back to article Get the message, PHBs: New York City mulls ban on after-hours biz email

New York's City Council is mulling a law that would make it illegal for employers to require workers be on-call to answer emails after clocking out for the day. Introduction 726, put forward this month by Council Member Rafael Espinal (D-Brooklyn), would require organizations to allow their employees to disconnect during non- …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

"except in cases of emergency"...

Everybody who works in IT knows that there's ALWAYS an emergency...

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: "except in cases of emergency"...

Everybody who works in IT knows that there's ALWAYS an emergency because your PHB (or MBA Clone) of a manager says so, even if it is something as stupid as being locked out of Solitaire.

{there speaks the voice of experience}

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

You can tell how much of an emergency it is by the number of exclamation marks in the subject line where 0= emergency, 1 = emergency + 1, 2 = emergency + 2...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I tell people to call me if it's a real emergency, or email me if it can wait until the next day. Simple. It even works in NYC.

2. TrumpSlurp the Troll
    Thumb Up

No working for free

Seems sensible. If you want people to work from home just pay them. Simples.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No working for free

Exactly! Who in their right mind reads , let alone answers, business e-mails after hours?

More to the point why not switch odd the business phone as you walk out of the office door and only switch it on again when you return the next day. Either that or keep a time sheet of all the extra hours spent and submit it as overtime.

1. Nial

"Exactly! Who in their right mind reads , let alone answers, business e-mails after hours?"

Everybody who works for themselves.

Although I suppose for us there's no such thing as "after hours".

1. Joe Werner Silver badge

Yes, if you are self-employed you are your own boss and get to decide this. You can go cycling as early as you wish, or you can work as long as you want to (or see the need to). This is both a blessing and a curse.

If I read business mails after hours I actually take TIL (no overtime payment...). Simples. I have not been questioned about this, but I do this openly. There are also times when I work really crazy hours (deadlines, inspiration strikes).

One thing: my next employer forbids me to clock time on Sundays. Thus: no business mails on Sundays. No exception, unless something burns (and then it is probably not my immediate problem and dealing with it early on Monday is probably good enough).

3. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Unhappy

Good luck with that

No, seriously. Unfortunately, I suspect the business leaders of New York will explain how they could just as easily pack up and move their businesses to New Jersey, and that will put an end to this plan.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Good luck with that

Don't have to move to the Garden State, just move out of NYC. The real problem is the bill is not thought through. Some professions really do need to be on call. The question becomes how many need to available and could a company have a rotation for on call staff that would allow both reasonable coverage and some respite for the rest of the staff.

1. Charles 9

Thing is, a place like Newark, New Jersey may be a better place to resettle than elsewhere in New York State (and it's still easy to go back to New York if necessary). Furthermore, threatening to move out of the state would deprive the state of lucrative corporate taxes, meaning Albany can get involved to rein in the Big Apple.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Jersey City is less than a mile away across the Hudson River. Less than half the distance from the city of London to Canary Wharf and a much easier journey. Many of the big firms already have offices there. Were it to happen they would just push a few more people across the river.

2. vtcodger Silver badge

Not to mention that many NYC based businesses have suppliers/clients/customers in distant time zones. Going from memory, there is no overlap in normal working hours between NYC and Tokyo, Hong Kong, Beijing, India ...

2. Tom 7

It would be a lot cheaper to pay people extra to be on call. It would probably be a lot cheaper in the long run to pay for managers who could fucking manage.

1. Charles 9

But try telling that to the short-sighted investors...

3. phuzz Silver badge

It doesn't say you can't be on call, it just says you have to be paid overtime if you are.

Where I work you get a monthly bonus for being on call, plus overtime if we actually have to do something out of hours.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For some reason

My work phone runs out of battery about 5pm weekdays and all day weekends.

I blame Apple.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I handed my work phone back in

Do yourself a favour.

It's called employment, not slavery.

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: I handed my work phone back in

Work phone?

Goes in the drawer at the end of the day.

Bye phone- see you tomorrow.

Extra money sees the phone have an outing.

'Nuff Said!

6. GlenP Silver badge

Would be nice but...

I'd rather know what s**t is happening with the systems than have an almighty mess to deal with when I return to the office.

Like in the days before email when the tape drive failed on a Unix box. Despite phoning me (I had the "mobile" carphone-attached-to-a-battery) and me telling them I'd sort it on my return the pHB insisted on calling in a PC engineer. His first act, since he didn't have a clue about Unix, was to power down the server. Cue a week of rebuilding and recovering given that of course we didn't have a backup for a few days.

7. intrigid

During the weeks I'm on call, I receive a bonus which works out to about an additional 30% of my regular pay. That doesn't include overtime when I actually receive a call. Pay employees appropriately, and you will have no shortage of after-hours support.

Another case of legislators full of solutions that are desperately in search of a problem.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like