Sausage Factory
    Unhappy

I miss Demon Internet

That is all.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: I miss Demon Internet

You mean before they were bought our and ruined?

Like practically every other decent small ISP?

2. oldcrab

Try AAISP

1. Ol' Grumpy

"Try AAISP"

I'd love to because I understand they have great service but I can't come to terms with their usage limits in this and age of streaming media. I'd be paying silly money for top-ups.

1. ro55mo

I am on A&As 1TB plan. Never get close to it and the wife watches quite a lot of streamed media. What you don't use is added to next month's usage.

3. smudge
      Pint

My website is still there - years after I left them.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I miss Be, until they were bought by O2, then sold to Sky.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I miss Be, until they were bought by O2, then sold to Sky."

same here... still with sky as sort of not the worst of a terrible bunch..

I went to Be from a little ISP called ADSL24 who had the best customer services ever... I am still friends with a few people I got to know from the user forums. I even moved over to BE on the advice of the top guy in tech support when BT changed the way Broadband was delivered...

5. Clockworkseer

Vodafone

Vodafone never really got fully over that billing fiasco. It doesn;t help that one of their most recent "innovations" is one of those fully voice-driven IVR systems where it asks you to say what you want to talk about.

To be fair, it did seem really apologetic when I called it an idiot machine because it didn;t understand what I was going on about.

The problem is, rather than me being able to run through the menu and find what I want (or not) it makes its best guess as to what it thinks I want. Which doesn't help where the thing you need to deal with is complicated enough that it isn't neatly pigeonholed into what it's been told to expect.

It's also made it exponentially harder to talk to an actual human being. the only way I could find to actually get through to anyone human was to tell it I wanted to complain, which puts you throught to a human fairly quickly.

all the bad points of an IVR combined with all the bad points of a speech recognition system.

1. Herring`

Re: Vodafone

I was so glad to finally say goodbye to Vodafone.

What on earth possesses companies to think that these voice recognition systems are a good idea? They take far longer to navigate than a traditional "To speak to someone who can't help you with billing, press 1" system.

Often if you keep mashing the "*" key, the system will give up and put you through to a person (who can't help either)

2. Roland6 Silver badge

>It's also made it exponentially harder to talk to an actual human being.

You have it easy :)

Try contacting customer services (of practically any "customer focused" business: telco, utility etc.) either as a deaf (from birth) person or as the legal representative of a deaf person...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>Vodafone never really got fully over that billing fiasco

Much like Virgin Media Business. Who carried on billing us for lines long since ceased and disconnected. Their arguement was "well, you didn't tell us to stop the billing!".

One letter from our legal team later, their attitude changed remarkably. Who knew that the words "We'll see you in court" followed by a lot of legal caselaw would be so effective?

We got a full refund.

6. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge
    Trollface

"We always strive to provide the best possible experience and are disappointed by these results,"

Newspeak for "we will actually make the customer experience worse than it is now"...

7. The Dogs Meevonks Silver badge

I have never used TalkTalk and I never will, simply because of the stories I read about them on here and because of the leak they had a couple of years ago that they tried to cover up.

However... there are others just as bad. I've just got out of my Virgin media contract a little early because of 'utilisation' issues... Which basically means their network isn't capable of supporting the number of customers they have. This was proven over the course of several months by taking daily screenshots of various speed tests, that showed an average of 20Mbps on a 100Mbps line. Speeds would drop as low as 68Kbps but never higher than 30Mbps.

So I switched to Vodafone in March... and have already terminated my service because they couldn't even transfer my number. Confirmed with Virgin that they've never even requested it.

Virgins customer dept are pretty useless dealing with things, and you have to escalate a complaint and threaten to take it to the regulator before they respond.

Vodafone simply ignore ALL complaints, and you have to email the ceo nick.jeffery@ before they pay attention.

I am currently in limbo... there's a phone line with a temp number blocking the line... I'm still paying Virgin for a phone line and I can't get a new broadband provider installed until Vodaphone terminate the line... Because any new provider will try to take over the temp number and not my actual number.

The moral of this story... all 3 of these providers (TalkTalk, Virgin & Vodafone) are a bunch of lying, deceptive, unfit for purpose feckwits... and No one should ever use them at all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah Virgin is patchy as hell. I'm on Virgin and I've had very few issues and I get the advertised speed. However my parents 10 miles away got shocking service.

I'm in a heavily subscribed area as well.

I will point out though that I have my router set to modem mode and have a Linksys router behind it. Their routers are absolute shit for anything other than acting as a modem.

2. Dalwood-Del

VoIP is you friend

I got fed-up ‘protecting’ my phone number and transferred my number out to a VoIP provider. Some were a bit more restrictive than others if the line was from Sky as they didn't have a relationship with Sky (or so I understand) so I went for a pay monthly one (voipfone) at the beginning. Something like £25 to transfer number and £2.40 per month and you pay for calls on top. I also use a free one as a test and both seem good.

House phone was the siemens gigaset so all I had to buy from eBay was a n300a VoIP add-on box and so my phones work as before, just connected to my network rather than my phone line.

Now I can shift my isp and they can issue any phone number they want (if they still need to) or better still when it’s available, no line rental, as I won’t ever be using it again.

Cheers

8. David Nash Silver badge

PlusNet

On the infrequent occasions that I've had to call them, they've always been helpful and friendly.

Are they not mostly at the mercy of OpenReach anyway?

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: PlusNet

Have to say the same. I've been with Plusnet in three different houses over the past six or seven years, and never had a significant problem that wasn't down to crappy copper - which isn't Plusnet's fault. The helldesk staff are always helpful and knowledgeable, and don't seem to want to get me off the line as soon as possible to meet their targets.

9. David Lawton

Zen here too, i am willing to pay extra to have a knowledgable and technical person at the other end of the phone when i do have an issue, not a script monkey! I did leave Zen once when things were tight moneywise, but the tech support at Virgin made me run a mile. Router's WiFi status lights are off, power cycling wont make them come back on and i cannot see any SSID's being broadcast. Tech support say open web browser and type http://192.168.1.1 , i tell them I am not connected to any networks this will not work, support agent just try anyway it might work, me scream with rage and run back to Zen.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

I'm on TalkTalk...

£23.31/month for between 768 kbps to 1024 kbps down. You can't beat that quality.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

t I t S u P

It just came to me

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

not doing us proud then? maybe they'll change their slogan

13. Blockchain commentard

"We continue to roll out service improvements, including new online tools to help customers resolve issues more quickly and conveniently."

How to I contact them online when my line is down? Not quick. Not convenient.

14. Roland6 Silver badge

Last year TalkTalk announced it was ditching its mobile service to concentrate on its core broadband business

I assume that circa 913K mobile subscribers [TalkTalk 2017 Annual Report] aren't profitable. I wonder how many will take the up-to 25% off O2 tariffs offer.

15. GBE

Talk rhymes with Bork?

Eh?

In what English dialect does "talk" rhyme with "bork"?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Talk rhymes with Bork?

Try beer. It does sound similar. If not, try more beer, it will sound similar. Keep trying!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In what English dialect does "talk" rhyme with "bork"?

er, mine?

3. Corin
      Joke

Surely it's more a dialect of Swedish?

1. jake Silver badge

And "York"? Does that also rhyme with "talk"? Alas, poor Jorvik, I thought I knew it well ... a city of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

(Note to my fellow Yanks: The Brit's version of the English Language changes depending on time, date, weather and where on their tiny little island the speaker hails from. The "rules" are rather like Fizzbin, in that there are no rules other than "The British Way is Best". It's easier to just nod tiredly and move on when they attempt to "correct" other groups of people who also use English to communicate.)

1. TheProf
          Happy

"It's easier to just nod tiredly and move on when they attempt to "correct" other groups of people who also use English to communicate."

Ah. You've failed to notice the British laughing into their warm beer when you dear Americans try to pronounce the word 'Edinburgh'. That's marvellous.

Tinkity Tonk!

1. The Dogs Meevonks Silver badge

I love giving my 'Merkin' friends some lessons in English pronunciation.

Worcestershire is pronounced Wo-sest-eer-shy-ree

Leciester or Leiscetershire is Lay-Sest-eer & Lay-sest-eer-shy-ree

Sadly some of them caught on... so I started slipping in more innocuous ones instead. Can't wait for one of them to visit this summer... Gonna be fun. :)

Oh and I've convinced at least some of them that we call their version of 'football' kiddie rugby or hand egg. :)

1. jake Silver badge

I believe Mr. The Dogs Meevonks' testimony largely proves my point.

(Note to my serial downvoter: I hope your little tantrum provided at least some catharsis. It must be hell, living with that 'orrible level of insecurity about your written and spoken language. Might want to lighten up and learn to laugh at yourself, you'll probably live longer.)

1. jake Silver badge

Fascinating. I wonder how many minutes of its life my serial downvoter/boo-bird/fanboi wasted downvoting 150 (or so) of my comments. Did it find satisfaction? Does it silently mouth "take that!" with each button push? Was drool or spittle involved? Does it invent a scenario where I am appalled (sad, irritated, upset, whatever) when I notice? Is it capable of understanding that its little tantrum demonstrates why, exactly, downvoting has absolutely zero meaning whatsoever, thus completely negating its effort?

Poor thing. There, there. Mummy probably loves you anyway. ::hugs::

2. jake Silver badge

Excuse me? Us Yanks know perfectly well that the Scots can't spell "borough" ... when we pissmronounce it, we're just taking the mick.

1. gsf333

Its not 'borough'. The 'burgh' element is pronounced in the same way as 'brough' is.

This seems to be a common issue around where I live as there are plenty of towns that end in both 'brough' and 'borough'. Although they all come from the same word meaning, the pronunciation is different.

2. jake Silver badge

Yes. English is just a dialect of Swedish. If you squint. No need for a joke icon.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Swedish as in Swedish chef, bork-bork.

1. jake Silver badge

Muppet.

16. John Savard

Huh?

Talk doesn't rhyme with Bork. At least not where I come from.

1. gsf333

Re: Huh?

Here in South Yorkshire 'talk' is said like the word 'torque' / 't-OR-c, thus does rhyme (sort of) with 'bork'

1. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

As in "Hoi sveethot, ve gun tok. Ist gut."*

*Thanks to the Jägerkin in Girl Genius

2. Intractable Potsherd

"Talk doesn't rhyme with Bork. At least not where I come from."

It does where I'm from (also South Yorkshire), and where I live now (Fife). I can't think of any dialect where it doesn't, so what does "talk" rhyme with where you are from?

1. jake Silver badge

Walk.

17. funnoy

No moaning at all !!

I've been with them in east london for 10 years, measured the speed, which has been great for years, even without fibre. Checked the security, which also has been great. I have no problem with talktalk at all !

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No moaning at all !!

I can feel the stirring, as if of a Great Beasts.

And it will come to pass that thou shalt forever rue the day thou uttered those words

Yea until the very end of time.

Behold the great WankWank riseth up

18. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Pretty sure BT doesn't rhyme with BorkBork.

19. beachmunkey

TalkTalk themselves need to shop around

I bet the complaints would be cut in half if they just ditched those awful entry-level Huawei routers for something even a little better. Fast, cheap broadband is pointless if you ship routers that drop connections/crash any time there's an increase in traffic

20. elenmirie

Get a real ISP

IDNet rocks. I had a problem recently and they not only got a BT engineer out in a day (as it was a physical problem), they also told him how to do his job when he was just going to walk away and blame my equipment instead of finding and fixing the problem. Try getting anything close to that out of TorkTork.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like