back to article Tried checking under the sofa? Indian BTC exchange Coinsecure finds itself $3.5m lighter

Indian Bitcoin exchange Coinsecure has mislaid 438.318 BTC belonging to its customers. In a statement by parent firm Secure Bitcoin Traders Pvt, posted late on Thursday, the biz said its chief security officer had extracted a bunch of Bitcoin to distribute to punters – and discovered the funds were "lost in the process." The …

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

Who's been using one of those funny CPUs?

> The statement, which appeared on 12 April, appears to confirm that the firm already knew that the Bitcoin, worth £2,477,167,809.57 at the time of publication, had departed its servers on 9 April.

So when did 1 BTC become worth over five and a half a mil? (£££s)

Even if the currency was Rupees rather than UKP it still doesn't compute. Has someone got their millions and billions all mixed up?

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      WTF?

Re: Who's been using one of those funny CPUs?

Agreed. As of right now, 1 Bitcoin is worth US$8090.00 at Coinbase.

So 438 Bitcoin is worth

438 x US$8090.00 = US$3,551,510.00

That's $3.5 meeeellion not $3.5 beeeellion.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The letter says "INR 19 Crores", i.e. 190 million rupees, which is about $2.9m dollars; with BTC at about $7700 yesterday that would be about 378 BTC. So I think it is indeed 438 BTC + change, i.e. they're not using the dot as a thousands separator, as happens in some countries.

While the pound has seen significant deflation, I don't think it's yet quite at the level implied by El Reg.

3. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Yup – we cocked up in the rush to the pub on a Friday. Funny story: if you plug "438.318 BTC in USD" into Google, it treats that as 438,318 BTC, hence the massive number in the story.

It was caught and fixed up as soon as it was spotted. If you see anything wrong, please let us know by email straight away so it can be address: drop a note to corrections@theregister.com. Ta.

C.

1. David 132 Silver badge
        Pint

@diodesign

Yes, I see something very wrong, but I'm not going to send an email because, instead, public chastisement is called for. By your own admission you're in the pub, yet you're still responding to commentards. It is an insult to good beer to neglect it while you fiddle with your phone/laptop. If my wife were there she'd smack your hands and confiscate your phone. Now get on with that pint.

2. robidy

I see the parent company is still called Secure Trading...can you ask them to confirm when the change of name to INSecure Trading will be complete...to reflect the true nature of the company?

3. GrapeBunch

So Pub = House of Corrections.

Correct Responsibly!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wow that people would deposit bitcoin in a company located in a third world country where corruption is endemic.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Distributed?

Thought one of the touted advantages of bitcoin was some distributed malarky??

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Distributed?

Thought one of the touted advantages of bitcoin was some distributed malarky??

Yes: you have a wide choice of exchanges to get your Bitcoin stolen from.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its in the name, but I think they put a c instead of an s. SoInsecure.

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Oh, bravo, sir/madam. That made me chuckle.

2. GrapeBunch

That's even funny in Finnish.

4. Stoneshop
    Big Brother

Down the back of the sofa

Well, maybe that Italian/LG IoT sofa could report those BTC having fallen down the back of it, while at the same time leaking them to Dabbsy's bog. I'm not sure if either of these two possibilities is a positive one.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do the needful

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like