back to article You must be yolking: English pub to launch eggstravagent Yorkshire pudding

A Nottingham pub reckons it has cracked Easter PR with the launch of a Cadbury Creme Egg Yorkshire pud*. The Riverside Farm's egg-citing creation will be a traditional giant Yorkshire stuffed full of enough sugar to send your kids rattling around the room for the whole four-day weekend. According to local media reports, two …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bloody southerners.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

You mean Northerners.

1. tiggity Silver badge

Midlanders

(After all I submitted the story, not that there's any attribution!, so should know where I live)

1. wolfetone Silver badge

I wouldn't say Nottingham could be classed as being the midlands. Midlands starts at around Coventry and ends at Walsall.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

North of Watford - Northern, South of Watford - Southern. I believe.

1. muddysteve

Watford Gap, not Watford. They are different places. Watford is inside the M25, which would make me a Northerner, living in Hertfordshire. I can't be a Northerner - I wear a coat.

1. Locky

Anything south of me while standing on the North Pole, southern.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

That depends. If you're wearing a coat at the North Pole you're still southern.

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

@muddysteve

I did mean gap not just Watford but I'm curious nobody has mentioned the true marker which is the service station.

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

I can't be a Northerner - I wear a coat

My nephew (born and brought up in Kent) rarely wears a coat and only changes out of shorts if there's actively snow on the ground.

Mind you, he did go to Uni in Lancaster and now lives in Leeds so maybe he's been corrupted by Norvernness.

2. rmason

@wolfetone

You'd be wrong.

We Nottinghamshire residents are in the East Midlands.

3. Davegoody

Nottingham is in the EAST MIDLANDS........ you know near EAST MIDLANDS AIRPORT, which is sort of validation of that fact.....

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Yeah, just like Leeds Castle is in Kent and not Yorkshire!

2. wolfetone Silver badge

"Nottingham is in the EAST MIDLANDS........ you know near EAST MIDLANDS AIRPORT, which is sort of validation of that fact....."

Pfft. That's like saying Chelmsley Wood is in Solihull when in fact it's North Solihull because Solihull don't want them in Solihull.

And East Midlands "Airport"? You call that an aiport? That ain't an airport, THAT'S A LIE!

1. Sgt_Oddball

if it makes you feel any better...

There's no such thing as East Yorkshire. It's east riding and nothing more.

Mainly because that would mean having Hell Hull as part of God's own and no-one wants that.

Now the question of if your Northern or not is matter of knowledge over such things as a ginnel, a snicket and the whole words to 'on Ilkley moor by'tat'

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: if it makes you feel any better...

Where the ducks play football

2. Steve the Cynic

Re: if it makes you feel any better...

'on Ilkley moor by'tat'

There's a crushing irony in your spelling here, coupled with your question of knowledge of these lyrics being a criterion for Northernerness...

It's "baht 'at" ==> northernish for "without a hat".

Caveat Lector: Steve the Cynic was born in the N1 part of London, and has not lived anywhere north of Coventry.

Caveat Lector the second: However, his mother was born in Doncaster.

2. Shez

"And East Midlands "Airport"? You call that an aiport? That ain't an airport, THAT'S A LIE!"

have you ever been to Durham Tees Valley airport?

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Nottingham is in the EAST MIDLANDS........ you know near EAST MIDLANDS AIRPORT, which is sort of validation of that fact....."

Remind me again, just exactly where is Robin Hood Airport? :-p

1. Alister

Remind me again, just exactly where is Robin Hood Airport? :-p

Doncaster?

Which is north of Sheffield...

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

>Remind me again, just exactly where is Robin Hood Airport? :-p

Robin of Loxley came from what is now one of the northern suburbs of Sheffield. Having the airport in Doncaster is a little bit out of the way, perhaps Sheffield Airport (RIP) should have been named after Robin Hood.

4. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

@Davegoody.

What, like Robin Hood airport being in Doncaster?

That sort of "validation"?

5. collinsl Bronze badge

Is that the same way that London Oxford Airport is in London?

4. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Midlands starts at around Coventry and ends at Walsall."

Don't confuse the County of the West Midland with the The West Midlands...just, don't even go there! It's like Wolverhampton claiming it's in the Black Country.

Anyway F**K you urban lot, I'm from Mercia. That's the proper "midlands"

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

I'm from Mercia

Foreigner! I'm in Wessex meself. Was born in Mercia and brought up in Mittlesax. With a Cymric[1] mother and a Norse[2] father.

This ancestry business gets complicated.

[1] Welsh

[2] From Yorkshire

5. TonyJ

"...

I wouldn't say Nottingham could be classed as being the midlands. Midlands starts at around Coventry and ends at Walsall..."

You do realise that there's an EAST and a WEST Midlands, no?

I assure you that Nottingham falls very much in the EAST MIDLANDS!

Ooh I almost went full bombastic-bob there with the caps!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Nottingham northern?

It's simple:

Draw a line going through Manchester and Leeds. Anything above that is the North

Draw another line from Gloucester to Norwich, Anything below that is the South.

Anything in-between is the Midlands.

1. Captain Hogwash

Re: Draw a line going

Basically true, although people within counties which straddle that line are not likely to see a North-South divide within the county.

1. TRT Silver badge

The Watford Gap rule makes Redditch a southern town.

EDIT

Just realised that there doesn't seem to be ANY web resource which tells you if your town/city/address is north, or south, of Watford Gap. I sense a massive hole in the WWW.

2. AndrueC Silver badge
            Meh

Basically true, although people within counties which straddle that line are not likely to see a North-South divide within the county.

I think Northamptonshire does. Down in the south of the county most of us look toward Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire for employment and entertainment. We consider ourselves to be part of the M40 corridor. Our county town is a long way north (over half an hour away even though it's dual carriageway) and most of us can't be bothered going up there.

But Northamptonshire is an unusual shape - quite narrow and very north/south.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

The north (well north of England) starts to my mind somewhere between Preston and Lancaster when driving up the M6. And I remember the ructions in Cumbria (well, apart from a bunch of southerners in Kendal) when the BBC in its wisdom decided we'd be better served with local news from Manchester rather than Newcastle. Mike Neville was eminently preferrable to the alternative of <ahem> Stuart Hall

1. Aladdin Sane

Speaking as a Cornishman, anywhere north of Bristol is "North". Hell, east of the Tamar is a foreign land.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

My missus (then girlfriend) lived in Cornwall a few years ago. I was able to score major brownie points by bringing such "exotic" foods such as KFC and Pizza Hut down with me when I went to spend the weekend there.

Be stone cold, but she liked them!!

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: stone cold, but she liked them

But what about the food?

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Speaking as a Cornishman, anywhere north of

Exeter, according to t'missus. Born in Plymouth, of Cornish ancestry. Apparently, everything to the north of Exeter is up the line.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
                    Happy

I lived my formative years (7 to 16) in Exeter then went to Plymouth Polytechnic. I befriended a chap that had never been outside Plymouth. I used to wind him up by suggesting that the border ought to be moved so that Plymouth was in Cornwall "because we don't need it and it's lowering the tone of the county" :)

2. AndrueC Silver badge
          Meh

And speaking as a resident of South Northants I wish that 'South Midlands' was an official term. My outlook is definitely southern yet officially I live in the East Midlands even though I'm only a few miles from the west midlands :-/

Our part of Northamptonshire sticks down in to the area known as 'the South East'.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>Nottingham northern?

>It's simple:

>Draw a line going through Manchester and Leeds. Anything above that is the North

>Draw another line from Gloucester to Norwich, Anything below that is the South.

>Anything in-between is the Midlands.

Not sure Liverpool and Sheffield will be happy about being part of the Midlands. That is probably a better line to draw - especially if you fudge it to the Humber.

4. Phil Endecott

N or S of the river Trent, isn’t it?

Or pray facing Canterbury or York?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

N or S of the river Trent, isn’t it?

Probably better than many of the other suggestions. Means different things to different people, of course: for both Northerners and Southerners basis of a system of binary opposites to differentiate "us" from "them".

3. iron Silver badge

@wolfetone

Not from where I'm sitting.

4. TonyJ

The perils of the Midlands!

"...Bloody southerners..."

"...You mean Northerners..."

As someone from the East Midlands, it always amuses me that I only have to go a few miles either North of South and immediately get the above sentiments.

We're pretty much in the middle!! lol

Mind you this thing sounds like a heart attack on a plate. As well as, frankly, disgusting. :)

5. Noonoot

North starts at Melton Mowbray

Apparently the NORTH starts just over the Melton Mowbray (north side) border, so Nottingham is technically the NORTH!

Not that they know how to eat any better in South.

2. Oh Homer
      Childcatcher

Three problems...

• It's a bloody sacrilege. In places like Hutton-le-Hole you can actually still be hanged for doing this to a yorkie. Seriously, just ask George the local gallows polisher
      • It's disgusting, anyroad
      • With or without the yorkie, creme egg fondant make my teeth scream like a banshee

1. Chris G

Re: Three problems...

Speaking of Yorkies, the least they can do with this abomination is to use Yorkie bar chocolate, though I wouldn't eat it anyway.

I'm a southerner but as kids Yorkshire pud was either part of the Sunday roast and in my case flooded with my mum's gravy or occasionally we would have it hot with a spoonful of treacle or jam.

Bloody chocolate overwhelms almost everything, except possibly the yellow and white goo in a creme egg.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Three problems...

Not to mention that disgusting "chocolate" flavour brown goop they use.

3. macjules

Don't care where anyone comes from in the UK - just let me at the 1600 calories per bite concoction!

As for Cadbury's "shocking" revelation of sugar levels in a Cream Egg ... Pfft!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bloody southerners.

North of the Mason-Dixon line, so Northeners.

Hell, everyone in Europe - and on your island - is on the wrong side of the line.

1. Long John Brass

Re: Bloody southerners.

North of the Mason-Dixon line, so Northeners. Hell, everyone in Europe - and on your island - is on the wrong side of the line.

Hmmpf bloody septics, As an antipodean yer all Northerners from where I sit ;)

2. quxinot

Re: Bloody southerners.

>North of the Mason-Dixon line, so Northeners.

>

>Hell, everyone in Europe - and on your island - is on the wrong side of the line.

Oh hush, you lost the war.

2. Korev Silver badge
    Joke

Cost?

All those puns and you don't say how much we'll have to shell out for one...

1. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Cost?

Thinking about it, they may just give them away for free(range)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cost?

It'll batter your wallet that's for sure.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No, no, no and no.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

2 years ago that thar New Cadbury's had a pop-up cafe in London. They were selling Creme egg tray bake - which looked like the cheapest children's party vaguely chocolate-ish bone-dry sponge with pieces of creme egg on top. Then there was the egg with soldiers. Looked from the pics like Tesco's cheapest thin-sliced white loaf, toasted and margarined and cut into soldiers - that are totally impractical to dip into an egg with a centre that's basically solid.

And the Cadbury's Creme Egg toastie [cue: chord sung by heavenly choirs]. A colleague was due to go, and had sung the praises of this amazing concoction. Anyway for reasons, her friend let her down, and she was sad to miss out.

So I brought my toasty machine into the office, and made them for her.

They were absolutely fucking disgusting. Tasted like the vilest, cheapest chocolate spread in the world. Obviously even good choccie would struggle to impose its flavour over the fondant filling. Who's bright idea was it to cover icing in chocolate anyway...?

However the female denizens of the office disagreed with me on this opinion. They thought it was orgasmically amazingly delicious, and I was happy to provide them with seconds. The boss of the company downstairs decided to be the grump and complain about the smoke emanating from the joint kitchen. But you can't make a toasty without burning some butter.

the way to eat Creme Eggs correctly is to freeze them. Then bite the top off and sort of lick/suck the sugary stuff out of the middle. Then realise it's not that nice after all and don't eat any more until next year.

4. hplasm
    Pirate

Interesting....

I'll try one two for science.

Smoke me a bucket. I'll be back after the extra thin mint.

1. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Interesting....

Is that the bucket with the wings

1. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

@Korev

I think it's more the kind that the waiter should avoid stepping in...

2. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

@hplasm

But it's only waffer thin...

5. Aladdin Sane

Calories?

I'm expecting close to 5 figures.

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: Calories?

Get your insulin on standby

1. Pen-y-gors

I couldn't stand the sickly sweetness of Cream Eggs even before I was diagnosed!

2. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

"I'm expecting close to 5 figures."

You're already making excuses to chicken out of eating one

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: eating one

Because I want to eat 2.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You'll need a resurrection after eating that monstrosity.

1. Aladdin Sane

Down, down, you bring me down

1. TRT Silver badge

I won't buy creme eggs now that they're not dairy milk.

3. jake Silver badge

"I'm expecting close to 5 figures."

And no girl should have more than one ...

6. msknight

They're clucking insane. If it drives their customers to cross the road, they'll end up with egg on their face.

1. Alistair
      Windows

@msknight:

I don't know that bunnies cross the road. But you need to rework that to get the bun bit in.

HAUVA

1. Korev Silver badge
        Coat

What are you rabbiting on about?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Question is?

Is it going to be a true Cadbury spin off product and made in the traditional location of Poland?

8. steviebuk Silver badge

NO NO NO NO...

...I'm a southerner and this is a stupid idea.

Yorkshire Pudding with beef gravy. NO chocolate in site.

Made mine on Sunday just gone. Lovely. Following Jamie Oliver's guide he stuck on YouTube.

1. John Sager

Re: NO NO NO NO...

Jamie Oliver? For Yorkshire Pud? Or is that a wind-up? When I were a lad my Mum's Yorkshire pud with golden syrup was the pudding to die for, and I still occasionally eat it now. I say pudding, as we had never heard the word 'dessert'.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: NO NO NO NO...

I say pudding, as we had never heard the word 'dessert'.

Yeah, it's a southern word from where people eat cucumber sandwiches (crusts cut off, natch) on the lawn and call it "tea" which, weirdly, is before dinner.

9. Pen-y-gors

Direct action time

the elite food concoctions rating team at Vulture Central said it was a "monstrosity", and a third suggested we called the pub to "find out what they'd been drinking".

Meths and metal polish can do that to a chap.

But to be serious for once. This sounds like something so appalling that the good citizens of Nottingham have every right to get out the pitchforks, scythes and blazing brands and march on the pub en masse. Can you see Ye Olde Trippe toe Jerusalemee doing something like that?

1. rmason

Re: Direct action time

@Pen-y-gors

It won't last, it's a "for the facebook shares" exercise, nothing more.

Regards,

Disappointed of Nottinghamshire

1. Pen-y-gors

What was that about "No publicity is bad publicity"?

So very wrong in this case. Why would you want to be famous on FB for something like this? It could destroy your business. It's nearly as bad as putting kitten pie on the menu. (Not to be confused with Katt Pie, which is okay https://www.bakingmad.com/recipe/katt-pies and definitely not to be confused with Kit Kat pie)

2. veti Silver badge

I'm pretty sure that if the good citizens of Nottingham don't break out the pitchforks etc. at this provocation, they may later be held complicit when the matter comes to the Hague.

10. david willis

Yorkshire pudding - sweet or savoury

I’m from Yorkshire. The pudding can be served sweet or savoury. Hot or cold. Warm with strawberry jam and whipped cream is just as nice as hot with beef and gravy (obviously not on the same plate at the same time).

https://www.thespruce.com/ways-to-serve-yorkshire-puddings-435911

I do feel however that chocolate cake filled with cream egg filling, topped with cream eggs served in a Yorkshire pudding may be a bit “dry”... perhaps add some vanilla ice cream and some of the Cadbury’s mini eggs (for texture).. it might just work Grommit.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: Yorkshire pudding - sweet or savoury

The pudding can be served sweet or savoury.

When I read the heading I was expecting perhaps an egg-shaped yorkshire, dipped in chocolate. That I could take, but creme egg fondant? That's taking the yolk too far.

2. Diogenes

Re: Yorkshire pudding - sweet or savoury

I’m from Yorkshire. The pudding can be served sweet or savoury. Hot or cold. Warm with strawberry jam and whipped cream is just as nice as hot with beef and gravy (obviously not on the same plate at the same time).

Why not, being an ex-infantryman many is the meal I had on exercise where the steak, mashed potato, peas and corn had a serve of custard and sponge cake added. The second Cup-canteen was for the coffee and anti snake bite juice (rum taken orally just in case we were bitten by one of the many deadly Australia snakes)

11. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Oh dear no,...

... the 'Riverside Farm' is a 'new' pub attached to a Travel Tavern. I'm having dot.com boom flashbacks of Corby trouser presses, and large expense bills.

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: Oh dear no,...

Congrats on getting your second series.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh dear no,...

>... the 'Riverside Farm' is a 'new' pub attached to a Travel Tavern. I'm having dot.com boom flashbacks of Corby trouser presses, and large expense bills.

Riverside Farm is one of a chain of Farmhouse Inns, with the local ones known for carvery and cakes - and not for portion control in the size of said cakes. I recommend the large cream eclair, which was roughly the size of my arm.

12. TRT Silver badge

I was hoping for...

a baked egg inside a Yorkshire pudding, topped off with some sort of mayonnaise or hollandaise. Not the calorific, artery hardening, puke fest described.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Boo Cadbury's chocolate went crap after the yanks took it over.

1. BebopWeBop

Not that they were great to begin with IMHO - notionally appealing but in practice just too sweet. In true 'concerned and outraged' about Cadbury's behaviour and the blatant lying to a parliamentary committee I seem to remember (why oh why was she not hauled back and jailed for contempt?) I have boycotted their offerings ever since, although I am given to understand that the chocolate has gone downhill as they attempt to duplicate American sweetened wall paste.

When I lived in the US and made frequent trips back to Europe, I earned much goodwill by bringing back decent chocolate for friends and family.

1. jake Silver badge
        Pint

Talk about "Fake News".

There is plenty of good chocolate available in the US. Guittard, for example, makes better chocolate than anything I ever sampled on the east side of the pond. Scharffen Berger did, before the Hershey buyout, and although quality has slipped (IMO) it's still a damn fine product. Even the relatively inexpensive Ghirardelli is far better than anything Cadbury ever sold.

Anybody who claims us Yanks can't make chocolate has clearly never actually sampled it. Next you'll be saying that we can't make wine or beer ... but don't bother, you'll just be showing your ignorance.

14. AndrueC Silver badge
    Joke

Is it expensive or will it be going cheep?

1. BebopWeBop

No doubt they consider being the first a feather in their cap - if they can get people to shell out.

15. John70

That's bobbins that is....

16. Stevie

Bah!

After reading this article I am moved to ask “why?”.

“Why aren’t they deep frying the whole thing?”

17. Huw D

It's like this, mi ducks...

Wouldn't buy me snap from that 'ole.

Especially as there's a Michelin starred place (Sat Bains) less than a mile away from it.

18. deshepherd

I'm sure Cadbury's will be after them for patent infringement ... after all, they have prior art for surrounding the contents of a creme egg with a material that isn't Dairy Milk chocolate.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a third suggested we called the pub to "find out what they'd been drinking".

Making assumptions about what goes on in pubs, are we?

20. thomas k
    Thumb Up

"half pud, half pizza"

Great title for one of those movies involving pizza delivery.

21. Borg.King

Chicken creme egg kiev

Stuff the fondant in the middle of the chicken, and then dip it into a big saucepan of molten chocolate.

Bonus points for putting a long lollipop like stick in it.

22. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    WTF?

An Obscenity

And that's from someone dahn sowf

23. Solviva

I'll see your Yorkshire pud and raise you a black pud from the world famous Bury Market.

24. jake Silver badge

Further proof.

The British Isles ... where good ingredients go to die.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I feel quite qualified after reading the comments

My family comes from both South Devon Devon and North Yorkshire...

It sounds quite disgusting. Just stick to deep frying them in batter like they do in Glasgow, and more importantly, leave them in Glasgow..

26. Brangdon

Chocolate scotch eggs

I only discovered chocolate scotch eggs were a thing when my local tea shop started advertising them.

27. ShadowDragon8685

Good lord, sitting here in New Jersey, where I was born and raised, I think you've all gone mental!

It's undoubtedly an abomination of calories and sugar that sounds, in the words of The Cat (as spoken by Danny John Jules,) "about as healthy as jumping off a cliff!" but pitchforks and torches is an overreaction lads.

Now, the brouhaha over who's from what part of the country, that's entirely in good form, keep that up.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon