back to article Hey girl, move a little closer. 'Cause you're too gun shy. Hush, hush, bye says Pai

Ajit Pai, the boss of America's communications watchdog, the FCC, says he won't be picking the collectable rifle awarded to him by the NRA as a prize for killing net neutrality. Pai has informed both the NRA and the American Conservative Union, which hosted the CPAC conference where Pai was given the award, of his decision, …

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
    FAIL

CPAC

Corrupt Political Asses & Conmen

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      WTF?

Keep in mind, Pai *is* a lawyer and you'd think this migh thave been part of his induction

Y'know.

The "No bribes" rule.

1. James O'Shea

Re: Keep in mind, Pai *is* a lawyer and you'd think this migh thave been part of his induction

Feh. I am reminded of an old episode of Law & Order. Our Heroes are leaving the office after having been victorious in Defending the People from yet another set of vicious criminals, in this case involving two divorce lawyers. One of the divorce lawyers is going to do serious prison time, and the other will have his license suspended for quite a while. Adam Schiff asks: “Where did they get their ethics?” Claire Kincade replies “Law school.”

Historically there have been remarkably few lawyers with ethics... except for those who are paid to have ethics, such as the FCC ethics legal team. Examples abound, especially as most politicians are lawyers, and tend to have even less in the way of ethics than the average lawyer does.

2. You aint sin me, roit

Re: Keep in mind, Pai *is* a lawyer and you'd think this migh thave been part of his induction

Erm... this is Pai, in the pocket of US ISPs. It's not a bribe, it's "lobbying".

Also he didn't refuse the award, for "saving the internet", he just complained that the pesky ethics department wouldn't let him take the goodies. Tacitly acknowledging that he had no qualms about it himself.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Or he knew that the photo of him accepting the gun it would be on the front page after every future school shooting or everytime some politician blames the internet for gun violence.

This gives him a face-saving way of refusing the NRA 'gift' because he is too honest

2. fobobob

Deal

Perhaps we could strike a deal: keep the gun, exit from government service? Sound good?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Windows

Re: Deal

I'm for that. Guns and Government don't mix well.

While the US wallows in hysteria and hypocrisy (Hystocrisy?) about guns and newly activist kids looking bad on camera, meanwhile in Russia: Some kind of AK-74 school competition

1. Geoffrey W

"I'm for that. Guns and Government don't mix well."

Of course you are. Let me amend - Guns and Americans don't mix well.

What's your point about Russia? How much better they are than the USA? What's that the right always say? If you don't like it here, then you can go and...oh, you know the drill...damn, look at those kids pull that shooty thing apart...impressive...whatever happened to soviet intellectuals?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

So this is the Russian equivalent of the Cadet Corp or ROTC - not quite the same as being given an Ak-47 as a prize for finally graduating kindergarten

3. DanceMan
    FAIL

Pai has ethics?

Could have fooled me.

1. Mark 85

Re: Pai has ethics?

Yeah.. they're in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard.”

4. Teiwaz

Just as well

He'd only shoot himself in the foot or do some other damn silly thing with it.

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge

Re: Just as well

s/foot/head

He shoots himself in the foot constantly, sadly with no apparent ill effects.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

He'd only shoot himself in the foot or do some other damn silly thing with it.

You say that like shooting himself in the foot is a bad thing.

Many would view it as a good start, hopefully to be followed by his groin and skull.

5. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Joke

Translation

"I have also been advised by the FCC’s career ethics attorneys that I would not be able to accept the award upon my departure from government service," Pai said in his statement.

When I leave government service, you show your appreciation for all the favors I've performed by giving me a job with a fancy title, that does not mean I have to do much at all, but above all, one that comes with nice fat juicy pay check

6. Blake St. Claire

Morals. Ethics. His Testicles.

All locked up in a desk drawer.

What's more shocking, IMO, is that he had to be told – seemingly after the fact – he couldn't have the gun.

Fer Chrisakes I had to take an ethics course when I joined and retake it again every year at my company, and I know from that that I can't give, and gobmint employees can't accept gifts^h^h^h^h^h bribes. And I"m pretty sure those gobmint employees get some similar kind of indoctrination when they come on board. Did he sleep through it?

1. Mystic Megabyte
      Stop

Re: Morals. Ethics. His Testicles. @Blake

>>Did he sleep through it?

No, he was too busy counting brown envelopes.

2. Robert 22

Re: Morals. Ethics. His Testicles.

I remember being told that it would be wrong to accept a cup of Tim Horon's coffee from a contractor.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Morals. Ethics. His Testicles.

Fer Chrisakes I had to take an ethics course when I joined and retake it again every year at my company, and I know from that that I can't give, and gobmint employees can't accept gifts^h^h^h^h^h bribes. And I"m pretty sure those gobmint employees get some similar kind of indoctrination when they come on board. Did he sleep through it?

No, no, no. Just call giving them huge wodges of cash "campaign contributions" and shout a lot about the first amendment, and everything's A-ok.....

7. DrXym

Now we need an ISP to troll the NRA

Charge people $1 an hour to stream NRA TV or visit their doman. Why? Because no net neutrality is good right?

8. Nedron

Kudos for the Kajagoogoo reference. That is all.

9. Paul Wagenseil

OK, that headline is brilliant.

10. Paul Wagenseil

For the young 'uns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMgA5VkZ1SI

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

For the young 'uns

You mean it's not just us old gits and gals here?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like