back to article Mad March Meltdown! Microsoft's patch for a patch for a patch may need another patch

Days after Microsoft released its third attempt at a fix for the Meltdown security vulnerability in Intel's modern processors, system administrators say many of their 64-bit Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 boxes are still unable to be properly patched. Pseudo-anonymous Reg reader Lawrence Birdman, who administers around 120 …

1. J. R. Hartley

Useless bastards

Time to turn the computer off for a while til they sort this out.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Useless bastards

I agree, mines already switched off.

1. IceC0ld

I agree, mines already switched off.

I agree too, that's why I'm not able to type this..............................

2. eldakka

> Time to turn the computer off for a while til they sort this out.

Or just disable updates until they've sorted it all out.

1. onefang

My Windows computer is switched off. Oh wait, my computer that has a Windows partition is switched on, but hasn't booted into Windows for months. The Windows partition is firewalled off from the Internet anyway.

2. Ramis101
        Stop

I turned off Wupdates yonks ago. They break more than they fix.

Don't use IE,

Do use No-script, addblock and a 3rd party firewall

and all will be well

3. sabroni Silver badge

Useless indeed! Who the fuck is still running fleets of win 2000 servers? Ms should just say it's out of support and stop worrying about it.

2. JakeMS

For crying out loud...

... Microsoft!

Get your (your word here) together and release working updates!

Come on already, pull your finger out and invest in a QA Team and stop relying on the poor customers who get broken updates to report them.

It is not like Microsoft has not got enough money for a QA Team!

Most update issues Microsoft has had lately could have been prevented with a bit of internal testing or quality checks.

Fix it.

1. Swiss Anton

Re: For crying out loud...

I believe that they have given up on finding a QA team and are now looking for unicorns. There's a rumour that some of Facebook's unicorns are looking to jump ship.

2. Vector

"Get your (your word here) together and release working updates!"

This is why I'm staying away from Win10 at the moment. M$ insistence that they control the patch cycle flies in the face of years of personal experience with Windows patches (I spent many years in a lab testing each month's raft of patches to make sure they didn't hose company systems). I had heard about using group policy to take control of patches back, but now I hear they've borked that too so I'll continue to hold off on that laptop upgrade until they have the major catastrophe that forces them to rethink their current strategy.

3. veti Silver badge

They're trying to fix a hardware vulnerability using software. That's - basically impossible, I would have said.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

billg invested in a QA team and it was good. Balmer kept it. Then Satnad came along and decided it wasn't agile enough and axed it.

So with that and Windows 7 and Sever 2008 patches being given to the Z team, you have your answer as to why every month is a fuck up.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

To make matters worse, in addition to axing the QA team, SatNad insists that the 'always-on' Windows updates are a great thing, will help 'keep your machine secure'.

1. Tikimon
          Facepalm

SatNad insists that the 'always-on' Windows updates are a great thing, will help 'keep your machine under Microsoft’s control'.

There, fixed that. Face it folks, M$ does't like us annoying geeks refusing onerous "upgrades", blocking OS-native spyware and malware, turning off the tracking and spying... They HATE that. Welcome to the new "We Are In Control Not You Stupid Peon" Windows.

5. HmmmYes

I think the exact words should be 'Get some software resources back from Amazon and Google and what bot'

I think MS have a bit of a lack of heads at the mo.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Holmes

Re: Windows giant can't be bothered explaining

Par for the couse then. Will this hole be a bogey or a birdie? I vote for a bogey.

4. Captain Badmouth
    Holmes

I'm getting

too old for this shit.

I'll have some of what he's smoking........------------>

5. Mark 85

Only Win7 and Server 2008 they say....

This smells like a push to get us all over to Win10, etc. No forthcoming answers, just the same crap we saw during the big push last year for Win10.

If it is, I hope it backfires and all the frustrated users/admins start pushing for Linux.

6. Queeg

So as far as Redmond is concerned

It's no longer the blind leading the blind,

it's the uninterested leading the inept.

same ole same ole

by the way el Registerino's, still waiting for that sarcasm icon

1. PeterM42
      Facepalm

Re: So as far as Redmond is concerned

If at first you don't succeed - you're Microsoft

7. a_yank_lurker

Askwoody

The aggravation is very severe with many noting they are looking seriously at Linux or Macs because of the ongoing monthly update follies with Slurp. And these are primarily Bloat users.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: follies with Slurp. And these are primarily Bloat users.

And for those of us old enough to have finished school? What the fuck are you on about?

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Askwoody

Mac is far worse.

"Updating in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, REBOOT! Don't care if you were working, this machine belongs to Apple for the next 45 minutes"

Linux is the only OS that seems to have got it right.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

There's a notify option, I choose 'remind me tomorrow', and it reminds me tomorrow. What are you doing wrong?

1. DropBear

You mean compared to the list of updates I just applied on Debian which at some point modestly noted: "A reboot is required to replace the running dbus-daemon. Please reboot the system when convenient."...?

3. Primus Secundus Tertius

I have met two people in volunteer groups who have switched to Mac. Ordinary people, not computer freaks, who say they are so happy to lose all the constant updates from Microsoft.

Whether they are really in a better position is another question, of course.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Carl D

I've said it before... easy solution to MS's incompetence (or another deliberate attempt to sabotage W7) is to dual boot Windows 7 and Linux (Mint 18.3 in my case).

Windows 7 is patched up to December 2017 (with Simplix Pack) and kept offline.

All online activities are done with Linux Mint.

No Meltdown/Spectre BS or MS incompetence (or sabotage) to worry about when I'm using Windows 7. If I need to go online while using W7 I have my trusty 12 year old HP laptop - also running Mint - or I just use my tablet or smartphone.

1. Tim99 Silver badge
      Windows

@Carl D

I am retired now and only use Windows in a VM - On an iMac in my case. I very occasionally run Windows 10 (the unlicenced version that nags you to get a licence); Windows XP (offline) about every 2 weeks; and less frequently Windows 2000, and FreeDOS.

Disclaimer: I spent a long time writing software, often with Microsoft stuff, but started to cut down the MS habit when Vista came out, and suspect that I will never give MS any more money, ever again...

10. Kremen

YMMV

KB4100480 seems reluctant to become 'applicable' unless KB4091290 is installed first.

I don't know why, but KB4091290 has be manually added to WSUS from Microsoft Update Catalog.

1. labirdman

Re: YMMV

You nailed it, man, thanks! I installed 4091290, and 4100480 was offered to me by WSUS shortly thereafter.

How'd you figure this out?

11. SVV

Speaking of bug fixes gone wrong....

There was an old lady who swallowed a cow;

I don't know how she swallowed a cow!

She swallowed the cow to catch the goat,

She swallowed the goat to catch the dog,

She swallowed the dog to catch the cat,

She swallowed the cat to catch the bird,

She swallowed the bird to catch the spider;

That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her!

She swallowed the spider to catch the fly;

I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Speaking of bug fixes gone wrong....

I've missed... so much.... started at the keyboard too early... Looking forward to my first childhood.

2. HmmmYes

Re: Speaking of bug fixes gone wrong....

Oh god! I just posted that without reading all the comments!

12. tempemeaty
    Facepalm

"Death by a Thousand Patches"

Ack! No no no no no Microsoft. Never ever follow my comments as though they were suggestions. Please...STAWP...

Oh well. ¯\_(シ)_/¯

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is why class action lawsuits exist

Gross negligence and incompetence are stalwarts of Microsoft products including "updates and security". Microsoft should be forced to pay back tens of billions that they have caused in damages to all who are forced to use any version of Windoze.

14. wsm

Keep; 'em coming

My Windows machines are in constant reboot mode with all of these patches.

For real work, I have to rely on my Ubuntu LTS with Mate. It's more like a real computer than the slot machines for Microsoft updates running Windows 10.x.x.x.x.x.

1. DropBear

Re: Keep; 'em coming

Obligatory flashback to the comic strip with the (from memory) "here's a nickel son, go buy yourself a real computer..."

1. handleoclast

Re: Keep; 'em coming

Your memory is pretty good. "Kid" rather than "son."

Dilbert, 1995.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Get real

Fixing Intel's hardware flaws in software was never going to be simple, perhaps impossible.

16. Barry Rueger

Meanwhile in Penguin land...

OK, I'm just an end user, with couple of small websites, and I don't run hundreds of servers, but I have to ask why Linux seems to able to be updated without running into these kinds of problems.

In years of running various distros, and accepting any update offered, I think there might have been one problem one time.

Seriously, how come Linus and all of the downstream developers can make this work, but Microsoft seems unable?

1. HmmmYes

Re: Meanwhile in Penguin land...

Management.

Diversity officers.

CSR team.

Marketing.

Thats pretty much sums it up.

2. sabroni Silver badge

Re: how come Linus and all of the downstream developers can make this work

Is it because they're not back porting the fixes to versions of linux that are 15 years old and architected differently? Is it MS's insistence on supporting old pcs, peripherals and software where Linux doesn't (afaik)?

If you ran windows like you run Linux, installing all the updates offered, you'd be on 10 by now and not having these legacy problems.

1. onefang

Re: how come Linus and all of the downstream developers can make this work

"Is it MS's insistence on supporting old pcs, peripherals and software where Linux doesn't (afaik)?"

Linux tends to run quite well on old hardware.

17. HmmmYes

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly.

I dont know why.

I think shell die.

1. ChrisElvidge

Died of horse poisoning in the end.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Heheheheheheh /facepalm

At our place, after the last update, at least half of our W7 devices are rebooting randomly

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Heheheheheheh /facepalm

Yeah, all my windows 95 boxes are fucked too! What's wrong with MS?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SatNad, ladies and gentlemen

Head's so far up the Cloud and AI arse, he doesn't care about the basics anymore.

20. steviebuk Silver badge

That's what you get...

..when you've been outsourcing since 1996. I assume the Q&A is outsourced to the cheapest bidder who then just marks everything as "tested" when in fact they've just pulled up into the work car park, used the work WIFI and just signed everything off from the car, before slowly driving home. Much like surveyors do when you get the basic home buyers surveyor done on a house.

1. David Lewis 2
      FAIL

Re: That's what you get...

...when you've been outsourcing since 1996. I assume the Q&A is outsourced to the cheapest bidder ...

You don't know how right you are! Q&A has now been outsourced to the end-user so it costs nothing!

21. arctic_haze
    Holmes

Enough is enough, Microsoft

I'll mention for the third time that I am absolutely happy I decided in January to stop patching my Windows 7 boxes. My intuition was correct.

The second time I mentioned it under a relevant article the ratio of "likes" to "dislike" became > 1.0. I wonder if the trend will continue ;)

22. darlingimp

disabled WSUS a couple of years ago ...

... waiting for the right moment to turn it back on.

23. kain preacher

Maybe MS should stop trying to fix Intel's mistake. Intel just admitted that they can not fix it .

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like