back to article HPE to cut technician jobs as field work outsourced to Unisys

HPE has confirmed plans to outsource its field support business to Unisys. The company on Tuesday told The Register that HPE will hand over services - including installations and maintenance - to Unisys, in response to reports of the shift in strategy. "HPE has entered into a strategic relationship with Unisys to provide …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IBM has been doing exactly this for years. The Unisys engineers are paid a lot less than IBM (and presumably HPE) engineers, and are usually far better at the job too, because they don't have the toxic IBM/HPE work/management environment to work with.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

sad

if you think Unisys will do anywhere as good as the hp engineers then you are a just stupid. I have dealt with Unisys for years and those used in the outsource space are HORRIBLE.

1. JimmyMac

Re: sad

I'm not sure what experience you've had with Unisys but here in Boston we work with Unisys engineers very frequently and they are excellent.

2. Notas Badoff

Three-legged stool, and then more chopping?

Can we start a meme of theorising how many legs these companies are sitting on? It seems several start out with five or six legs under their stools, then get into a habit of whittling away and then chopping legs out from under themselves. Then they are surprised when dropping that unneeded third leg and they fall over.

How many legs for IBM? How many for HPE?

1. ToddRundgrensUtopia

Re: Three-legged stool, and then more chopping?

3 legs still, but no balls

3. Denarius

out of curiosity

or morbid interest, when are the PHBs in HPx and IBM going to outsource their board and executives to some cheaper workforce ? Think of the money saved by low cost CEOs and impecunious boards that walk or cycle to work. Oh, sorry, forgot my medication....

1. Fat_Tony
      Pirate

Re: out of curiosity

The board will be "right sized" immediately after HR are.

It's amazing how rarely HR are affected by redundancies

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"It's amazing how rarely HR are affected by redundancies"

One place I worked at was "downsizing" which meant they had to hire extra HR staff to cope with the workload. Strangely, they weren't hired on fixed length or temp contracts and the HR dept. never did downsize after the hatchet jobs were finished. The only department in the entire company to grow year on year despite the other cutbacks. I wonder why the bean counters never seem to see HR as a cost centre ripe for cuts?

1. paulf
          Terminator

@ John Brown (no body) "I wonder why the bean counters never seem to see HR as a cost centre ripe for cuts?"

Simply because there's a kind of MAD that exists between the bean counters and the HR droids. The BCs know where the money is and control who gets what; while HR know all the dirt on everyone and where the bodies are buried. Thus one lot gets their unchecked expanding empire plus juicy bonuses for reducing the empires (and costs) of others; while the other lot are confident the finer, more questionable aspects of their employee records never see the light of day so they aren't subject to closer inspection.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

So the outsourcers are outsourcing... madness...

One day HPE will find they’ve outsourced to themselves via some ridiculous circular arrangement with 15 other, equally hopeless, organisations. I can’t understand why anyone uses these idiots.

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Re: So the outsourcers are outsourcing... madness...

www.kamcityblog.com/2013/10/circular-outsourcing.html

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Fantastic!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Disintermediated variant of "circular outsourcing" link (straight to the relevant diblert archive item, rather than going via some random intermediary layer that adds a 30% markup/needs the pageviews, you choose)

http://dilbert.com/strip/2003-08-03

Fifteen years ago.

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Nice to know for next time some HPE marketer tries to phone me

I'll just answer : "No thanks, I have no intention of working with Unisys".

6. decoy_underpants

Fantastic. If you're one of those HPE engineers, Rubrik needs top talent all over the world in the field.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing but praise for the Unisys engineers, well in EMEA that is. Never good jobs being cut though.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Forcing people out with FUD

No one has yet received official termination of employment notification from HR and yet they already started threatening employee that they won't be eligible to severance package if they don't comply.

Unisys is telling affected employee to log on their website and fill an intention of employment form.

People might be contacted if they are considered and if opening if created.

It has already been made clear that people won't be offered similar compensation.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like