back to article Facebook to extend bug bounty to cover data leakage, sever ties to data brokers

Facebook has outlined a set of changes to its platform that impact developers and data brokers. The changes appear to be reactions to the company’s recent and well-publicised troubles stemming from unauthorised use of some data for contentious political purposes. Data brokers will suffer for Facebook's sins by being excluded …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

misuses of data by app developers

"Facebook’s also eating its own dogfood by tapping communities to help out, in this case by expanding its bug bounty program “so that people can also report to us if they find misuses of data by app developers.”

It was Facebooks job to monitor app developers misuse of data.

I see Zuck is trying to make users and/or researchers prove misuse of data by shady developers.

I have never used the Graph API but if I am understanding what I read on Facebook's Developer the developer has to have an account with Facebook.

I do know that the Graph API uses access tokens to slurp user data, wouldn't this slurp be logged and saved to Facebook's massive database just as it is when the user themselves is logged in to their Facebook account?

I believe Zuck & CO knows EXACTLY who did what and when and to whom.

I thought Facebook promised to be more truthful and transparent?

But if you insist, I'll mail you a long list of shady developers that I have been watching over the years..although it would be much easier if I send you a list of developers that don't abuse user data...sadly, the latter is a very short list indeed.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I believe Zuck & CO knows EXACTLY who did what and when and to whom.

But FB wants its to make it appear that it's ok to continue to just delegate its obligations and responsilibilities to outsiders to provide the necessary evidence to act upon (which they already hold).

Does any other State Security Organisation run in such a way with such lax security controls ?

1. BebopWeBop

Re: I believe Zuck & CO knows EXACTLY who did what and when and to whom.

Does any other State Security Organisation run in such a way with such lax security controls ?

Well if you mean proxy SSO then sadly many do. And even a number of state run organisations have been somewhat careless (hello US government)

3. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Unhappy

Just a couple of rogue engineers...

Move along folks.

4. Marcus000

Image?

Is it just me or can I sense a re-branding in the making? Surely the executives will have suggested this as a way to take the nasty taste from the mouths of users?

5. Scott Broukell

I understand that Facebook is going to make some changes to it's PIRACY settings!

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

Can you tell Zuckerberg is an ... errr .... "globalist"?

“We know these changes are not easy,” wrote Facebook’s director of product partnerships Ime Archibong, “but we believe these updates will help mitigate any breach of trust with the broader developer ecosystem.”

Such suffering for us.

7. teknopaul

misuse of data, is it going to ban itself?

One rule for... oh never mind its all a cia plot anyway.

Just stay away.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Archibong

Any relation to Steve Bong?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook Lies - They'll buy Experian 6 months from now

Look to the Google / Double-Click deal which was never supposed to happen. Judging by the timeline of 6 months, that's when Zucky thinks he'll be out of hot water too.... Plus, this closing note is especially revealing:

....."Facebook will still be working with the data companies to provide third-party measurement of their ads’ effectiveness, the company said.".....

==============

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-28/facebook-to-block-option-of-using-data-brokers-for-ad-targeting

==============

1. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Robert D Bank

Horse, door, bolt. The damage has already been done. Some data 'may' become a bit stale over time, but really it won't matter, there's so many other sources.

They should be FORCED to identify who the victims are, and who the benefactors are, and at the very least all be made to compensate the victims by at least the equivalent commercial value of their information on the market over their lifetime.

If they won't comply with handing the data over just hit them with an estimate that includes the effect on victims going forward for their lifetime, including the effects on their children. That might get their attention.

11. EnviableOne

Promises promises

S2D2 heard this all before from FB, when they actually change something and set accoutns to locked down by default, i will start to believe them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like