back to article Toyota to flog 10,000 aaS wagons to Avis Budget rentals

Toyota is to flog around 10,000 connected cars to vehicle hire biz Avis over the next three years. "Toyota's mobility services platform will provide Avis Budget Group with enhanced connectivity and visibility into their fleet, and bring travellers increased control and convenience over their rental experience," Zack Hicks, …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Big Brother

Hello Mr Corfield!

"We see that you are exceeding the speed limit in I-95. That will be another $20 per hour excess. We have already billed your credit card for an additional $1,250 to cover your increased rental charge. Have a nice day!"

BB is watching!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hello Mr Corfield!

"We see that you have complied with the speed limit in I-95. That will be another $20 per hour credit. We have already credited your card $1,250 to cover your reduced rental charge. Have a nice day!"

BB is watching!

Insurance companies give no claims credit, why not rental companies?

1. David 132 Silver badge
        Facepalm

Insurance companies give no claims credit, why not rental companies?

Oh sweet, precious child. Treasure your innocence.

1. Chronos

Oh sweet, precious child. Treasure your innocence.

In-bleedin'-deed. Not so long ago I obtained another car while still insured. Apparently, your no-claims can't transfer while you have a policy in force, I couldn't transfer that policy because Mrs Chronos was still on the old motor and policy so I had to start from scratch on the new jalopy. My premiums actually went down. 65%? Of what, the respect for our intelligence?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

'Oh sweet, precious child. Treasure your innocence'

As condescending and amusing as this comment is, it doesn't address the issue.

Companies discount or load their services costs based on multiple criteria and the market. Fact.

2. veti Silver badge

If I rent a car from Avis, I have no objection to them observing what I do with it. They have a legitimate interest in that. Fine with me.

If the whole experience is substantially more intrusive or expensive than I bargained for, then I'll patronise some other car rental service instead. Avis doesn't have a monopoly. (And it's hard to see how overcharging or mistreating their customers will help them to acquire one.)

What's the problem?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"What's the problem?"

All the other rental companies realise Avis are coining it in by selling on all that data and so they copy the model in 3...2...1....

1. veti Silver badge

@John Brown: And when every car rental company is abusing and gouging its customers...

... then I'll start my own car rental company, in which I'll use the data to protect myself from losses by charging drivers correctly, rather than random gouging.

If you want to abuse an incumbent position, you need high barriers to entry. Those don't exist in the car rental business. If you think you can do better than Avis? - Go nuts. Start now. There's literally nothing to stop you.

2. Herby

If you don't know who the sucker is...

...It is probably you.

This applies in Poker as well as online stuff. One must be very aware.

Note to self: Don't use the self service checkouts unless you get a discount.

3. Kev99 Silver badge

Hope your information is in Cyrillic so the Russian mob won't have to work as hard.

4. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Riding someone else's aaS gives them several opportunities to make money out of you.

Whilst shafting you as well by slurping your preciouses data?

5. TrumpSlurp the Troll
    Thumb Up

Riding someone else's aaS

Kudos for the phrase. :-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon