back to article Tutanota blames Comcast block for March 1 outage

The creator and co-founder of Tutanota is blaming Comcast after his encrypted mail service was briefly taken offline earlier this month. Mathias Pfau claims his secure email service was mysteriously unavailable to Comcast customers for around 18 hours over a period spanning from the evening of March 1 until late in the the …

1. b0llchit Silver badge
    Facepalm

Best alternative?

Time to dig and put our own cables in the ground.

2. Donn Bly

Crisis?

Sounds like someone has taken the "never let a crisis go to waste" page from modern politics and applied it to their own marketing strategy.

While it was probably just your standard routing issue, it is more likely that they took themselves offline than Comcast "blocking" them.

To give himself some credibility he could have at least posted a traceroute running from each direction to show where the traffic was failing.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Crisis?

"While it was probably just your standard routing issue"

ack. I think so to. Comcast looks bad because it took them WAY too long to fix it. So, rather than a sinister "we will, we will, BLOCK YOU" motive, it's just bureaucracy and poor performance on their part.

but it's hard to take THAT explanation into the realms of black helicopters and evil corporations...

3. teknopaul

Suspicios tho int it?

Should be asking if there were any Comcast customers who were _not_ blocked during the same period. :)

I'd change ssl keys just to be on the safe side.

4. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Holmes

Garbage ISP routers

I have yet to see an ISP router that works correctly. ICMP packets are dropped so MTU discovery and some IPv6 features don't work. Comcast routers don't pass fragmented packets either. If Tutanota turned on jumbo frames, every Comcast customer using "automatic MTU" would vanish.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Comcast uses computerized blockage of Legitimate international e-mail sent to the U.S.

For over four YEARS I have been reporting Comcast's illegal blockage of legitimate international e-mail sent to U.S. customers. I have informed the FTC, FCC and The Register amongst others of this illegal e-mail blockage. When authorities sent the complaint to Comcast, Comcast's own senior technical personnel admitted in a phone conversation to this (secret), illegal computerized global e-mail blocking system. When Comcast management responded to the state Attorney General's inquiry on the compliant - Comcast outright lied to authorities and claimed no such system existed even after their senior technical staff confirmed to management that the illegal system DID exist and was blocking legitimate international e-mail.

I produced the e-mail notices that Comcast's system sends to those persons sending e-mail to the U.S. when Comcast's system blocks the legitimate e-mail. I am not the only one who has the evidence on Comcast's illegal e-mail blockage of legitimate international e-mail. The fact is even journalists who have confirmed this illegal activity firsthand are afraid to go to the Federal Trade Com. or Federal Communication Com. or report this crime publicly due to Comcast's power to damage their careers as has been documented in the past.

So the cowards and complicit FTC / FCC know that Comcast has had this illegal e-mail blockage system in place for over four years and nothing has been done because Comcast can buy all of the justice they desire in the U.S. Perhaps the Trump administration will impose real fines on Comcast in the billions and make them dismantle their illegal blockage? For the record Comcast blocks legitimate e-mail from some of the largest Euro ISPs as well as similar in Asia and Australia. These ISP networks are scanned daily by Cisco, Spam Cops and others and given a clean bill of health as the ISPs do not allow Spammers to send out large quantities of Spam - which is the ruse Comcast is using to justify their illegal international e-mail blocking scam. The Euro ISPs have even sent legal notice and independent proof of their networks NOT generating the Spam that Comcast alleges they are blocking. Comcast's blockage is illegal and unscrupulous yet journalists in the industry just look the other way even when presented with irrefutable evidence of Comcast's crimes.

1. HieronymusBloggs

Re: Comcast uses computerized blockage of Legitimate international e-mail sent to the U.S.

"For over four YEARS I have been reporting Comcast's illegal blockage of legitimate international e-mail sent to U.S. customers."

Your post contains some interesting assertions, but the ranting tone and lack of links to supporting evidence undermine any serious points you're trying to put across. Calm down and try again?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Comcast uses computerized blockage of Legitimate international e-mail sent to the U.S.

If you had any understanding of the subject and info. that I posted you'd already know I was stating facts about a serious matter that has yet to be resolved. Calling my post a rant illustrates your complete lack of understanding to the effort invested to correct this injustice.

6. SiFly

Secondary ISP

best plan is to have a secondary ISP such that you know if they *both* go down at the same time something fishy is going on

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OMG they are hacking US! They are blocking us!

Or they just fucked up their DNS.

8. Blockchain commentard

Huh?

ISP's control the internet.

Then

Monopolies will control the internet.

Which is it Mr.Paranoid and why no mention of the government who are watching your move (online and offline)?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like