back to article Diplomats, 'Net greybeards work to disarm USA, China and Russia’s cyber-weapons

The USA, China and Russia are doing all that they can to avoid development of a treaty that would make it hard for them to conduct cyber-war, but an effort led by the governments of The Netherlands, France and Singapore, together with Microsoft and The Internet Society, is using diplomacy to find another way to stop state- …

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Hilarious

The slide verbatim reads like the Russian definition of Internet systems considered critical national infrastructure from their recent law which made the CXX suite criminally responsible if they are not secured.

All that effort when they could simply cut and paste it (+/- translation). Or maybe they did...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's a lovely idea but tell me, how do you know who did it? It's not like the country producing the cyber-weapon is going to sign it or are we just going to rely on "experts" who without any actual evidence (other than maybe the language/style used) to finger a country?

Also lets say you decide to try the smart way of "Country Attacked" like say Ukraine you would say Russia, how do you know it wasn't another country trying to frame another one?

3. redpawn

Nothing is any good

unless you can turn it into a weapon. Nothing to fix here.

4. Chozo
    Joke

Cyberwarfare as a Spectator sport then perhaps?

Good evening sports fans after yesterdays shocking turn of events at the celebrity shouting match between the USA's Ronald Lee Ermey versus Linus Torvalds ended in a draw after a referee was decapitated with a keyboard the anticipation is reaching fever pitch for tonight's long overdue grudge match as Britain's MI5 attempts to identify the Anonymous Cowards at the Register

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cyberwarfare as a Spectator sport then perhaps?

"as Britain's MI5 attempts to identify the Anonymous Cowards at the Register"

Actually that's not much of a challenge.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's not the being identified I mind, it's the insulting job offers the send me.

I didn't go to real school to be fancy policeman....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Zero challenge on that here; it's why I don't post as an Anonymous Coward. I've been told that my word choices and grammar are unique. Back on topic, I forsee also a problem with non-state actors jumping in should things kick off a "cyber-war." I know that I would jump in. We've already seen this.

5. Panicnow
    Facepalm

Cyber attacks ignore the laws of war

The only law of war is "Laws of war are written by the victor AFTER the event"

6. batfink
    FAIL

Meh

Usual problem here: how do we identify the perps? All the various spook agencies will continue as normal and if found out they will be saying "Wasn't me guv".

7. Colin Tree

trust

Until the physical layer and protocols are trustworthy and auditable nothing can be trusted.

Assuring authenticity has to be built into the physical layer.

Cryptography works until it is broken, then we move on to a longer key or different cypher.

Everything added to try and create trust is only a bandaid over a broken system.

Start again.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon