back to article Us? Reverse engineer HoloLens? No way, not us, nuh-uh – Magic Leap

Virtual reality clown Magic Leap did not try to reverse engineer Microsoft's HoloLens technology, the upstart stated in its lawsuit against Todd Keil, its former head of security. In fact, Magic Leap doesn't even know why it had five HoloLenses in the first place. It certainly didn't open their boxes. Well, maybe it opened one …

1. Joe Werner Silver badge

Don't pressure them!

Spring begins with the equinox ;)

That buys them some time to finalise the shipping agreements, I guess. Because everything else is, of course, done....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Florida headquarters, I mean come on!

Who chooses to set up shop in FL?

Scammy pig-face Rony, that's who.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Florida headquarters, I mean come on!

The IBM PC was created at Boca Raton...

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Florida headquarters, I mean come on!

The IBM PC was created at Boca Raton...

And was an immediate, blazing success - so much so that it's still with us today! And wasn't overtaken immediately by people like Compaq..

(I refuse to bow to the convention of putting a /s to indicate sarcasm - such things are only needed for those poor unfortunates who are incapable of detecting sarcasm. Such as small children and Americans..)

3. IceC0ld

ncidentally, Thursday was the first day of spring. That means we have a maximum of three months from now to wait until Magic Leap proves the world wrong and produces a revolutionary new piece of technology. How exciting.

almost too good to be true :oP

can't wait for the finale to this thread

'sets alarm clock for three months' :o)

1. Frank Marsh

These stories about Magic Leap are hilarious. I find them almost as funny as BoFH. Thank you very much, El Reg!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No manufacturing contracts?

Well, of course not, the gadget will be assembled at a secret location by elves and oompa-loompas.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: No manufacturing contracts?

secret location by elves and oompa-loompas

Don't diss the elves. For they can fill you full of arrows you just by hearing your breathing..

5. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Like those dreams

"That was a year of hard work but 5 million Magic Leap Ones are ready ready to ship!" <realizes that goggles are on and nothing was built in the real world>

1. JLV
      Trollface

Re: Like those dreams

realizes that competitor's goggles are on

FTFY

6. Tony Paulazzo

Templecloud has the measure of you people, you're clearly not in love with magic leap

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicleap/comments/81clrb/whats_going_on_here_then/

It's like Nessie, you have to believe to see it. I mean, it's got magic in the title, you need to look with different eyes, like, every-time you doubt it's existence a fairy dies.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yep.

The "but they are making games, and getting studios involved", just like that advert they totally faked?

Anyone can commission a game for a non-existing device. See Steam for an example of shovelware.

2. imanidiot Silver badge

Well dûh.

The Reg seems to have a dislike to being nice to any corporation, let alone one that has so far shown they are very good at peddling bullshit. Their patents seem to hint at some actual product development happening, but their timelines and what they've shown so far point to it being either a steaming pile or not ready for release by a long shot.

1. jelabarre59

Their patents seem to hint at some actual product development happening, but their timelines and what they've shown so far point to it being either a steaming pile or not ready for release by a long shot.

And now we see what is probably their REAL business plan. Gather up a boatload of bullshit patents, then wait for someone to release a product that has some vague but insignificant resemblance to it ("Hey! It's designed for people with TWO eyes!") so they can sue them for patent infringement.

7. Evil Auditor Silver badge

generally regarded by his supervisors and co-workers as unsatisfactory

I have no doubt this is actually true. And probably just goes to show that he, Mr Keil, is actually a highly competent professional. It's just another symptom of Peter's principle and arsehole's ruling.

I've been on the receiving end of this myself. And left for good. Not to boast about having been a highly competent person in that situation but rather in the country of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

8. BebopWeBop

Uber levels of self delusion

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just another Uber corruptacorp

Only with better PR.

10. Swarthy
    Pint

Which is patently ridiculous because Magic Leap is one of the finest, most honest and wholly truthful companies you will ever come across. Yes, we're being sarcastic.
    This had me looking for the up-vote button in the article. Well Done!

11. steve 124

It's going to be the most amazing thing ever!

Kieren, I'm not sure you're being fair. After all, it is going to be the most amazing thing ever (and that takes time). Of course they looked at hololens (otherwise how would they know exactly HOW MUCH better their product was going to be than the competition?!)

I'm so glad that we are all going to be here to witness this product's release. Oh my gosh, oh my gosh! (Sorry, I get so excited thinking about "the product" sometimes).

So I've been saving my money and I hope you have been too, because it's going to simply be amazing... all the amazing things it can and will do, it's just, well, incredible. (oh my gosh, oh my gosh)

Hey remember how many people were completely blown away by Zombo.com? This is going to be like Zombo.com x 1000 !!! (omg, omg - see? I got so excited there I couldn't even type the whole interjection)!

Well, Kieren, just hang in there a little longer. We know it's going to be worth the wait. I can't wait to read the next amazing article about this incredible "product". Their videos are simply, mind blowing. I heard from a friend, that his cousin's roomate's sister's boyfriend knew a guy that saw "the product" operating at their facility and he couldn't really talk about it (NDAs and such) but I'm gathering he was pretty impressed!

OH MY GOD!!! I CAN'T WAIT!

12. Deltics
    Coat

1st of March is the first day of March, not spring. Check back on the 21st.

It makes sense that some people want a nice neat calendar that lines up arbitrary human relatable ideas with or sometimes despite observable/astronomical phenomena. It's happened many, many times over the centuries.

But some things still don't line up neatly, no matter how much we might like them to.

The equinoxes are one of those things (well, two technically).

1. Champ

Re: 1st of March is the first day of March, not spring. Check back on the 21st.

Better tell the TV weather forecasters. They routinely quote 1st March as "start of meteorological spring", completely correctly, in my view.

This is the small hill I have been dying on for the past 20 years, and will continue to do so. "Spring", as referenced by the vast majority of people, is a meteorological, not astronomical concept, as are the other seasons. It makes absolutely no sense to say that summer *starts* on the longest day, or, for instance, winter starts just 4 days before Christmas.

If we're going to divide the calendar up into four seasons, then this correspondent is going to continue insist that they start on 1st March, 1st June, 1st September and 1st December.

<deep breath>

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon