back to article Mayors of America demand net neutrality protections… again

More than 75 mayors and city officials across America this week signed a letter asking that the nation's net neutrality safeguards remain in place. Again. The open letter is addressed to the four main Congressional leaders, and calls the controversial decision by the FCC to dismantle is own rules covering access to online …

1. Adrian 4

Why are they stuck for one more vote ? Are all the remaining holdouts republicans ?

2. DNTP

I look forward to Verizon's next-year offering,

2nd-Amendment NRA Freedom Access! For an additional $29.95 a month (plus fineprint costs) get a data plan that guarantees any online firearm discussions, purchasing arrangements, or vague threats of use towards ethnic groups, political parties, or educational institutions will be kept anonymous and not reported to the government!* Is less than $30** too much to pay to preserve your most essential freedoms?

*Terms and conditions apply. Contract does not cover warrant/subpoenas, user information collected by mass general surveillance, requests made under general 'national security' premises, or any other similar breach of privacy. See pages 12-732 of your subscriber information for more definitions and details.

**Minimum plan for NRA Freedom Access requires Verizon Premium+ElectrumSpeed2 subscription ($189.95/m), NRA Freedom Access channel surcharge ($29.95/m), Per-device connection fee ($19.95/m), national security mass data monitoring surcharge ($9.99/m), and any applicable state and local taxes.

1. Scott 26

Re: I look forward to Verizon's next-year offering,

It suspiciously looks like you have written these things before

1. DNTP

Re: I look forward to Verizon's next-year offering,

I have almost a decade of dealing with Verizon EULAs, an ex-girlfriend reading contract law for a study partner, and a healthy appreciation for the importance of ridiculing entities that hold power over me that don't deserve to.

3. Mark 85

There's a storm brewing

And the storm won't be hitting along party lines. With all the crap floating to the top, it looks like the guy who appointed/approved the commissioners will end up taking the flack with trickledown. Given how this affects darn near every voter it could change the shape of Congress. I would hope that the Congress would listen to the voters for a change and not the lobbyists since they seem to forget who voted them in.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Flame

Re: There's a storm brewing

Hope springs eternal. Unfortunately, the current state of the US government and political parties clearly demonstrates that the democratic process has been hijacked by interested parties and taken over by people who have taken essential positions for the wrong reasons.

Until the American People stand up and demand change to a situation that respects The People, nothing will change. The worst of it is people like Pai who are blatantly in violation of the trust of their position and yet, no police officer is marching up to him with a pair of handcuffs to take him in for treason.

Because as far as I'm concerned, he is a traitor to everything his position is supposed to mean.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: There's a storm brewing

I think that's wishful thinking. People will be voting on issues they feel are more important - feelings about gun violence / NRA are a lot stronger on either side than positions on net neutrality ever will be. Likewise for anti-Trump sentiment amongst the 2/3 of the population that aren't his remaining hardcore supporters. There are still seven months before election day for other issues to rise up.

Net neutrality COULD affect "darn near every voter" but only if ISPs act quickly to make anti net neutrality changes, like squeezing Netflix for billions for transit across their networks. Even then, the worst outcome for voters is Netflix raises their rates a few bucks and tells people it is because net neutrality was reversed (and even then you'd likely hear from fake news from the right claiming that's not true) There's no way you'll ever see a pro NRA voter going democratic due to anger over Netflix charging him more. Net neutrality is simply never going to get people riled up anywhere near as much as hot button issues.

4. unwarranted triumphalism

It's not their place to do that.

5. Velv
    Megaphone

OK, I buy into the fact that big business is lobbying the republican party to remove "red tape" and regulation to make their business easier (read more profitable for the few rich).

But I also find it deeply worrying that the Republicans are attempting to remove things purely because they were put in place by Democrats and specifically Barrack Obama. Now I know "that's politics", but it is perfectly acceptable for one side to agree that the other sides idea was actually OK.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think I've ever seen a policy from either side that is perfect. But some are/were going in the right direction for the people, and removing them only hurts the people.

And the critical issue with America is that there are only two sides. It isn't a democracy, it is two power houses who's sole purpose appears to be destroy the other at all cost.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Net Neutrality - All Worked Up Over A NothingBurger

What happened in the 20 some years before the Net Neutrality law went into effect? It was just a waste of time and taxpayer money used for political purposes. We were fine before the stupid law, and we will be just fine afterwards.

1. Adrian 4

Re: Net Neutrality - All Worked Up Over A NothingBurger

@AC Trolling is boring. Get a name and say something worthwhile.

2. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: Net Neutrality - All Worked Up Over A NothingBurger

Refer to my post from 3 months ago for more information, you ignorant twatdangle.

It can be found here.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like