back to article Apple's new 'spaceship' HQ brings the pane for unobservant workers

Apple's $5bn Norman Foster-designed "spaceship" HQ isn't finished yet, but it's already taking out puny humans. Three calls reporting 911 medical emergencies were made about building-battered employees. The San Francisco Chronicle put in a FoI request to Santa Clara County and obtained the chilling details. One employee was …

1. Alister

Well it's obvious

Apple employees don't know how to use Windows.

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

Re: Well it's obvious

That's unfair. Apple took their WIMPs from Palo Alto long before Microsoft picked up the idea and ran with it. Mind you, at least MS didn't run into any doors along the way.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>Mind you, at least MS didn't run into any doors along the way.

But they did have some problems with a trashcan..

2. Chemical Bob
        Devil

Re: MS didn't run into any doors

Tell All The People

on the

Ship Of Fools

that

Strange Days

are ahead because

People Are Strange

2. Spacedinvader
      Joke

They're walking into it wrong...

3. My-Handle

I almost think that this whole article was a set-up just for that joke

1. Alister

And I took full advantage! :)

Can't believe the article didn't include some such comment.

4. Roland6 Silver badge

Well, they could be simply treating the building like a modern UI/UX. Remember many modern UI conventions are to have totally flat interfaces with no real indication of what is a clickable icon/link etc. - the designers assume (and expect) users will simply click/touch everywhere until something happens - I think they call it "exploring" or "discovery", because having clearly defined buttons and menus that were readily understandable was so yesterday....

2. Pen-y-gors

What about the manifestations?

In backward countries like UKland the nanny-state requires that glass which can be walked into includes 'manifestations' - not ghosts, just those semi-transparent stickers/logos etc that are there to stop people walking in to them. What a primitive idea!

1. Killfalcon Silver badge

Re: What about the manifestations?

I was really confused one day to see a sign on a new glass fronting saying "GLASS AWAITING MANIFESTATION". Was elvis coming back? Is this some new, presently immaterial glass?

No, they were waiting for a professional to come by with some masking tape to do some frosting stripes. Very disappointing.

2. Tom 7

People did try sticking post it notes and so on - they were removed by the management for 'detracting from the building design'. So much like their products appearance is more important than function.

I'm glad I dont work there - I'd be unconscious before first coffee break.

1. Eddy Ito

I think I understand why Apple started their wellness program for employees. Maybe they could have a doctor stand in front of the glass to warn people about to walk into it.

2. Uberior

Blend some egg and smear it on.

It can be a pest to remove from glass once dried.

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

Blend some egg and smear it on.

It can be a pest to remove from glass once dried.

You just need to use a razor blade scraper which sadly my dishwasher doesn't have. That doesn't work on internal curved surfaces either which is a pain for bowls.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

"That doesn't work on internal curved surfaces either which is a pain for bowls."

I really thought you'd said 'bowels' there for a moment.

I nearly did type that! I was thinking of Mr Burns in the Simpsons talking about his boweling at the time.

http://thesimpsounds.tripod.com/sounds/burns-bowling.wav

2. Roland6 Silver badge

>Blend some egg and smear it on.

Its amazing what you can do with a diamond ring...

3. AndyS

I stayed in a hotel in Italy on a school trip when I was about 13. The hotel had lovely glass doors overlooking the coastal views. There were very clear manifestations (great word, by the way) on the glass, but they were still walked into semi regularly, including by some in our group.

Told my parents about it when I got home, and my dad, to his astonishment, realised it was the exact hotel where he had run, full speed, into the exact glass door when on a family holiday as a child, probably in the late 50s.

Different manifestations, same defenestration.

4. JimboSmith Silver badge

I do hope these glass walls aren't going to cause problems for the notorious secrecy of Apple.

I worked somewhere once where the internal walls were mostly glass and they did indeed have "manifestations" on them. However this glass caused problems at a meeting I went to with an external firm in one of our meeting rooms. The bloke turned up and when we reached the meeting room he protested that what he was going to show us was top secret. It was their new proprietary flagship product and it was certainly not something he was happy to show in a glass walled room. There was one not so nice meeting room free where the only window was a small one in the door but the aircon didn't work properly. He agreed to this one and we sat there getting warmer by the minute as his laptop firstly needed power because the battery was dead. Then he couldn't connect to the wifi which was eventually sorted out. The allotted duration of the meeting passed and we were seeming no closer to seeing his presentation. So I made my excuses saying I had to leave for another meeting and got up and left. I don't remember what the product or even the firm was but I can still see the look of disgust on his face when he saw a glass walled room.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Black Helicopters

@JimboSmith

it was certainly not something he was happy to show in a glass walled room

For $5 billion no doubt Apple has the super expensive type of glass with liquid crystals embedded that can darken to opaque at the touch of a button for meeting rooms and executive offices where sensitive things will be exhibited, and piezoelectric vibrators on the external glass to shield from laser audio spying by drones outside the properly line.

5. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"In backward countries like UKland the nanny-state requires that glass which can be walked into includes 'manifestations'"

The UK also seems to be the only place in the world where one of a pair of double doors is always locked, whether that be a building entrance or just internal doors. Why bother putting double doors in if you're not going to use them? And just to cap it off, not all doors have an indication that it's push or pull only so when you push and nothing happens, you pull, only to find still nothing happens. It's madness I tells ya, madness!

1. Tim Seventh
        Trollface

And just to cap it off, not all doors have an indication that it's push or pull only so when you push and nothing happens, you pull, only to find still nothing happens. It's madness I tells ya, madness!

A moment later, another guy slided open it. see icon ->

2. onefang

"And just to cap it off, not all doors have an indication that it's push or pull only so when you push and nothing happens, you pull, only to find still nothing happens. It's madness I tells ya, madness!"

Reminds me of an ancient ditty from my high school days. "The sign says push to slow the speed, of those that pull before they read." Though perhaps it was the other way around, high school was a very long time ago.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That twerp who ran into a window...

BONGGGGGGG!

I'll bet the birds outside were laughing: "Hahahahahahaha! See, they do it too! Proves their big brains aren't so clever. Now let's see that idiot try and fly away before a cat gets him"

1. Alister

Re: That twerp who ran into a window...

Most of the birds which try to achieve take-off through my office window are wood pigeons, with the odd pheasant on occasion. Given their renowned intellectual prowess, I think the most you might expect as a response is... duh!

1. Aladdin Sane

I do hope you helped the pheasant inside and introduced it to bread sauce.

1. BebopWeBop

Each to their own - my partner prefers cranberry sauce (I indulge in neither bu she does get me to do the 'prep'). We have two killer cats who bring in 6-7 of the birds a year (the noise of one of them trying to drag the carcass through the cat flap is worrying). Remarkable there is very little damage to the bird, I assume (no post mortem) that they have strangled the animal - in the same way some other large cats do by compressing the neck.

1. Aladdin Sane

two killer cats

Obligatory The Oatmeal link.

2. The Nazz

Try saying this accurately, on repeat :

I'm not a pheasant plucker

I'm a pheasant plucker's son

I'm only plucking pheasants

Till the pheasant plucker comes.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
            Thumb Up

Finding a dead seagull (Best kind) on the ground was mildly amusing on arrival at work one day at Somerset County Council, what was more amusing was it's greasy impression of the S.H.E.I.L.D. logo on the glass pane that it flew into.

It's probably still there even after 10 years - The imprint on the glass, not the dead bird which took facilities a few days to get around to removing it.

https://seeklogo.com/images/S/s-h-i-e-l-d-logo-F89847BD30-seeklogo.com.png

4. Sureo

Especially deadly...

...for those individuals walking around looking at their iToys instead of where they're going.

1. Frank Bitterlich
      Boffin

Re: Especially deadly...

That's why ARKit was invented. Just hold up your iGadget and ARKit will augment the glass doors with virtual manifestations. Problem solved.

5. chuBb.

i expect style guidelines (trumping health and saftey obviously [they used comic sans in places]) prohibit use of post it notes to indicate glass...

still at least u can guarantee defenestration when fired

1. Admiral Grace Hopper
      Facepalm

Post-It (tm)

A news report said that employees were using Post-it (tm) notes as boundary markers but the architecture police were removing them.

1. Rich 11

Re: Post-It (tm)

Do the architecture police deconstruct cases along classical lines and detain suspects in rusticated retention zones?

6. frank ly

Just wondering

Is this very expensive glass that is super-smooth and very transparent and always very clean? I ask because I seem to have no difficulty seeing and recognising glass when I encounter it.

1. Professor Clifton Shallot

Re: Just wondering

> I ... have no difficulty seeing and recognising glass when I encounter it.

How would you know? You might just be lucky.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Clean glass under some light condition can become rather "invisible". And if you expect an automatic glass door when there's only a glass wall, it can be a problem also.

3. Roland6 Silver badge

>Is this very expensive glass that is super-smooth and very transparent and always very clean?

No just new glass.

Give it a few years and the glass will warp.

Asdie: in the 1980's there was a new glass-faced building on the Euston road in London, much loved by photographers because of the mirror-like reflections across multiple panes of glass, I was passing a few years back and now the glass has warped the reflections don't impress.

7. jms222

Solutions

a) never clean them

b) draw giant cocks on them

1. Korev Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Solutions

How would drawing a chicken help?

1. Rich 11

It's good practice for ducks.

1. BebopWeBop

Ducking won't work if they reach down to the floor.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You draw a chicken with a giant cock.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

c) put super strength glue on the glass, you won't get any complaints then.

Go

Just get a seagull on a suicide run to leave it's mark on the window (See earlier comment).

8. The Alphabet

Could Siri be to blame for this? She does have a mean streak....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Could Siri be to blame for this? She does have a mean streak...."

No.. if there were a mean streak people would be able to see the glass!

(I'll get me coat)

9. macjules

The Resurrection is under way

The casualty toll is set to increase once the building achieves sentience

Think Pet Sematary .. big building no doubt built upon an ancient burial ground with the corpse of Steve Jobs in the middle. The next stage is for blood to be spilled and channelled to the grave.

1. paulf
      Gimp

Re: The Resurrection is under way

"The casualty toll is set to increase once the building achieves sentience, and targets employees who have under-performed in their review."

I wonder if the building will achieve sentience before Apple Manglement? Perhaps the building can target the bean counter(s) that decided against increasing the Software Q&A budget first?

1. ma1010
        Paris Hilton

I wonder if the building will achieve sentience before Apple Manglement?

I would expect just about all buildings to achieve sentience before manglement manages that evolutionary step. Sentient buildings, heat death of the universe, all happening before that.

Paris, because she's a natural for manglement.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

I wonder if the building will achieve sentience before Apple Manglement?

There is a weird Michael Chrichton type sci-fi thriller about an AI building management system that starts killing people - odd that it's by Philip Kerr who mostly does Nazi era Germany detective-noir

(Unless there are two Philip Kerrs and I'm being an idiot)

1. Vinyl-Junkie
            Alien

"an AI building management system that starts killing people"

There's certainly an X-Files episode with that premise S1 Ep 7

10. A K Stiles

surely every pane of glass will shortly have a giant frosted Apple logo on it, or will it need to be some sort of clever thing where the asymmetry in the chomp and leaf look correct whichever side of the window you are?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

One day, about a month later than you'd have thought, huge lorries loaded with glass panes will arrive. Employees will be told to leave the building and stand around outside. A large tasteful off-white tarpaulin will then be raised to cover the building, then every single glass pane in the building will be replaced with a new glass pane which looks exactly the same as the old glass pane except for the addition of a fancy Apple logo. As this process takes a while, the employees will start to wonder if something has gone wrong, but they will then hear a bong sound and the tasteful off-white tarpaulin will then be lowered and taken away and the employees they will re-enter the building. Apple will never talk about what work was carried out and any questions about the new glass panes will be met with silence.

Suggestions that their software update team were in placed charge of this process is just a vicious rumour.

2. macjules

Good idea. Put a Windows logo on every pane of glass - that will stop them walking into it.

3. PNGuinn
      Trollface

Logoes here ...

"surely every pane of glass will shortly have a giant frosted Apple logo on it, or will it need to be some sort of clever thing where the asymmetry in the chomp and leaf look correct whichever side of the window you are?"

Who cares as long as it's low enough for the large competitor's logo standing next to it to pi** all over ...

... I wonder if the big G will ever get allowed to do a street view in there?

11. Ralph the Wonder Llama
    Joke

The building is fine...

...they're using it wrongly.

12. Blockchain commentard

Don't know about you lot but I could do with whatever window cleaner they use.

1. Rich 11

Josh? He's free on Thursday afternoons. Good rates.

13. chivo243 Silver badge
    Devil

Been there done that

The office I work in has 3 glass walls, one is between a meeting room and our office, the first week in the new office, I threw myself against the latter like Christopher Pike in the Menagerie

Re: Been there done that

A few years ago I visited a showroom that was still being fitted out before opening. The windows all had protective coverings on to prevent damage and stop nosy onlookers. So whilst I'm there one of the shopfitting crew walks into a glass door and bangs head. This is a door that has not had any permanent manifestation applied yet (or door handles for that matter) and the tape that was there had fallen off. Therefore this door is a threat to society! The 'gravely injured' man says to the foreman that he's going to get some more tape and (jokingly) then phone his lawyer. Foreman says please don't sue us (again jokingly) and then turns round and walks into one of the plate glass windows where the covering has just fallen off. Big difference was the foreman was wearing his hard hat as per regulations the other bloke wasn't.

2. Rich 11

I threw myself against the latter like Christopher Pike in the Menagerie

Did you end up in a wheelchair?

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

> Did you end up in a wheelchair?

BEEEEEEEEP.

Alien

Pike was crippled as the result of saving cadets on a ship during a training exercise.

1. onefang

Think it was back in the '80s I was working in a place where the front office had all the office walls replaced with glass, and glass doors. One poor guy managed to bang his head rather harshly on a closed door he thought was open. Half hour later someone noticed he hadn't been seen for a while, so they sent me out on my motorbike to cruise the streets looking for him. He was still dazed and confused when I found him.

14. disgruntled yank

OK

So now if Apple ever tells us that it's "committed to transparency", we'll know what that means.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When are they installing the dome and setting up a hipster utopia?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

When are they installing the dome and setting up a hipster utopia?

When they do, seal it up until the oxygen is exhausted.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"When they do, seal it up until the oxygen is exhausted."

They generate their own via the marketing department. It's called the oxygen of publicity. <Boom tish>

1. lglethal Silver badge
          Trollface

"They generate their own via the marketing department."

I thought that was just a load of hot air...

2. Rich 11

Carousel!

16. Xenobyte
    Happy

Glass maze

Uo until about a decade ago the very old danish amusement park "Dyrehavsbakken" had glass maze named "Vinduet" (The Window). One side facing the street was entirely glass and all interior walls in the maze was glass. It was a lot of fun just watching from the outside when people walked into a glass wall, turned and walked into another while trying to backtrack their steps. You could win prices if you got through faster than a certain time, thus increasing the chance of hitting the glass walls even harder...

17. Eddy Ito

With so much glass the solar gain must be impressive. I'll bet the AC runs non-stop.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

You can get IR-blocking glass. Lots of modern buildings have it - because the architects do just love glass.

Heaven forfend you should be able to actually read your screen when the sun's out. Far better to have uninterrupted views of the cityscape!

Relatives were in a rather posh bar in Hong Kong. It had just been re-done by some funky designer. Low lighting of course, as any self-respecting penthouse bar should be.

Meaning that the hotel have to employ staff to guide you out of the lift, as you can't see what's going on when you first get there. And more staff because there's a diagonal step running the whole length of the floor, which can't be seen as the floor is shiny black on shiny black.

I'm presuming Disaster Area's ship-designer just keeps on winning commissions...

1. hopkinse
        Coat

disaster area...

They have moved into building design after Hotblack had a change of career into property letting....

https://www.sciencealert.com/vantablack-hyundai-pavilion-pyeongchang-winter-olympics-asif-khan

18. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

The start of Skynet?

19. IGnatius T Foobar
    FAIL

Apple FAIL

Hypocrites. Apple is one of those Silicon Valley companies that shouts and rants about the environment all the time, but instead of occupying *existing* unused space they build a giant headquarters out of new materials on new land. What was the environmental impact of this building?

1. Aladdin Sane
      1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Apple FAIL

Perhaps they could stop gluing up their iDevices and computers next.

2. Tigra 07

From what i hear - good for the environment, bad for the staff.

3. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Coat

Where did this new land come from, last time I looked the Earths surface had been pretty extensively mapped & photographed.

1. onefang
        Coat

"Where did this new land come from"

They probably dug it up somewhere.

20. jjhward

On-brand

Use some of those 'free' apple stickers you get with every new Mac. (they must have a few spare lying around!)

Problem solved...

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Replacement glass

You broke the totally unbreakable Gorrila Glass by touching it gently sir ?

Sorry, that will still be $800 plus labour to replace.

22. Wensleydale Cheese

"Readers will note how the building targets the head."

It's not just that, but when you get within half an inch of it, it comes out and butts you full thwack.

Keen observers will notice that this is a feature also demonstrated by shelf corners and the lifted tailgates of 5 door cars.

23. Mike 16

That Picture

Did you use a stock photo of GCHQ, or is that a screen-shot from "The Circle"?

(BTW: IIRC, the Apple HQ is (sort of) built on a Pet Sematary, as the land was formerly occupied by HP buildings. I would indeed be afraid it was haunted by the ghosts of engineers formerly proud of their work and company)

24. /dev/null

Finally...

Finally, a use for all those little Apple logo stickers they ship with every product....

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Crystal Palace

Once in a kingdom of ancient times, a prince of the realm decided to build himself a home of unrivaled beauty and light, so he built himself a palace of glass crystal. This, naturally, attracted the attention of the leading ladies of the land, who pursued him with enthusiasm for his wealth and taste. He had no difficulty in securing the hand of the most beautiful and they settled into his glass palace and lived happily -- albeit transparently -- for some years.

But then came a day when his wife grew restive. Having an avaricious spirit, she told her husband she wanted to see him on the throne of the kingdom. Desperate to satisfy her, he stole the throne of the king and spirited it away to his palace, where he secreted it in the very center of the house.

However, the king's minions came in search of the throne. Easily espying it in the center of the great house (remember, it was made of glass), they made short work of recovering it for the king, and the glass palace -- and the wife's ambitions -- lay in ruins.

The moral of the story is, of course ... (wait for it)

People who live in glass houses shouldn't stow thrones.

1. Chris G

Re: Crystal Palace

Reminds me of another old glassy joke; What's the last thing to go through a bug's mind when it hits a windscreen? It's arsehole!

Don't know how many decades old that is but at least 5, still makes me chuckle.

1. The Nazz

Well, if we're resurrecting old jokes, and thinking of the Dutch poster and theme park above , i'm reminded of this one.

A Dutch brothel, looking for a USP, and being ahead of the times, instigates a scheme where you make automated choices about the erm company you like to keep.

At the ground floor entrance you pay your 50 Guilders (no clue what that'd be worth back then) and are offered a choice :

a) blonde b) brunette c) ginger

After that you pass through a door and are again offered choice :

a) tall b) medium c) short

Another door another choice :

a) very curvy and busty b) average and firm bust c) slim and perky

Yet another door and another choice :

a) intelligent c--t b) average c--t c) daft c--t.

I chose c) and found myself out on the street again.

Can you imagine the complexity of choices you'd be faced with today at the first offering? incl.

v) prospective parliamentary candidate for Rochdale.

2. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Go

& occasionally seagulls in addition to the one in Somerset.

I have had one wood pigeon (It sort of bounced off on impact) & I've had two gulls fly into windscreens while I was driving (including one that had forgotten to de-ice it's wings).

Nearly added two copulating bald eagles to the tally a few years back.

https://raptorresource.blogspot.ca/2014/02/do-bald-eagles-mate-in-flight.html

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I assume they don't want to put any markings on the glass as that would ruin the clearn appearance of the design (much in the same way as if they added a notch to the top of each panel!)

27. TopHat

Clippy

Perhaps a friendly robotic paperclip could be attached to each pane? A gentle tapping on the glass would alert approaching employees to the hazard. It could then offer unwanted advice on the best way to open the door, or make random guesses at the intention of the door operator. This could catch on.

28. stephanh

post-its are for amateurs

Apple employees, get this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Armour-Etch-15-0200-Cream-10-Ounce/dp/B001BE3UM4

Then walk to your nearest window and start thinking different.

29. ecofeco Silver badge

Isn't there an app for that?

iGlass perhaps?

30. RobThBay

ICar tech to the rescue

Maybe staff need to wear helmets with proximity sensors. They could start testing their self-driving iCar tech by giving everyone a helmet and let them continue wandering around the building.

31. Orv Silver badge
    Coat

Hire fewer avian employees. Try bats instead.

32. Herby

Obvious solution...

Require all employees to wear (bicycle) helmets when near the building.

Me? I would have the helmet concession at the entrance. A 'third party opportunity".

33. meanioni

Easy resolution

Give a bunch of children aged under 5 some Wotsits and choccy rolls and let them loose on Apple's glass, it would not stay transparent very long :-)

34. TimeMaster T
    Alien

Is it just me?

Every time I see a picture of the new Apple HQ I keep expecting to see a big "Kawoosh" of a wormhole vortex come out of it.

This happening to anyone else?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is it just me?

No, I expect a writing in the language of Mordor appear around it... I guess they left a space for a black tower, in the middle, to be built when the time comes....

2. Pedigree-Pete
      Meh

Re: Is it just me?

@TimeMasterT. No, but now you brought it up the image won't go away. Thanks, I think..PP

35. Pedigree-Pete
    WTF?

Glass walled meeting rooms............

Most stupid idea I've come across. Especially if you expect to do audio in them. Glass can reflect light but it always does screw up audio.

Also doesn't make them very private as the OP posted. PP

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iSplat

Having had this happen a while back, it hurts quite a lot to walk at full speed into a previously-open sliding door.

It would make sense to put Apple logos at eye level on every single one of them.

How about laser or chemical etching?

Maybe they should call this phenomenon the "iDonk" ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like