back to article Magic Leap bounds into SF's Games Developer Conference and... disappears

After months – no, years – of Magic Leap promising to revolutionize the gaming world with its augmented reality technology, this week the company finally launched… sort of. Magic Leap released its software developers kit (SDK) in the hope of persuading developers to create new games for its platform. Soon after, it announced …

1. ThatOne Silver badge
    Coat

Well, they clearly take it one step at a time: They have mastered the "augmented" part, now they will tackle the "reality" part...

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Boffin

"They have mastered the "augmented" part, now they will tackle the "reality" part..."

Please, I think it's fairly obvious that Magic Leap have succeeded completely. Augmented Reality is about making people see things that aren't really there, and it certainly seems to be the case that their partners are seeing things that don't exist. Like their product.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

They have mastered the "augmented" part

..particularly when the phrase contains the words "bank account" or "executive pay packet". Not so much when you talk about hardware or software.

3. macjules

Actually this is very likely yet another Magic Leap fraudulent boast: with about as much credence as an ICO search warrant.My understanding of the Epic game engine licensing is that there is no actual upfront costs involved but there is a requirement under the licensing agreement to pay Epic Games a 5% royalty based on gross revenue.

So it is very easy for anyone, especially Magic Leap, to make such claims without the need to substantiate the claims by putting their (conned investors') money where their mouth is.

More info: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/custom-licensing

2. Youngone Silver badge

Weta Workshop

Meanwhile the New Zealand media have been unquestioningly repeating Weta Digital's press releases about their "game-changing" partnership with Magic Leap because I think if they write anything critical of Weta they will be charged with treason.

I am sure it's Magic Leap paying Weta rather than the other way around, because if the guys at Weta Digital know anything, it's how to get paid.

I will never forget the $50 million taxpayers were extorted out of to keep the Hobbit movies here.

1. Charles 9

Re: Weta Workshop

"I will never forget the $50 million taxpayers were extorted out of to keep the Hobbit movies here."

It's nothing new. The oil industry does it all the time: threaten to leave the country and take their tax revenues with them, leaving them with a choice: 10% of something (along with the jobs and payroll taxes) or 100% of nothing.

2. Scott 26

Re: Weta Workshop

Came here to post that....

RNZ article: https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/352809/weta-expands-into-gaming-sector

You'd think they wouldn't be suckers for vapourware.... but whatdoyaknow?

3. JLV
    Trollface

I bet reddit/magicleap is full of true believers angrily denouncing your "unprofessional and disrespectful" slander. It was last time.

Popcorn till the Ponzi pops.

1. JLV

sure enough...

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicleap/comments/86975g/this_feels_embarrassing_heres_hoping_for_atleast/?st=jf2t380p&sh=00a5fd8f

may have to ask for desktop site if no content is displayed on a mobile.

4. Sir Runcible Spoon
    Paris Hilton

When you see the engineer

Ask him if they are advertising for so many engineers because the last lot were blinded by their prototype? You never know.

1. BebopWeBop
      Happy

Re: When you see the engineer

There could be other explanations of blindness (possibly related to AR)

5. Craigie

Did deep enough and I'm sure you'll find some old Delorean people in this somewhere.

1. Peter2 Silver badge

As I understand it, Delorean was actually in production and selling cars when it was put out of business by the owner being accused of drug dealing. By the time he was found not guilty all of the investors for the project had fled and the company went bankrupt having sold about ten thousand cars.

This is different, when the investors dry up it's unlikely to deliver any production hardware.

1. Charles 9

As I understand it, Delorean getting busted on drug charges was simply the nail in the coffin as DMC itself was already circling the drain due to their one car being, to put it mildly, a clusterfsck.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
          Black Helicopters

But...but...

due to their one car being, to put it mildly, a clusterfsck.

It can do 88mph and travel through Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Flux Capacitor icon -->

1. Charles 9

Re: But...but...

I strongly suspect Universal didn't get the Delorean(s) it used for the Back to the Future trilogy at full asking price.

1. Peter2 Silver badge

What film does? Allegedly, car manufacturers pay to have their cars in films.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Allegedly, car manufacturers pay to have their cars in films.

I don't think DMC did. They'd been bankrupt for three years when BackFuture came out in '85.

1. Charles 9

So IOW, Universal probably got the car(s) at fire sale (aka distress) prices. Nice way to get a cool-looking car (being Hollywood, actual performance wasn't as big an issue) while controlling the budget.

6. MonkeyNuts.Com
    Paris Hilton

Its wicked

Listen, not only have I tried Magic Leap, I have got one at home - its super awesome.

I am also high as a kite on coke, and rum.

Paris, because you only need a excellent video, not a product to get the fanbois bashing those keyboards #Hype.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Its wicked

I rather like a rum and coke every once in a while. With a big splash of lime juice.

But somehow I suspect your coke tastes a bit different to mine...

1. Flakk

I rather like a rum and coke every once in a while. With a big splash of lime juice.

¡Cuba Libre!

2. onefang

"But somehow I suspect your coke tastes a bit different to mine..."

Not if it's the original original Coke recipe.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll take a job...

...just give me a million to produce fuck all and then it's win win for everyone.

1. Chris 244

Re: I'll take a job...

You're hired! Here is your million ... in stock options (non-redeemable until product launch).

8. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Magic vapour?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stand Way Back - It's Gonna Get Wet

Two demos tomorrow? Is it safe to bet a whale video will figure somewhere in all of this?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon