back to article Irish eyes are sighing: Data protection office notes olagoanin'* up 79%

The Irish Data Protection Commissioner received 79 per cent more complaints last year than in 2016, while data breach notifications rose 26 per cent. The figures, released in the commissioner's annual report for 2017 (PDF), show that the DPC's office received a record 2,642 complaints in 2017. That's a 79 per cent increase on …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Irish-DPC is basically an outsourced unit of Facebook

Who wants more of the wink-wink nudge-nudge games below. Until the Irish DPC is ousted, what influence do any of the other EU players really have?

-

-https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/independence-of-data-protection-commissioner-questioned-1.2513682

http://www.thejournal.ie/data-protection-commissioner-new-office-1488473-May2014/

https://qz.com/162791/how-a-bureaucrat-in-a-struggling-country-at-the-edge-of-europe-found-himself-safeguarding-the-worlds-data/

https://qz.com/993995/how-facebooks-fb-sheryl-sandberg-personally-lobbied-irish-prime-minister-enda-kenny-as-shown-by-2014-emails-published-in-the-irish-independent/

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Contacting the Regulator that overseas Facebook

What follows is pretty typical... If you push harder, the replies just get more defensive. The EU needs to own this process.

=

#1. Question: My account was originally set-up inside the EU but I now live outside. What data protection law applies? I tried to contact Facebook but got nowhere but I'd appreciate an independent answer anyway.

"Response to Question 1: Facebook, have a section in their Privacy Policy called “How to contact Facebook with questions”. I would advise you to read through this section."

======

#2. Question: The Max Schrems case highlighted how Facebook never delete data including photos. I've noticed repeatedly that Facebook 'undeletes' timeline posts from at long as 10 years ago? Plus, none of this info appears in the Download-your-data- option either. How are you confirming Facebook actually deletes data?

"Response to Question 2: With regard to problems you may be experiencing with the operation of Facebook. You will need to contact Facebook first."

4. smudge
    Joke

olagoanin

Thought that was the Irish BBC news reporter who is always reporting from some hellish war zone.

5. Mage Silver badge

Most people in Ireland.

a) Don't complain because they don't know regulator exists.

OR

b) Don't complain, because almost no complaints about anything are official. People bitch in pub, work, phone-ins etc, especially Joe Duffy show.

OR

c) Don't make official complaints unless they are Eircom/Eir, Three etc as otherwise they are ignored.

Take your pick.

Don't complain if you are in Lidl as the manager just suggests you ring their freephone number. Probably even if the stuff has caught fire. Dunnes, Tesco, B&Q, PCWorld/Currys also all terrible consumer relations.

6. Mage Silver badge

Data Protection Commissioner?

Not as bad as Financial Regulator, or Comreg that makes Ofcom and FCC look proactive & consumer orientated.

These regulators were an EU idea because the actual governments could not be trusted. The Regulators are captured by Mega Corps and Gov. Finance Dept/Treasuries. EU regulators might be better than national ones. Ofcom opposed voice & data roaming and supported Mobile Operators.

Ofcom & Comreg want to close FM (why? the spectrum is no use for anything else) and also want to close terrestrial TV entirely, re-birthing it as Mobile company owned Pay TV using LTE-Broadcast spec. Bigger licence revenue.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Data Protection Commissioner?

that makes Ofcom.... look proactive & consumer orientated.

Nobody could be that bad.

7. Barry Mahon

Didn't I read somewhere that the Irish Gov are shuffling about to get a derogation from the strictures of the upcoming EU data protection stuff?

Ireland needs to offer sub rosa guarantees to big (us) corps that their data in the country is protected from prying. Viz. this issue of the Reg report on MS v the US Supreme Court.

8. Barry Mahon

Facebook now requiring EU based customers to accept new terms, aligning them, in principle, with upcoming EU data protection rules. Two things, only in principle and what is the situation with customers elsewhere?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like