back to article Nokia transceiver bakes years of demos into superfast optical chip

Two years after it first demonstrated its highest-capacity modulation scheme, Nokia has announced its release as a product. The company will show off its PSE-3 (photonic service engine) in San Diego next week, at the OFC Conference. Nokia claimed even over long-haul submarine cable systems, 200 Gbps (per wavelength) can be …

1. Ole Juul

Shannon limit?

My problem here is the ISP marketing limit.

1. tip pc Silver badge

Re: Shannon limit?

@Ole

Why?

Do you purchase multi 100gb site to site links for your business or are you moaning about domestic isp marketing of connections to your home of which this article has little bearing?

1. Ole Juul

Re: Shannon limit?

I look with awe at the big numbers, and bemoan the fact that very little of that will trickle down to me. I take it humour is not your forte. :)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeh great...

Now Virginmedia will boost my speed and charge me more without me asking for either, again.

3. Pen-y-gors

Bear of little brain

I really have no idea what they're on about, but it sounds like pretty ace boffinry.

I think it means that whenever I'm connecting to a server in distant parts of the planet, provided the people who own the big interweby pipelines-under-the-ocean (PLUTO (c) Winston Churchill?) cough up for an upgrade, then I should get a faster connection with lower latency. Possibly.

1. tip pc Silver badge

Re: Bear of little brain

your faster connection will depend on your direct connection to your isp, their contention, their peering agreements to pass your traffic to the remote side of teh world, the remote operators isp's agreements, contention etc, the speed the remote operator is connected at, how they've configured their infrastructure and then how busy they are. Faster connections in between will help but its not the whole story and won't make your 40mbs fttc line any faster.

it just adds more capacity using existing infrastructure, no need to lay additional cables to get more bandwidth between point a and point b.

1. Christian Berger

"it just adds more capacity using existing infrastructure, no need to lay additional cables to get more bandwidth between point a and point b."

Well we actually are far away from full utilisation of the currently used fibres. Many fibres only run one wavelength. However this will essentially trickle down as slower ports become cheaper and cheaper.

What's fascinating is that we are still essentially at the same level of 9600bps modems, although with light it's obviously much harder to reach that level of sophistication. There is still quite a lot of headroom for optical systems.

2. sparrow_hawks

Thanks, I might be wrong but it could mean a user sees a bit of an upgrade in traffic speed. For example the increase in bandwidth will reduce cost for ISPs which in turn increase available bandwidth (assuming spending stays constant) across the pond which in turn means that I am more likely to get allocated a bigger chunk of the pie when for example streaming my american netflix ?

4. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Impressive

A 2 year turnaround is pretty damn good!

5. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Cinderblock shacks selling for $1.6 million

Can we use this for telecommuting yet? Silicon Valley is proving that cramming all of the world's tech jobs into a single point isn't really a good idea. Step one is giving towns easier access to enormous low-latency bandwidth. Step two is improving videoconferencing software. Step three will involve changing day-to-day routines so that there's a balance between disruptions and isolation in the new way of working. It's hard, but not so bad compared to continuously increasing the population density.

6. DCFusor

Wow

Old DSP guy here. One of those rare reports that has information, and from someone who knows their stuff. Yay!

Digging signals out of noise with low error rates was my first really good job...

7. Robert D Bank

I can see some real benefit here for disaster recovery sites and intra/inter-datacentre performance when it becomes available. It might become feasible to have a geographically split datacentre in an active-active configuration that could save a lot of money

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like