back to article Microsoft, IBM settle case over disputed diversity boss

Microsoft and IBM have settled a lawsuit over the former hiring away the latter's chief diversity officer. The two sides on Monday told the New York Southern District court they have agreed to drop the case over Lindsay-Rae McIntyre, a former IBM chief diversity officer who left the company to take the same role at Microsoft …

1. a_yank_lurker

IBM and Strategy?

That is an oxymoron even if Slurp is not far behind.

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: IBM and Strategy?

I can't think of anyone less important to the future of either company than the chief diversity officer.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: IBM and Strategy?

@Youngone: "I can't think of anyone less important to the future of either company than the chief diversity officer.

They're both merely engaging in virtue signalling to the SJWarrior crowd. Some time back, didn't Microsoft replace a black dudes head with a Caucasian head for an advert to be shown in Japan?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mmmmm...

Marie Antoinette did say "Let them eat rolls."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IBM's diversity strategy is simply to ship as many jobs offshore as they can, and fill as many local ones with 457 visa workers, and sack as many older workers as they can.

Nothing secret or confidential about that!

4. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Trollface

Strategy vs "chief diversity officer"

I'd say that 'strategy' does not mean what they must think it means, if "strategy" means you hire a CHIEF! _DIVERSITY_! OFFICER! to mange your hiring policies and recruiting efforts.

Now, if they'd hired a "Chief Best Qualified Candidate Officer" or a "Chief Hire The Genius Officer" it would make a LOT more sense.

But that's _NOT_ what they did, now is it?

The purpopse of a corporation is to earn profit for its investors. "Diversity" is counterproductive to profit, because it focuses on "identity', and _NOT_ something that is "the best employee" nor "maximum value to the company". This means _LOWER_ profits, which is counterproductive and not in the company's best interest.

But hey, if a pair of BULLSHIT artists want to duke it out over BULLSHIT like "Chief Diversity Officer", let them. The rest of us can sit back and LAUGH! AT! THEIR! FOLLY!!!

1. Velv
      Holmes

Re: Strategy vs "chief diversity officer"

Ensuring that when you recruit you choose from the widest possible pool of candidates ensures you stand the best chance of recruiting the best candidate. Like it or not there has been a bias for a _long_ time, candidates with certain attributes not even getting an initial consideration, thus potentially denying a company quality employees.

5. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Are non-competes really legal?

I would have thought them a restraint of trade..

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Are non-competes really legal?

There's actually a sidebar discussing this.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Are non-competes really legal?

There's actually a sidebar discussing this.

Yes, though I was surprised it didn't suggest that the participants decided to settle for fear that a court would end up tossing the non-compete and setting precedent. I think most US corporations recognize that non-competes are largely effective only as FUD, to discourage employees from even trying to jump ship.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Chief Diversity Officer Lindsay-Rae McIntyre

"As CDO, McIntyre will implement and drive a multitude of existing cross-company initiatives to further Microsoft’s progress in building a diverse and inclusive culture"

What has any of this SJWarrior waffle got to do with writing code. I for one don't need a vendor of mediocre software product showing me how to behave in a social setting, I got it sorted already. Besides, it is not in the remit of a commercial entity to engage in such social engineering.

7. jelabarre59

B-Ark

I guess she's having to wait until July because that's when the B-Ark departs...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like