back to article Planning on forking out for the new iPad? Better take darn good care of it

Teardown show-offs iFixit have found few changes with the latest iPad – but it does have a larger battery than the more expensive "Pro" iPad. The sixth-gen iPad is aimed at the education market and is the first non-Pro model to support the Apple Pencil. This means there's a budget digitiser incorporated in the display. iFixit …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iFixit can you give me repair grade on my HDD hard drive? What about my LCD monitor?

What a stupid article.

Some people will complain about anything.

Apple (any anyone else) thanks for improving the durability and water resistance of your products.

1. Tigra 07
      Thumb Up

RE: Boohoo

Apple: Does less, costs more

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: RE: Boohoo

And Boohoo4u has currently managed to get 9 upvotes and 135 downvotes off four comments. Is that a new record?

1. Sam Therapy

Re: RE: Boohoo

Stick around. You ain't seen nothin' yet.

2. John 104

@Boohoo4u

What a stupid reader.

Some people will complain about anything when they don't have reading comprehension skills.

Did you miss the part about not waterproof? And not durable?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What a stupid commenter. I’ve actually owned IPads from the very first edition.

IPads are very very durable. I’ve exposed them to everything imaginable, and they’ve held up very well.

I’ve also owned android phones and a tablet. The tablet I sent back in the 1st week with a cracked screen... what a cheap piece on crap.

Maybe people should ask the actual owners of the devices (which overwhelmingly love them) than a company that gets paid to nitpick the stupidest things.

1. d3vy

"than a company that gets paid to nitpick the stupidest things."

You realise that they do other mobile devices too right? Not just apple?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"IPads are very very durable. I’ve exposed them to everything imaginable"

You obviously lack imagination. My imagination includes hydrofluoric acid, potassium permanganate, and salesmen. Salesmen being the worst.

1. Shadow Systems

At Voyna i Mor, re: hazards.

Add a child with fingers covered in peanut butter, jam, snot, grease, ear wax, fingerpaint, chalk dust, glitter glue, random "classroom pet" fur/poop/food, and you can kiss that touch screen goodbye.

Add in the inevitable kid that "accidentally" uses a permanent marker, ink pen, crayon, or coloured pencil, whoops there goes another screen.

Oh look! A hole! Let's see what fits in there! Now your charging/data port is full of fluff, lint, crumbs, peanut butter, ear wax, snot, fur, poop, pencil shavings, glitter glue, the random entrails of an animal you can't identify, or other substances which a forensics team would be hard pressed to determine.

Children are already the main source of destruction in the universe, bored shitless, inquisitive as hell, armed with any number of items, angry at their teacher/other students school children only make that exponentially worse.

Obviously BooHoo4U has never had a child stick a PB&J sandwich into the VCR, a pita bread into the CD/DVD tray, a Tootsieroll into a USB port, or take apart the alarm clock to find out what makes it tick... because if they had such experiences, letting a school child loose with a ~$400 bit of electronics would be the *last* item on the list of things to do by sane people.

But the rest of us are obviously mistaken. Apple devices are so rugged as to shrug off anything such a child might try, & are so inexpensive as to stand up to being used as weaponry in a cafeteria food fight.

I'm so glad BooHoo4U could set the record straight! /Sarcasm.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: At Voyna i Mor, re: hazards.

Yes, the downvote was presumably because I forgot to mention the main source of entropy increase in the Universe, which is children.

I have nothing against salesmen - they do an important job and without them it's hard to make a company function - but some of the things I have seen them do with portable computing devices would not be kind to an iPad. The most extreme case being the guy who was trying to do a software demo in the course of which he removed various bits of gear from his bag - in the days of Zip drives, removable hard drives and the like - and then proceeded to throw them back into the bag again on top of a laptop.

2. d3vy

Re: At Voyna i Mor, re: hazards.

"Add a child with fingers covered in peanut butter, jam, snot, grease, ear wax, fingerpaint, chalk dust, glitter glue, random "classroom pet" fur/poop/food, and you can kiss that touch screen goodbye.

Add in the inevitable kid that "accidentally" uses a permanent marker, ink pen, crayon, or coloured pencil, whoops there goes another screen."

Dude - Screens are much hardier than you seem to give them credit for - literally nothing that you described above would take more than a wet wipe to sort out.

Also screen protectors are a thing.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Raise your hand if you’d give a kid an electronic device costing hundreds of dollars, without purchasing a child proof case for it?

I hope no one raised their hand...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Boohoo4u

Without wishing to be critical the devices are aimed at children, a case is optional.

2. d3vy

"Raise your hand if you’d give a kid an electronic device costing hundreds of dollars, without purchasing a child proof case for it?"

I'd raise my hand.. because before buying things for my kids I look at how easy they are to repair.

So they both have iPhones because I know that I can get a new screen for < £30 and can normally swap them in around 5-10 minutes depending on how badly broken they are. They also both have older generation iPad minis because despite being glued the screens on those are quite easy to swap too... based on this article I probably wouldn't buy them a newer iPad..

You seem to have some aversion to being well informed about your purchases.

3. Shadow Systems

At BooHoo4U, re covers.

You want to take a device that's priced at "only" ~$200 for educational use, costs another ~$75 if you want to add that vaunted pencil, and then slap on another ~$100 for a child resistant case? That's a pretty expensive bit of kit you want to foist upon a school that may already be strapped for cash.

I don't know about you but the school where my son teaches could better put that kind of money into other frivolous things like actual pencils, paper, lesson books, or providing a nutricious breakfast for the children.

So which do you choose: a fancy Apple device that others have shown to be a maintenence nightmare that will require even more money to keep working, or to give them the base tools with which the students can Get Shit Done?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Do you carry your monitor around in a bag all day ?

Do you unplug you hard disks regularly ?

Do you prod a poke your monitor ?

Do you occasionally drop your monitor on the floor ?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I bet you're one of those users that always holds it right.

5. d3vy

"iFixit can you give me repair grade on my HDD hard drive? What about my LCD monitor?"

Well the thing to remember here is that you can expect a mobile device with a glass front to sustain more damage than a hard drive or a fixed LCD Monitor (Though interestingly some LCD monitors are quite easy to take apart and swap out faulty components if you know what youre looking at)

The point of the iFixit article is to give you an idea of what to expect if/when you break your device - some people wont care - thats fine, this article isnt for them. Others however will care - for example because I work in IT so "Must know" these things, end up doing at least one screen swap a month for friends/family - its good to know what to expect in advance.

6. Jamesit

"The people at iFixit concluded: "Adding up zero waterproofing + a non-replaceable charging port + zero upgradability + glue throughout = repair nightmare."

Please read the article again.

1. Lee D Silver badge

Raises hand as someone who manages 500 iPads for children which all have "child-proof" cases on them.

We also have a budget code for "kid broke it, our preferred repairer had to change the screen again and/or it's the third time for a new screen so it's now basically irreparable (buttons, casing, etc.) and the parents have to pay for that". An actual budget code.

In an environment where they're not ALLOWED to take the devices home. They are FORCED to put them away neatly at the end of the day, and on charge, and in a secure lockbox, overseen by an adult. They aren't ALLOWED to use them outside of lesson, unsupervised, or throw them around in the playground.

I'd estimate 2-3 a week, if not more.

Similar number of Chromebooks? 4 screen repairs in two years, all £25 module-swap replacements from Amazon. Work fine. And Chromebook are huge things with hinges and stuff.

Half the number of Android tablets? Er. Dunno. Yet to repair one.

Honestly, Apple stuff is as fragile as crystalline shite.

1. Lee D Silver badge

(P.S. Do not make me count how many "official" lightning cables just snap in two at the end. We stopped buying them except once a term because it was getting silly.)

2. djstardust

Just

Don't buy it.

They will all get the message ..... eventually .....

I can guarantee if someone sold unrepairable cars then there would be a revolt. This is no different.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just

I can guarantee if someone sold unrepairable cars then there would be a revolt.

French cars continue to sell, despite such gems as having to remove a bumper to replace a headlight bulb (and my VW group vehicle has some leanings in that direction with front indicators using filament bulbs permanently sealed in the reflector unit.

1. d3vy

"French cars continue to sell, despite such gems as having to remove a bumper to replace a headlight bulb"

Repairable and easy to repair are different things...

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

They will all get the message ..... eventually .....

Not really, many manufacturers have made unrepairable tablets then dropped out of tablet manufacturing altogether.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Did you just compare a car to a miniaturized electronic device?

I’ve seen tablets that have been repaired. The kits to repair them are garbage. The glass replacements are easily scratched and crack. They are no where close to OEM quality.

My nephew got a iPad glass replacement by a “professional” repair company.. the glass shifts around (because they didn’t use enough glue) and the audio port no longer works. You get what you pay for. With Apple you get your device back in mint condition.

I took one iPad that was nearing the end of its warranty into an Apple Store, it had a tiny scratch in the coating on the glass. They gave me a brand new one to replace it. No not a referb, but new (you can tell by the model).

People bitch about things they know nothing about...

You think Apple hasn’t done the math on the appropriate amount of glue to hold things properly together?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

My nephew got a iPad glass replacement by a “professional” repair company.. the glass shifts around (because they didn’t use enough glue) and the audio port no longer works. You get what you pay for. With Apple you get your device back in mint condition.

Because often the repair involves putting the motherboard in a completely new outer shell which is extremely difficult to get hold of unless you're Apple and has to be glued together. Hence it is not repairable.

2. d3vy

"My nephew got a iPad glass replacement by a “professional” repair company.. the glass shifts around (because they didn’t use enough glue) and the audio port no longer works. You get what you pay for. With Apple you get your device back in mint condition"

That kind of illustrates the point that you are arguing against - if they were easier to repair it would be easier to do a better job of it!

With regards to "you get what you pay for" - yes, you get pretty much the same quality parts without the apple stamp on them for about half the price. As an example Apple battery replacement in my wifes iPhone 6.. £75 cost for me to do it £25. Bought from a reputable supplier that I have been using for years - I have every confidence that this battery will last as long as the apple supplied one.. and if it doesnt I can still buy another two and not be out of pocket!

1. cambsukguy

Wow, I bought an original, new 3000mAh battery for my phone for £9 and fitted it in 30s.

And I carry the old one as an instant re-charge for tough travel days since it takes up almost no space.

I guess everyone has a different view of good value - especially as I just bought an entire, working, high spec phone (used, I should add) for the price of an iPhone battery change (the expensive one - £75).

More Apps are just not worth that much more money, especially when you add in the limitations of iOS.

3. Synkronicity

What are you even arguing about? You've completely lost it.

4. fobobob

Analogies. They are a thing.

5. DasWezel
        Facepalm

"People bitch about things they know nothing about..."

Well, quite.

4. Dave 126 Silver badge

> I can guarantee if someone sold unrepairable cars then there would be a revolt. This is no different.

You do realise that to build a car from its parts catalogue would cost many times its list price? The cost of replacement car parts - often hidden from us directly because of insurance companies - subsidises the cost of new cars. It's been that way for decades.

This revolt of which you speak - I've seen no sign of it in response to easily damaged and expensive colour-matched bumpers fitted to almost all new cars.

3. ThomH

"Apple's 'education' iPad is still a case of won't – not can't – so we graded it accordingly"

I was under the impression that a repairability score was solely about the extent to which a thing can be repaired. An iPad should score a low number on that basis alone. Is there a need to start making value judgements about the company?

If there were an actual immutable physical reason why Apple had no choice but to sell a device that couldn't be repaired at all, would it get a high repairability score because it was a case of can't not won't?

I'm all for admitting that the iPad is not much of a repairable device, and that Apple's prioritisation partly explains that, but it's somewhat editorialising to suggest you deducted points from a repairability assessment because of the latter.

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: "Apple's 'education' iPad is still a case of won't – not can't – so we graded it accordingly"

I would imagine it's more a case that if it were not possible to build a repairable tablet, then they would score higher. Since it IS possible, Apple get a lower grade.

1. ThomH

Re: "Apple's 'education' iPad is still a case of won't – not can't – so we graded it accordingly"

I still don't see the logic. If it were not possible to build a repairable tablet, I'd want my tablet to get a zero repairability score since it cannot be repaired.

I don't really want my repairability scores to have an editorial stance, I just want to be able to make a value-for-money assessment.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

The low score is due to the limited amount of things you can repair and the difficulty involved in repairing them is high. Apple chose to design it that way. Not too difficult to understand I would have thought.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I still don't see the logic.

Here's an example: it's not practical to make a phone/tablet battery pack where you can replace a faulty individual cell, so they don't mark down devices where you have to replace the complete battery pack. If, however, they inspected a TV remote control (say) where the genius manufacturer had decided to solder together the AAA cells then they would mark it down, because that would be an unnecessary dumb-ass choice by the manufacturer.

2. d3vy

"I would imagine it's more a case that if it were not possible to build a repairable tablet, then they would score higher. Since it IS possible, Apple get a lower grade."

It certainly is possible because apple did it with some of the other iPads.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The simple solution then is to glue the children as well. I don't see what the fuss is.

1. 404

They glue themselves - no interaction required. - Parent 6 boys, 1 girl*.

*girl more difficult than the six boys combined...

5. W Donelson

OMG what? El Reg slandering Apple again?

What a surprise.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: OMG what? El Reg slandering Apple again?

Well, W Donelson,

Start by looking up the difference between slander and libel.

Then do some more learning, on anything really, you have a long road ahead.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

1. It'd be libel, not slander.

2. It's not libel as their low repairability is a statement of fact.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"2. It's not libel as their low repairability is a statement of fact."

Principle of English law: "The greater the truth, the greater the libel." There are various defences to libel such as public interest, and this I think falls into this category.

But you also need to prove the libel has caused damage of some kind (financial, reputational), and all the evidence is that, like Ms. Daniels' short-term boyfriend, Apple seems incapable of suffering reputational or financial damage from adverse reporting.

3. d3vy

Actually El' Reg just reported on iFixits findings.

iFixit being quite a well respected source on such information I'm inclined to believe it.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm pretty sure and stop me if I'm wrong but the "biting the hand that feeds IT" in the header kind of tells you what the register is about. Do you believe they are picking on anyone in particular? Do Apple deserve special treatment? Can you highlight a series of articles giving praise to one particular company? (devops and agile are not companies)

I do enjoy when people post comments such as yours, could you explain why and what is actually or factually wrong with the article? I await your response with the anticipation of a seven year old getting a lego train set.

6. Steve Aubrey
    Trollface

Eadon's back?

After a company tattoo change, it seems . . .

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doesn't make sense

They seem to be able to build the iPhone with pretty respectable repairability scores (7s for years, dropping to 6 for the 8/X presumably because of the glass back) yet they don't seem to put much thought into making the iPad easier to repair.

While I'm sure tablets are damaged much less often than phones because few are carried with someone everywhere like a phone is, they are also kept in service a lot longer than the average phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Doesn't make sense

"they are also kept in service a lot longer than the average phone."

And that's why in fact it does make sense, if you happen to work in sales.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Doesn't make sense

Everything is a conspiracy when it comes to Apple for some people.

If they wanted to make more money by making products less repairable, they'd be much better off doing so with the iPhone which costs more than the iPad and has a shorter replacement cycle.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You’re all idiots.

Every one of you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You’re all idiots.

Twat.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Jerk.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Mullet.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Cockwomble

2. 404

That's what yo momma said to the line of gents outside her door...

9. werdsmith Silver badge

So these new iPads need iCare warranty which makes them £100+ more expensive than they seem.

For kids I would always get something cheap enough to be disposable, £300 for a youtube/netflix viewer device just isn't necessary.

1. d3vy

To be fair, second hand older iPads are actually quite good value.

In my experience* I'd rather have an apple tablet than an android one (We have several of both in the house). But I cant see myself owning iPhone.. or a Mac.

* Others experience may vary

10. Neal McQ

I think I should keep this post ready in a template for 'copy and paste' every time an article comes up on this topic with iPads and schools.

"Frasier Speirs, is a teacher at a school in Scotland where he "designed and deployed the world's first whole-school 1:1 iPad deployment in 2010" - and has been running the program ever since. Their breakage rate is between 1-4% since the outset: I'd argue it's hard to get much better than that considering human nature, etc.

(he discusses it in the final third of this podcast following the recent Apple Education event: https://www.relay.fm/canvas/57)"

Sure, the repairability of iPads isn't great, but the amount of times they need to be repaired is also very low.....

1. Aladdin Sane

Public or state school? Ages? Gender? Socio-economic background? Which models of iPads were deployed?

1. Rufus

Cedars

The school in question is an independent Christian fee paying school in Scotland, co-ed for ages 5-18 with approximately 10 pupils per year (and I presume similar or smaller class sizes).

11. jms222

French ?

> "French cars continue to sell, despite such gems as having to remove a bumper to replace a headlight bulb"

Friend recently bought some fancy headlamps and complaining about having to do exactly this to his Astra van.

Though I suspect you have to drop the engine out of a Renault to release the bumper.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like