back to article I'll bee back: Boffin's bionic bug Band-Aid after real ones all die

From the department of "just because we could, doesn't mean we should" comes news that researchers are planning swarms of robotic bees and spiders. Insisting that micro robots "really aren't anything to worry about", Dr Mostafa Nabawy, Microsystems Research Theme Leader at the University of Manchester and bionic-bug-botherer- …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Black Mirror

that's all.

1. Ye Gads

Re: Black Mirror

If they're starting to make robot bees then it's time to start being much nicer to people on social media

2. ibmalone

Didn't Isaac Asimov already cover this?

1. Ivan Vorpatril

Kage Baker wrote the Empress of Mars. It had robot pollinators called "bi"s. It appeared in Asimov's Science Fiction in 2003.

3. Notas Badoff

So we're talking...

humba's to neaten up the fields?

4. Mike 16

Nothing to fear

When swarms of robotic bees are deployed, just hunker down until the first software update, which will either totally disable them or make the Africanized organic sort seem positively benign. far more likely the former. (Always look on the bright side of life). Or, you know, stay in a mobile dead-zone.

5. Chris G

A new meaning

To Zzzkynetzzzz.

Don't let Monsanto hear about this, they'll be selling robo-bees with every bottle of insecticide.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Why?

That's like trying to use a laser to shoot down drops of rain to stop your head getting wet.

If bees or spiders are in danger, then help them. Or change the crops.

Robotic bees will not replace real bees. Just as glasses don't "replace" eyes.

If these people want to make robotic insects, then that is cool, great research and can be a good thing. They either need to fire their marketing, or get a grip or reality.

1. MonkeyCee

Re: Why?

"If bees or spiders are in danger, then help them."

Based on current events, what you do is replace the bees* with a person on minimum wage with a small paint brush. If they're lucky the collecting the pollen is done using automation, so all you need to do is "paint" the pollen onto the flowers.

It's very common on a micro scale for breeding plants, and it gets used in China and India on quite large scales.

"Or change the crops."

Many of these crops are from trees. Planting an orchard is a pretty serious investment, you can't just replant with a different crop next season.

Much the same issue with telling Cali farmers to rip out their almond orchids (IIRC requires bees too) to cut down on their water usage. The costs are even more front loaded than usual with agricultural production, and it takes a few seasons to get production up to speed.

So changing crops is not as easy at it may appear, and the alternative is manual labor. Sounds like a perfect case for automation :)

* the bees have died off or not doing enough, rather than they being phased out

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: MonkeyCee

Thanks for the info (I knew about private cultivation options, no idea if it was used industrial scale).

My example was merely saying *where* the problem was. For example, if you get a flat tire, the solution is not to turn the road into rubber and inflate it. Though both options work (metal wheels on rubber/rails, or inflatable wheels on a tarmac road. ;) ).

So while I agree there are obstacles to helping bees/spiders and difficulties changing crops/pollination/ecology, they are easier and better solutions than "make artificial *and* robotic bees". :P

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why?

Now you've added a laser umbrella to my wanted list. Can't decide whether to put it before or after the flying car though.

7. onefang
    Terminator

It had to be said.

I, for one, welcome our new robo-insect overlords.

8. davidp231

Would these be mechanical fly swatters?

1. Coen Dijkgraaf
      Terminator

Would these be mechanical fly swatters?

No, the would be Would these be electric fly swatters. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly-killing_device#Electric_flyswatter

9. TrumpSlurp the Troll
    Trollface

Power to weight?

Have we invented something as effective as bee or spider muscle to power these things?

10. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

Opens up a whole new approach to wasp control.

"Suicide bomber" robo wasps to infiltrate the nest before triggering their on board thermite load and fry the little bu**ers in one strike.

Just thought I'd get that idea out of my system.

1. davidp231

Re: Opens up a whole new approach to wasp control.

Wouldn't something uranium, or plutonium based be more thorough? Stop them coming back too.

1. Celeste Reinard

Re: Opens up a whole new approach to wasp control.

I guess it would stop the neighborhood coming back.... for a 100 years. Nevertheless, great idea. You're hired!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is just the precursor

to the world being covered in "grey goo" due to intelligent reproducing nano-bots.

The Xenons were invented this way IIRC

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bees?!

NOT THE BEES!

13. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Puny humans!

Prototype spiderbots already exist that can jump several centimetres, and the real thing can jump six times longer than its own body length. Far better than the abilities of a puny human.

Than a puny human, perhaps. A magnificent specimen such as myself is easily capable of jumping several centimetres or six times longer than the body length of a spider. Why, I did it just the other day.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like