back to article BOFH: Honourable misconduct

BOFH logo telephone with devil's horns I’m on high alert in Mission Control. It’s 11:30am, I’ve not seen the PFY all morning and there’s a cold, half eaten chicken kebab sitting on the PFY’s keyboard. There’s a faint beeping noise from his desktop machine as the password field of his login is overflowing with H characters, …

1. chivo243 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

I think I even have a script for that.

Awesome! simply divine!

Simon, have you ever thought of a series or film?

1. steelpillow Silver badge
      Angel

Re: I think I even have a script for that.

You stole my post!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That way I would not have to lose pay for being on strike! AC as we are not supposed to tell manglement till after the event.

3. K

Can see the presentation to the Channel 4 board... "Its IT Crowd on steroids and beer, whilst carrying a Cattle Prod. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you BoFH!"

But who would play BOFH and PFY?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
        Coat

Fred West?

2. Phil W

BOFH - Peter Capaldi

PFY - Mackenzie Crook

3. chivo243 Silver badge
        Devil

I was thinking more of a Young Ones meets IT Crowd... Viv as the PFY anybody?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Viv as the PFY anybody?

Trouble is, at age 61, he not all that Y anymore.

2. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?
          Pint

"I was thinking more of a Young Ones meets IT Crowd... Viv as the PFY anybody?"

Indeed, as has been mentioned, Viv may well be a bit a lot to old for the Y, however in the style of Edward from bottom, he'd make a good BoFH. Beer, violence and IT, the character is almost two thirds of the way there already!

4. Chemical Bob

Re: who would play BOFH and PFY?

BOFH: Richard Grant

PFY: Bruce Langley (plays Technical Boy on 'American Gods')

Boss: Stephen Fry

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Sadly, I don’t think Richard E Grant is quite “scruffy” enough these days to quite be the BOFH (back in the Withnail days, perhaps so, but a little too young then). Sadly, I think Peter Capaldi is just very slightly too old for this role now. I could see Simon Pegg as the BOFH, however?

Mackenzie Crook is very much the obvious (too obvious, typecast?) person to be the PFY, indeed.

Stephen Fry would definitely be ideal as the boss (but may be unamused by previous references to him in The Register!), or maybe Chris Barrie?

1. Marshalltown

"...(too obvious, typecast?) With characters named BoFH, PFY, BOSS, HR droid, surely you jest.

2. Ray Merrall

Plus numerous well known guests, who in acting the parts of various HR goons, finance ac*nts, management, sales guys, etc., demonstrate the practical uses of carpet, lime and a map of nearby forests, or how windows on second floors and above need proper locking mechanisms, or the use of over powered electric cattle prods on parts of the body.

You know guests like Piers Morgan, Simon Cowell, Nigel Farage, members of the Cabinet and government (How is she still PM TMay, BoJo the Clown, Precious JRM, Twinkletoes Fox, Hunt the C*nt, and many others) who wish to resurrect their political careers if, unfortunately, not in person.......

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Boss: Stephen Fry"

Given the rate at which Bosses are introduced to rolls of carpet and quicklime this would need to be a series of guest appearances.

1. dlc.usa
            Thumb Up

"Given the rate at which Bosses are introduced to rolls of carpet and quicklime this would need to be a series of guest appearances."

Indeed. They are the equivalent of original Star Trek Red Shirts...

1. Mike Moyle

I always saw bosses more as this week's Number 2, myself.

Auditors and security bods may justifiably be considered redshirts.

2. Chemical Bob

No, no, no, no, no - the Boss is always played by Stephen Fry. Every time the Boss is killed off, his replacement is identical. Sort of like South Park in which Kenny gets killed in every episode.

4. Laura Kerr
      Devil

I've been trying to sell a TV series based on the BOFH for ages now - after getting the OK from Simon to draw on his stuff, I completed seven scripts and tried to get production companies interested. I even managed to get a couple of celebrity endorsements, including one from the actor who would be the ideal Simon.

And after spending a fortune on postage I ended up with enough rejection letters to wallpaper my lavatory. I did get a couple of nibbles along the way but no bites. I got the impression that commissioning suits didn't like the idea of a series where manglement were the butt of the jokes.

About that time, a few life issues intervened and I put it on the back burner. But I'm thinking that I should try again. I've got enough material and ideas for about 24 episodes, plus a Christmas special.

1. earl grey
        Devil

Time to submit those to Netflix to see if they'll make the series. They seem to go for more non-stock programs these days.

1. Laura Kerr

Good thinking! I'll see what their Ts and Cs are like.

EDIT:

No unsolicited scripts. What a surprise.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"No unsolicited scripts. What a surprise."

Now think what the BOFH would do in that situation. He'd tell a Brit commissioning editor that Netflix were interested but taking their time and there was a small window of opportunity if the editor could make up their mind before the pubs open.

2. steelpillow Silver badge

"I've been trying to sell a TV series based on the BOFH for ages now"

Indiegogo.

Has a section devoted to film media. You'll need to recruit a Director and Producer and stuff, though.

1. I3N
          Pint

Oh don't ...

let a crew in for 'credits' and still haven't had the time to replace the load bearing wall that the set guy from LA said wasn't! [temp support only a year later when son pointed out the sag]

Producer/writer found out only so much good will out there when crowd-sourced financing maybe covered half of costs ....

Why did I expect that the cast/crew would be any better than government contractors ...

Damn sign painter stole my nice, big, golf umbrella to boot ... imagine her walking for the 'cause' under the Callaway logo ...

2. theN8

Isn't that how Mel Brook's "The Producers" started?!

3. Busby

Try Netflix they will give a full season order to anything at the moment.

4. Blitheringeejit
        Go

Please try to land it in the in-tray in the League of Gentlemen production office. A marriage made in the 13th circle of hell...

1. Laura Kerr

I've twice been told to 'coff by the BBC. I'm thinking about one more round of the UK prodcos, and then trying Amazon Prime.

5. Nick Kew

I've been trying to sell a TV series based on the BOFH for ages now - after getting the OK from Simon to draw on his stuff, I completed seven scripts and tried to get production companies interested

Ooh! Good luck with that. I wonder what level of cliqueiness you're up against with the production companies that have the ear of telly commissioners?

For me to make suggestions is probably a case of teaching granny to suck eggs, but ... have you tried thinking through your customer's mindset? For example, making Simon's alter ego a female would tick a huge box with the BBC in terms of representing women in central roles, without seriously impacting on the story lines. Just wondering!

1. I3N
          Coat

Yeah, good luck ...

Ask for funds to support the local film commission tithe and city permits!

2. Laura Kerr

"For example, making Simon's alter ego a female would tick a huge box with the BBC in terms of representing women in central roles, without seriously impacting on the story lines."

Very true, but - I spent a long time trying that out, and it just didn't work; as Steven is subordinate to Simon, it was difficult to get anywhere without overtones of sexism and bullying creeping in. Same with the KZEEEERT - the stories worked better with that strictly rationed. There are other outbreaks of violence to compensate, though :-)

There is a female central role, and she's on the same level as Simon. Similar attitude to corporate silliness too, which makes for a good relationship. She's just as intimidating as Simon, but in a different way.

6. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Just a thought, have you considered adapting it for radio?

I think it would be great?

2. Only me!
    Coat

Script for Leave

Must get a copy to compare with the one I am currently using.....just to see if I can make efficiency improvements. The management are always asking for efficiency improvements.

Mines the one with the beer in the pocket!

1. Chloe Cresswell Silver badge

Re: Script for Leave

I'm worried about how you are transporting and containing beer.. :)

1. Only me!
        Pint

Waterproof (beerproof) pockets and a long straw for siphoning it off sir.

1. Peter Ford

When I was a student I had a jacket with pockets capable of carrying up to four bottles of Newcastle Brown, even if they were opened at the bar to avoid carry-outs...

2. Spacedinvader
        Pint

Last orders is two pints, one for inside jacket for the road home.

Pint tumbler fits in my inside suit pocket quite nicely although I'd recommend drinking about 1/4 of it first...

1. Rich 11

Doesn't your local do carry-out packs? For shame, sir. You need access to a better class of publican.

3. TRT Silver badge

I can't help but feel...

That somewhere there's some scope for the BOFH making use of the adjacent story, "Fancy owning a two-seat Second World War Messerschmitt fighter?"

Baaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrnnnn! Dakka-dakka-dakka.

1. Geekpride

Re: I can't help but feel...

Yes! Maybe in response to some ill-conceived management decision to embrace drone technology. Have the BOFH fit it with remote control & cameras, then demonstrate its capabilities.

1. TRT Silver badge

Yes, and there's plenty of opportunity for using the word Fokker in his presentation to the board.

1. Uk_Gadget

Yeah but these Fokkers were Messerschmitts

1. Mark 85

Yeah but these Fokkers were Messerschmitts

Only after they hit the ground in an uncontrolled fashion.*

*I heard an old radio from the War, the smooth British presenter intones solemnly: "And there after crashing into the ground was a Messerchmit." Followed by loud laughter from the crew.

2. ma1010
          Happy

@TRT

Yes, and there's plenty of opportunity for using the word Fokker in his presentation to the board.

Reminds me of an old joke with a radio interview of a WW II fighter ace nicknamed "Swede."

ANNOUNCER: So tell us about the day you became an ace, Swede.

SWEDE: Well,I was flying patrol, and I saw this Fokker coming at me from the right and above, so I turned toward him, and just then saw another Fokker coming up from below, so...

ANNOUNCER: Swede, just let me interrupt and let the audience know that a Fokker is a type of German airplane, right?

SWEDE: Well, ya, but these Fokkers were flying Messerschmits.

2. Jemma

"You can teach *managers* to fly better than that..."

1. TRT Silver badge

Fly... or fall with style?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

They can fall with style, but I'm not putting any bets on them getting 10 points for the landing!

1. WonkoTheSane

"They can fall with style, but I'm not putting any bets on them getting 10 points for the landing!"

Depends on what style of fencing (if any) surrounds the building.

1. Omgwtfbbqtime
              Happy

Does bouncing count?

1. bpfh

You don’t bounce after being pushed out of a window into a skip full of CRT’s. Apparently. From what I’ve been told.

2. Dante Alighieri
                Holmes

Castle of Wizardry.,.

You are Silk and I claim my £5

David E.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
                  Paris Hilton

@Dante

Not sure what you were replying to, but Silk was a Drasnian spy wasn't he?

1. Omgwtfbbqtime

Re: @Dante

Does bouncing count? a quote from the book by the aforementioned Silk. :)

4. Roger Kynaston
    Pint

half eaten chicken kebab!

On one of my very few lapses from being a bad veggie I had a chicken kebab and it was revolting. The PFY must have been in a serious bender to stomach one of those.

1. Bob Wheeler
      Mushroom

Re: half eaten chicken kebab!

sounds like you need more practice at beer drinking, a lot more

1. FeRDNYC

Re: half eaten chicken kebab!

Either that, or more practice at meat eating. ...Nah, let's go with the beer one. (More meat for me!)

5. Alistair
    Windows

Oh dear.

"I think I even have a script for that. "

I get *accused* of having scripts for that.....

I want to know if the rolling chair managed to intersect with the electrified brass pole on the way out the open window.....

6. chivo243 Silver badge

Story Photo!

Love the photo on the main page for this story! Plants in a urinal! No wonder the PFY watered them!

7. Sir Runcible Spoon

Uh Oh

"someone in an impeccably cut suit sporting a sharp tie and a razor thin plain face wristwatch. Legal."

For some reason that line arrived in my ahead accompanied by some ominous sounding percussion, along the lines of Dunn, dunn, DERRRRRR!

1. AstroNutter

Re: Uh Oh

It arrived in my head to the sound of the drums of the deep and a dark cloud looming menacingly

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anon because... of course...

while working a weekend, set a machine to play music so I could find it out on the floor amongst all the desks.

one of the users who also happened to be in, and sat next to it, asked what the heck was going on, and how the heck did I do that.

he asked if I could make anyone's machine play anything. "yes of course", and I could see their inner child having fiendish ideas.

so I knocked up an excel sheet floor plan, some vba, and a few sound samples.

assign a sound sample from a drop down on each desk, and click on the chair to play.

sent to user. user very very happy.

didn't take long for the files in their audio folder to be modified and added to with various crude vocals.

it all came crashing down when one users machine, (who as it happened loved to take every single phone call on speakerphone in an open plan office - to show how busy and important he was), developed a case of turret's during one particularly loud long and tedious phone call, that started off with a few light cuss words and ended in a crescendo of expletives

turns out the guy had forward the sheet around to others.. "a bit..."

the sheet got tagged as a UDA or "user developed application", and as such prevented from executing within the corporate environment.

1. T. F. M. Reader

Re: Anon because... of course...

Meg Ryan in a diner from "When Harry Meets Sally" was a popular one to send around the network to be played at random times some... eh... 25-27 years ago...

9. adam payne

I think I even have a script for that.

Scripting is an art form in itself.

10. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Excellent.

I've got fairly used to the BOFH's tricks, but I didn't see any of that coming.

1. Hero Protagonist

Re: Excellent.

Neither did the boss....especially the wheely chair

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Excellent.

I visited BVE yesterday, I think that means Broadcast & Video Expo; anyway, there was a lovely air powered remote squib system on show. Can't help but think if BOFH got hold of a demo unit for that, what fun would ensue. The 6-hit programmable sequencer unit fitted with the American-style blood discharge heads was particularly impressive.

11. Mike Moyle
    Thumb Up

+1

Props for the shoutout to the immortal Don (flabbadap flabbadap flabbadap... skglooosh!) Martin!

12. MAH

Tim Conway and Harvey Korman - they would have made awesome BOFH and PFY I think....

13. FeRDNYC

But why?

I find myself left with one burning question: Why is the Bastard doing this?

He's going to some pretty great lengths to, ultimately, protect the PFY from himself. Which feels a bit out-of-character for someone whose primary motivation is usually personal gain — whether it be in terms of financial benefit, reduced workload, or even just TEH LULZ.

I can't get a read on the motivation here, though. It could be a further sign that he's getting soft in his middle age, and genuinely wants to help his employee (even if he'd never admit to that reason). Then again, perhaps the PFY has some leverage against Simon that would make preserving his job a typically selfish act. Or, I suppose it could simply be that it's a chance to fuck with the standard-issue cast of company stuffed suits, something a BOFH generally seems to view as its own reward.

1. Disk0
      Boffin

Re: But why?

There is never a time to turn down an opportunity to engage and ensure the defeat of the enemy*. Is why.

*) identified enemies include, but are not limited to bosses, consultants, helldesk, users, legal, hr, security, the board, vendors, reps, programmers, salesdroids, visitors, software, hardware, bad kebab, empty cattleprods, other bofh's, and the landlord's uncanny precision at calculating your tab at the pub.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Devil

Re: But why?

Better the devil you know...

14. Steve Knox
    Thumb Up

"...the PFY’s Chekhovian wheely chair..."

1. Dave559 Silver badge

the PFY’s Chekhovian wheely chair

thread merge: Does Chekhov have a phaser?

1. Joe Werner Silver badge

Re: the PFY’s Chekhovian wheely chair

> thread merge: Does Chekhov have a phaser?

Isn't it the proverbial gun?

15. Herby

Don Martin reference...

Wonderful.

As for a BOFH production, wouldn't there be a different "boss" each episode. Kinda like _The Prisoner_ with interchangeable #2's.

As for beer, I remember a lunch break where four of us went to the local road house and we went through 3 pitchers of beer. I remember that I was the one that drank the least, and my head was spinning and the others "appeared" to be sober. Thankfully for all of us said road house (which is no longer there) was walking distance and they don't give WUI's (Walking under the influence) out.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Funny but contrived

Very funny but seems more like the daydreams of a frustrated IT worker rather than an honest depiction of a real event.

1. Alister
      Facepalm

Re: Funny but contrived

@AC

They are stories!

As in, made up!

2. Jos V

Re: Funny but contrived

You've never worked in IT, have you?

17. RyokuMas
    Thumb Up

It's been a while...

... since the BOFH has made me laugh out loud. Snigger, yes. Chuckle to myself. yes...

... but the mental image of the boss flying out of the room only to be intercepted by a high-velocity wheely chair just hit the right spot. Nice one.

18. Packet

Rik Mayall would have made such an amazing BoFh...

He had the sadism and wheeling dealing down pat in The New Statesman.

Why did you have to die, you magnificent b'stard

19. Angryman22

12 O'Clock

Wait, wasn't there a Pub across the street ? Now its' Cafe in the morning ? Is Simon messing up his geography ?

From what I recollect, there's a Pub across the street, another pub at the far corner and a Kebab House that sells Tandoori Chicken / Tikka Masala at the other corner.

20. Spotswood

Simply brilliant.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like