back to article Oracle sued over claims of shoddy service, licensing designed to force adoption of its kit

Oracle has been sued in the US for allegedly engaging in a scheme to force owners of point-of-sale gear to switch to its subscription-based Simphony system in violation of contract and trade laws. A&E Adventures, a Florida-based operator of family entertainment centers, filed the complaint last month in Florida state court. …

1. Milton

The funny thing about buying Oracle ...

The funny thing about buying Oracle products or services is that, from the moment the ink is dry, Oracle will try every single dirty trick it knows—and there are so many—in order to own you.

1. Noodle

Re: The funny thing about buying Oracle ...

This story is about a business who bought a POS product from MICROS (not Oracle), which has since been taken over by Oracle and slowly run into the ground in order to force customers onto their new POS service. I've worked at a different business in the exact same situation, it's typical Oracle tactics.

2. ds6 Silver badge

Why hasn't Oracle died yet?

Do you think if we get some pitchforks and torches that we can run Oracle out of town?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why hasn't Oracle died yet?

alas that won't happen because people soft.

1. J. Cook Silver badge
        Mushroom

Yep, and all the poor poor b@$tards that are stuck with using PeopleSoft, because moving to anything else costs at least six digits (and the first digit usually being a '2' or higher!) and is just as crap.

1. Mark 110

I disagree with the 'just as crap bit'.

3. Rockets

Typical Behaviour

Typical behaviour from that One Rich Asshole Called Larry Ellison. How else is he going to pay for his Americas Cup campaigns?

4. oldtaku Silver badge
    Devil

This sounds deeply familiar

Anyone who's ever dealt with Oracle should be nodding about now. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop... ever, until you are giving them all your money!

1. BebopWeBop

Re: This sounds deeply familiar

And even after, they will be wanting your first born as well.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: This sounds deeply familiar

And even after, they will be wanting your first born as well.

And your boot, clothes and motorcycle..

5. Mr. Flibble
    Flame

In this case, POS does not mean "Point of Sale"....

Don't get me started, oh, wait, you did... sorry:

Someone told me recently that the only reason Oracle bought Micros was to lower their tax bill...

And no, he didn't seem to be joking.

Micros Fidelio support has been crap for as long as I have had to deal with them, but according to ex-colleagues they've got worse still, which is hard to believe is possible.

Their tills are ridiculously expensive for their specs, and when I contacted them about a directory traversal attack on their crappy software, I was told that it wasn't a security problem and to go away!

Oh, and don't get me started about that piece of crap Property Management System called Opera that they keep saying only supports an antiquated version of Java, and needs 15 specific browser settings and IE in compatibility mode to work properly....

I mean, sheeet, the company is too tight to even buy a SSL Cert from a company that any browsers know about, and that's their cloudy platform, not just some random internal server!

Last year, a project was delayed because Oracle shut down their ordering systems for a month so we couldn't order any upgrades! What sane company does that???

</rant>

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge
      WTF?

Re: In this case, POS does not mean "Point of Sale"....

... shut down their ordering systems for a month so we couldn't order any upgrades! What sane company does that???

Indeed, but Juniper do that as well - every January their systems are down for up to several weeks for upgrades. Bit of an inconvenience when you haven't yet discovered this and need a licence key for one of their appliances.

6. DavidCarter

Same can be said for Microsoft and lack of Server CALs when using Azure...

1. iRadiate

Fine so when theres an article about MS that you need to comment upon feel free to talk about your experiences....until then this is about bashing Oracle. Not all oracle is bad. I work for them and there are people here who genuinely care but unfortunately we get let down by the less caring bastards higher up the food chain

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ iRadiate

I feel that pain. It's the same in most large Corporations.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I also work for Oracle.... sounds like some sort of guilty admission on this forum.....

The stuff I do is remote from customers, but I'm surrounded by bright technical people who really want our products and services to be the best ..... so seeing an Oracle headline and reading these comments is just plain depressing .....

Anonymous, because I don't like pitch-forks !

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> I also work for Oracle....

Please, do the ethical thing and find another employer. Your current one uses the results of your time and best efforts to damage humanity in general. On purpose.

2. Mr. Flibble

@AC

Don't get me wrong, I like /Oracle/ products. It was so horrible going from Oracle DBs at Uni to MS Access in my job. (Yes I know they work at different scales (in terms of both capacity and cost), but it was a shock moving from a decent product to "My First Database Application").

It will be a happy day when I do not have to deal with Micros products ever again. Sadly that day is a long way off.

2. sabroni Silver badge

re: Same can be said for Microsoft

They purchased a business selling POS terminals and serviced them badly in an attempt to move the customers to Azure? Or they're also a software company that people dislike?

Only one of those is "the same".

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Look - this is just the way Oracle does aquisitions....

Buy the company; monetize EVERYTHING possible.... ignore all the customers and staff from your borged company and hike as much as you can fees wise.

If you lose 30.40% of customers, who cares......you can afford to lose them....

This is the Oracle world.....(from someone who was borged by them from Sun).

8. Tim99 Silver badge

An old saw

I feel some sympathy with the customers, but I have published this here before: Q: What do you call Oracle customers? - A: Hostages.

It would seem an act of self preservation to only use (or construct) systems that do not use the Oracle stack anywhere, as they will suck you further into their alligator infested swamp. It may be better to use a "less capable" database and pay extra for the hardware to run it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like