back to article Konichiw-aaaaargh! Amazon's Japanese HQ raided in antitrust probe

Amazon has had its Japanese headquarters raided by police as the web giant finds itself the focus of an antitrust probe. According to multiple media reports out of the country, Japan's fair trade commission carried out the raid earlier this week to gather evidence in its ongoing probe of the internet retail giant. "We are …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Devil

Alibaba needs equal scrutiny

just sayin' [amazon isn't the only outfit in town]

It's hard to be a monopoly when there's obvious competition. [this assumes that no unfair business practices are going on, and I suspect that there aren't any of significance]

1. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Alibaba needs equal scrutiny

Yes indeed like all companies.

I find it interesting to compare say Amazon and Alibaba, and I will add IKEA to this. All started from scratch by, in a way, fairly similar characters as one man companies.

On IKEA and Ingvar Kamprad we find this;

"He started selling matches at the age of five. When he was seven he began travelling further afield on his bicycle to sell to neighbours. He found he could buy matches in bulk very cheaply from Stockholm".

On Amazon and Jeff Bezos we find this;

"He founded Amazon in late 1994 on a cross-country road trip from New York City to Seattle. The company began as an Internet merchant of books and expanded to a wide variety of products and services, most recently video and audio streaming. It is currently the world's largest Internet sales online company",

And then there is Jack Ma of Alibaba:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Ma

"He began studying English at a young age by conversing with English-speakers at Hangzhou international hotel. He would ride 70 miles on his bicycle to give tourists tours of the area to practice his English for nine years."...

"Jack Ma applied for 30 different jobs and got rejected by all. "I went for a job with the police; they said, 'you're no good,'" Ma told interviewer Charlie Rose. "I even went to KFC when it came to my city. Twenty-four people went for the job. Twenty-three were accepted. I was the only guy...".[12] In addition he applied 10 times for Harvard Business School(hbs) and got rejected.".

Alibaba is not a copy of Amazon they do differ.

1. Lars Silver badge

Reading my own comment I wonder if I should add I find Jack Ma a very interesting person, and I don't want the "and then there is" to be miss understood. Also my comment about Alibaba not being a copy of Amazon need you to know more about both.

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
        Joke

@Lars

I find it interesting to compare say Amazon and Alibaba, and I will add IKEA to this. All started from scratch by, in a way, fairly similar characters as one man companies.

Of the 3, Bezos is the most suitable candidate to be a Bond Villain...

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2068303/jeff-bezos-super-ceo-or-supervillain-.html

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

pedant time...

Ko n ni chi ha - こんにちは

konnichiwa

1. Teiwaz
      Coat

Ko n ni chi ha - こんにちは

Most of us were thinking it anyway....

Amazon raided??? Konnichi-Ha!!

Sorry, mines the fur lined parka...

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Ko n ni chi ha - こんにちは

The answer is always Uakarima-sen.

This includes any questions about taxes.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Ko n ni chi ha - こんにちは

Don't worry. They will be staring at you confused and say, Uakarima-sen? Wakarimasen lol.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like