back to article Fender's 'smart' guitar amp has no Bluetooth pairing controls

Guitar amp manufacturer Fender's recently-introduced Mustang GT 100 guitar amplifier can be made to play whatever audio an attacker fancies, security researchers have discovered. The amp allows Bluetooth connections, but without pairing security. Anyone within range could therefore "stream arbitrary audio to it and hijack your …

1. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge
    Trollface

lol, rickrolling sound like a good thing

1. Andrew Newstead

Forget Rickrolling the artist, do the stadium!

2. djstardust

Right ....

Where's my Cheeky Girls greatest hits CD .....

Failing that Daphne & Celeste or Lolly will do instead :)

1. Mike Moyle

Re: Right ....

Go for the nuclear option: Mary Schneider, "Yodeling the Classics".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awp3-7EVM0Q

1. Danny 14

Re: Right ....

i think aome slipknot at the local glen miller recital would do.

2. Mystic Megabyte
    FAIL

"We don’t consider these to be vulnerabilities particularly, more abuse of features for unintended consequences," Pen Test Partners' Ken Munro told El Reg.

It might be a vulnerability if someone turns it up to 11 and blasts pink noise through it. Damage to speakers, amp or eardrums is a possibility.

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

It might be a vulnerability if someone turns it up to 11 and blasts pink noise through it. Damage to speakers, amp or eardrums is a possibility.

Damage to ears possibly, damage to amp or speakers no. It's a combo amp, and the speaker is rated to be able to handle the output from the power amp stage. No matter how high you turn up the volume you can't damage the amplifier itself.

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
        Stop

RE: the speaker is rated to be able to handle the output from the power amp

Er .... I wouldn't want to test that standing behind it, as a pilot once said.

That sentence is missing a "Should", and I can well believe that some combo amps have been built down to a price and someone said "100W speaker ?, No one will notice if we use a 50W."

Especially as some guitarists might think the resultant distortion is "pretty groovy".

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: RE: the speaker is rated to be able to handle the output from the power amp

guitarists might think the resultant distortion is "pretty groovy"

It's when they start getting out the razor blades that you need to start worrying..

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: RE: the speaker is rated to be able to handle the output from the power amp

"100W speaker ?, No one will notice if we use a 50W."

Long ago, in a far off planet, a band called deep purple had some blown loudspeakers.

They put them all in a couple of 4x12s and the Roadies Red-Star trained them back to Jim Marshalls

My acquaintance, a young engineer there. was. after a peculiar phone call, asked to come and pick them up from the station.

Not only had they been re stencilled with 'Fu**ing Marshall Sh*t' but on arrival removing the rear covers revealed that the roadies had used them as portable toilets.

IN the magazine 'studio sound', a hot guitarist was asked why he rans is loudspeaker cabinets without grilles or grille cloth. Was it perhaps to get some special sound ?

Nah mate" he retorted "Its so I can kick the **** out of them when the cones go, and stop them buzzing".

I can assure you that even cloth eared rock musicians can tell when a loudspeaker has blown.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese: "It's a combo amp, and the speaker is rated to be able to handle the output from the power amp stage. No matter how high you turn up the volume you can't damage the amplifier itself."

Not true. The amplifier and speaker will have been specced up to handle fluctuating signals. Push it hard enough and for long enough and both the amplifier and speaker can be damaged.

Fender are claiming this as the first "wifi" amp, but Line 6 actually beat them to that with their Amplifi range.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The amplifier and speaker will have been specced up to handle fluctuating signals.

I have designed guitar amplifiers,. You have not., They are specced to handle full power full distortion continuously

Typically 50W amps will have 60-80W loudspeakers.

My Marshall 50W (2x EL34) has a Celestion G75 installed

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"No matter how high you turn up the volume you can't damage the amplifier itself."

Sadly not true. Many modern guitar amps are designed in such a way that they blow up if the user fails to regard the spec with enough scepticism and tries to use full power for any length of time. It's a consequence of design by marketers and beancounters.

Ironically, valve amplifiers of 40 or 50 years ago were much more robust in this regard. (I've been an amp repair tech for 45+ years and have seen a lot of blown up amplifiers).

1. simonb_london

"Many modern guitar amps are designed in such a way that they blow up if the user fails to regard the spec with enough scepticism and tries to use full power for any length of time."

If the amp is run at full power then the output devices become more like switches than resistors and actually become less hot than they would running, say, at 2/3 power. Feel sorry for the speaker though....

4. Andytug

Nope, clipping can destroy speakers and amps even at less power...

In a lot of ways it's safer to have an amp rated higher than your speakers rather than the other way round . The lower powered amp will start to "clip" the tops off the waveform as it runs out of headroom, which is not good for the speakers at all. Or your ears!

2. MyffyW Silver badge

I don't consider a 1/4" guitar cable that much of an impediment, whereas a Bluetooth-doo-dah simply feels like my day job intruding into my leisure time. To be honest, the interplay of guitar straps and foundation-wear was just one more reason why playing the guitar seemed so liberating.

Maybe it's time to accept I'm an analogue girl in a digital dystopia.

1. Laura Kerr
        Thumb Up

Sounds like me. I suffer from GAS as much as the next bassist, but most of my toys - amps, effects pedals and whatnot - are decidedly analogue, are tied together with electric string and have controls you either twist or stamp on to make a noise.

In a weak moment, I bought a Boss digital mini-studio, and I find it a royal pain in the arse. Admittedly, the looping, speed control and recording functions are very good, but I really dislike breaking the rhythm to fiddle about with menus.

Anyway, that's Fender off my shopping list. I prefer Eden kit, anyway.

2. ibmalone

I haven't used this one, but the bluetooth on similar amps is for using them to play sound sources like backing tracks, you still use a cable for the guitar.

3. 's water music

It might be a vulnerability if someone turns it up to 11 and blasts pink noise through it

I think a brown note might be more of a concern

4. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

It might be a vulnerability if someone turns it up to 11 and blasts pink noise through it

Well, she does make an awful racket

5. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge
      Coat

and blasts pink noise through it. Damage to speakers, amp or eardrums is a possibility.

I didn't think her music was *that* bad..

Yes, yes, leaving now. Mine's the one with the band patches on for bands nobody else seems to have heard of..

1. BongoJoe
        Windows

Mine's the one with the band patches on for bands nobody else seems to have heard of..

Band patches? How very late seventies and eighties is that?

We used to hand embroider the names and logos onto our denim jackets. Do you know how long it took me to hand embroider the cover from Rainbow Rising onto mine? And then some whippersnapper comes along with a jacket that his mum has sewn a Saxon patch onto.

Pah!

(old fogie icon ------> )

3. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

"abuse of features for unintended consequences,"

Sound like : "It's a feature... not a bug..."

1. Tom 7

Re: "abuse of features for unintended consequences,"

Has Fender employed an MBA? Its that kind of 'all the buzzwords and fuck the engineering' approach.

1. Killfalcon Silver badge

It's the Pen testers quoted as saying it's not a vulnerability. They seem to want to distinguish between "leaks private data/permits bank fraud" from "can make the screen go fuzzy/change the font".

It's probably a good idea to avoid sensationalism that makes people disregard pen-test reports, and if this is the distinction to draw, I can't say it's a bad one.

2. Simon Harris

Sounds like the same 'feature' that lets my neighbours take over (accidentally, I'm sure!) our LG soundbar with their Bulgarian music without needing a pairing code. Worse, as soon as the soundbar sees a Bluetooth connection, it switches input mode automatically away from a wired input, as if Bluetooth is the most important thing in the world!

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: my neighbours take over our LG soundbar with their Bulgarian music

Are you sure it's not Andy Irvine's influence on that Planxty stuff you like?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

This must be the first Andy Irvine / Planxty ref on El Reg.

Mine's the one with the Well Below The Valley in the pocket ...

1. jake Silver badge

Nope. Planxty was referenced here on 24 Sept. 2014.Sadly, it was an AC that posted.

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge
            Pint

Re: This must be the first Andy Irvine / Planxty ref on El Reg.

In addition to Jake's observation, have a bonus....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DehychgRSDk

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Where do you live? I want to live next to you

4. rmason

First person

First person to stream a self-help audiobook at an angry "britain first" type rally wins.

If you can call a handful of angry sad bastards a "rally"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder if it's also vulnerable to a buffer overflow attack? It could be expecting a few kilobytes but get a gig.

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

I think all data gets routed through the tour bus

I think all data gets routed through the tour bus

I don't think that "data" is how you spell "drugs"..

2. Tom 7

Buffy overflow shirely

for the old canucks out there.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Buffy overflow shirely

I think we should delay this line of reasoning. Anyone have any feedback?

1. Tom 7

Perhaps some fuzzy logic could harden up the data.

1. Korev Silver badge
            Coat

You're just stringing us along here, can you try to Marshall some order please it's all looking too distorted...

6. A K Stiles
    Joke

Maybe they need to transpose it to a different key?

7. Steve K
    Coat

Pairing

If you had pairing it might lead to Fender lock-in - there are always strings attached somewhere.

1. fidodogbreath

Re: Pairing

there are always strings attached somewhere

Typically, those are attached to the guitar.

8. Tom 7

I will not hear a word said against Fender

since I just found out my old Fender valve amp is worth over £3k!

And it will be worth a lot more now all the new shit has gone shit!

1. Mage Silver badge
      Windows

Re: I will not hear a word said against Fender

All this "smart" garbage needs to stop.

3.5mm & 1/4 jacks. Canon plugs.

Real knobs, not apps, up/down buttons or rotary encoders (unless absolute grey code).

1. King Jack
        FAIL

You forget about the flimsy USB connector. Why they didn't use the heavy duty B connector used on professional gear is unknown. I guess that they wanted to make shit that will break easily, steering you to buy a real amp. (by another manufacturer).

1. James Hughes 1

Recently found out my '86 Jap made Squire Fender Strat is worth £700! So Yay! for Fender, even the cheaper ones!

On the other hand my Marshall valve amp has never really worked properly. Must buy some new valves.

1. John 104

@James Huges

Have you picked up any new Fender guitars? Even their super expensive kit just feels cheap. Frets are poorly filed, action is crap, sound is crap. Its all just a huge marketing machine for wanna be rock stars to buy in to. As soon as they came out with fake road worn guitars, that was the end for me. The Japanese stuff is well made and worth the cash if you can get a decent one.

As for gimmic Amps. No thanks. Why would you want to play anything other than guitar through your guitar amp? The speaker isn't designed to play voices or deep bass, or whatever else isn't guitar. Or, at least, it shouldn't be.

I'll stick to my mid 80s Warmoth Boogie Body and my Orange Micro Dark in its custom cabinet with my nice sounding Eminence RamRod. Sounds fantastic, no pedals needed.

2. Stoneshop

Why they didn't use the heavy duty B connector used on professional gear is unknown.

And even those are pretty crappy.

For real roadie-resistant connectors Neutrik has USB, RJ45 and several other not-known-for-their-durability computer connectors, housed in their signature XLR shells. With matching chassis parts, of course.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Why they didn't use the heavy duty B connector used on professional gear is unknown."

Because this is hobbyist gear? As a working musician I'd consider the use of equipment like this for a professional gig to be quite foolish.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Bah, modern rubbish. Gut strings and friction tensioners for the win!

9. frank ly

"... presets that mimic famous guitarists' signature sounds."

I thought that was due to how you play it and fret the strings. (I've tried but I have two left hands.)

1. Joe Werner Silver badge

> I thought that was due to how you play it and fret the strings. (I've tried but I have two left hands.)

Yeah, in part. The amp, effects, and guitar (I'd say the pick-ups) and their respective settings also play a big role. Though no matter what equipment I had I wouldn't sound like (Richie / Jimmy / Angus / Yngwie / add or delete whoever)... (and I prefer playing other instruments, and I suck much less at those)

1. ma1010
        Coat

Well....

If you're left-handed, though, that could be very good.

2. Siberian Hamster

RE: Fender's 'smart' guitar amp has no Bluetooth pairing controls

"I thought that was due to how you play it and fret the strings. (I've tried but I have two left hands.)"

Go see your local Igor about that, I'm sure he could 'hook' you up with something different.

10. jake Silver badge

As a practicing[0] guitarist ...

... I'm fairly certain that I'm not alone in not wanting to use a telephone when playing. Who the fuck are they targeting these useless kludges at, anyway?

[0] The Wife says maybe if I keep practicing I'll eventually get it right.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: As a practicing[0] guitarist ...

Some of these 'useless kludges' have been widely adopted for real benefits, as you will have seen should you have attended a gig in the last few years.

iPad sound mixing desks are now common, and allow for on-the-fly sound mixing *from amongst the audience* - that is, the sound technician is hearing what the audience is hearing. I've seen bands in pubs use this to achieve subtly that one would normally expect of a studio recording. In addition to better sound for the audience, the mixing box can be left in the stage - so no awkward run of cabling is required to a traditional mixing desk in an acoustically compromised location.

Should any musician wish, they can use an iPhone to control the volume of their own monitor speakers.

It's in the tradition of technology and music, from Bo Diddley using a solid bodied electric guitar to Hendrix having a British boffin make him up effects pedals (and upsetting Jeff Beck in the process).

I don't see many bands using this Bluetooth Fender pedal, but the wireless MIDI (over WiFi) baked into all iDevices has been used in countless gigs for over a decade - it's straightforward, for example, to control a flange effect by using any sensor (orientation, acceleration, light) on the phone.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/tablet-controlled-mixers

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Here's Onyx Ashanti on TED. About ten years ago I saw him in the UK with an earlier version of his kit a deconstructed MIDI clarinet with with the virtual keys placed into 3D-printed glove controllers (The glove components are on Thingiverse, his code is on GitHub) - so that his arms are liberated. On each arm was strapped an off the shelf MIDI compatible multi-axis accelerometer - an iPhone.

I asked him about it, but he preferred that we talk about electric vehicle drivetrains instead.

https://www.ted.com/talks/onyx_ashanti_this_is_beatjazz/discussion

3. jake Silver badge

That's nice. I still don't want to dick around with a telephone/iFad when I'm playing guitar. Obviously, YMMV. Perhaps you have three hands?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Until the three armed guitarist, foot pedals remain the go-to solution to changing the sound. However, some guitarists over the years have wanted more subtle control over the effects.

Of course most amateur guitarists would do well to leave effects alone - as Keith Richards notes of the Rolling Stones "We try every song acoustic. If it doesn't sound good acoustic, it won't ever sound great if we play it electric"

1. jaywin

Of course most amateur guitarists would do well to leave effects alone - as Keith Richards notes of the Rolling Stones "We try every song acoustic. If it doesn't sound good acoustic, it won't ever sound great if we play it electric"

Alas, most amateur guitarists seem to believe 'if it doesn't sound good acoustic, I need to add more distortion pedals'.

1. Valerion

Alas, most amateur guitarists seem to believe 'if it doesn't sound good acoustic, I need to add more distortion pedals'.

When I was younger, and reached the level of "still shit" as a guitarist, I very quickly realised that anything I played on acoustic sounded terrible, but by plugging in, and whacking up the overdrive things would sound a lot better!

1. Zimmer
                Joke

..from the dim distant past..the acoustic sound was always sounding better after 4 pints of Newcastle Brown Ale..... the distortion ?... always better heard through earplugs....

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Guilty as charged yer honour..

In my defence I wish it to be read into the court record that a lot of the music I listen to uses an awful lot of effects..

3. BongoJoe

Come now. I wouldn't call The Edge an amateur.

On, the other hand...

2. ibmalone

While I'm definitely in the practising rather than gigging club, you don't really use it for live mixing. A foot pedal or two is obviously very useful for controlling a couple of effects (my old Mustang has no bluetooth, but does take a foot-pedal which works as a preset switch). A tablet or phone controller is less for changing while playing than making changes between pieces or experimenting with stuff during practice or rehearsals.

I've got an older mustang and the only controls on the cabinet I use generally are the volume ones, or sometimes the preset selector knob to pick one or two that are actually useful, for adjusting any of the effects unit settings having it plugged into a computer is pretty much essential, so being able to do that from a tablet would be handy. Reminds me, I've been meaning to get hold of an iRig now I've finally got a phone that will support it...

3. Toc-H-Lamp

As a player I already use a tablet for all the music so to flip to a different app and make a simple change from a 60’s jangle to a nineties grunge guitar sound would be good. Problem is, anyone within Bluetooth range can do it.

4. JDX Gold badge

Re: I still don't want to dick around with a telephone/iFad when I'm playing guitar.

Classical musicians are able to turn pages in their music while playing. Guitarists often tweak their guitar, amp and FX settings using both their feet and their hands.

I think you're deliberately misunderstanding the point of these features to make some point. Being able to play a backing track through your amp is a common practice feature and it's only natural BT would be supported as well as line-in these days. But maybe using your iFad to play music is also "dicking around" and you'd rather wind up the gramophone.

Using BT to tweak the amp settings is also something you would do in between songs or similar. The point being you can download dozens or hundreds of profiles on your phone and 'beam' one to the amp. TC Electronics have been doing this on their critically acclaimed TonePrint pedals as just one example.

5. 2Nick3
          Joke

"Perhaps you have three hands?"

Changing setups between songs is much easier with one button to hit on your phone than resetting a bunch of dials. Or trying to remember which settings on which pedal, in combination, you need for the next song. There's an use case for this.

Not making the band, or the audience, wait for the guitarist to tweak his amp/effects settings leaves more time for him to retune!

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Some of these 'useless kludges' have been widely adopted for real benefits,"

... for the mixer, not part of the band and definitely not the one playing on the stage. Even implying they are the same is a bad case of reality lost.

Anyone suggesting that the guitarist on stage stops to play, picks phone from the floor, browses through five menus to adjust something, puts the phone down, picks the guitar up and continues to play, is really far out.

No matter how gadget-fanatic he is.

Mixing guy is a full time guy, he has time to browse endless menus as he wish, totally different job.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

> ... for the mixer, not part of the band and definitely not the one playing on the stage. Even implying they are the same is a bad case of reality lost.

It was the band themselves - not me - that referred to their mixer as their 'silent band member' - he's working in real-time to ensure close-mic vocals are as clear as when the singer is further back. As I said, subtly in a live pub (albeit one known for having a very good PA) gig that traditionally one would associate with a studio recording.

>Anyone suggesting that the guitarist on stage stops to play, picks phone from the floor, browses through five menus to adjust something, puts the phone down, picks the guitar up and continues to play, is really far out.

No one's suggesting that. But if you have a multi-sensor control surface with out-of-the-box MIDI support lying around, it might be used to trigger a different set of effects between tracks, or adjust the monitor volume. As much hassle as switching guitar or putting a capo on - things bands often do between songs. It's a general purpose device, is all.

2. Wensleydale Cheese

"Anyone suggesting that the guitarist on stage stops to play, picks phone from the floor, browses through five menus to adjust something, puts the phone down, picks the guitar up and continues to play, is really far out."

Hey, I like far out music.

3. onefang

"Mixing guy is a full time guy, he has time to browse endless menus as he wish, totally different job."

I've done several jobs in music, including mixing.

Last mixing job I did was for a bunch of bands I'd never heard before, most of which didn't turn up for the sound check, in a tiny venue that wasn't built for live music. The last one was a loud heavy metal band that liked to scream really loudly into the mics, and there was a feedback problem. Especially when the lead singer started roaming through the audience, getting random audience members to sing for him, and trying to get me to sing. Both hands where busy riding the controls to keep the feedback to a minimum, and the volume up to 11. Luckily they didn't need the part of the desk that had scrolling menus. Mixing guy sometimes needs more then the standard issue number of fingers and hands.

I've also done R&D for analogue and digital music equipment. Sometimes the musicians need the fancy equipment with all those odd features. Sometimes they need them to interface with their ancient instruments that they love. At several points during that night, when the lead singer roamed the audience, I was wishing his mic was wireless. I would not have been fussy about what wireless technology was used if it was.

5. HieronymusBloggs

"Should any musician wish, they can use an iPhone to control the volume of their own monitor speakers."

If they don't mind the possibility of nasty phone interference noises through the PA.

6. HieronymusBloggs

"iPad sound mixing desks are now common, and allow for on-the-fly sound mixing *from amongst the audience* - that is, the sound technician is hearing what the audience is hearing. "

That's why front-of-house mixing desks are usually placed in (or behind) the audience. I sometimes see iPads and the like used for setting up the initial calibration of sound systems, but have never seen such a thing used for a main mix in a gig of any real size. Maybe we attend different gigs.

7. Phil Endecott

> iPad sound mixing desks are now common, and allow for on-the-fly

> sound mixing *from amongst the audience*

Or, as I have seen, *from the bar*, with the band trying hard to get the attention of the soundman because the vocalist's mic is totally off. He is too distracted by the barmaid (or a website) to realise.

2. ibmalone

Upvote for practicing :)

Actually, the control is fairly useful for modelling amps like this. Turn off network mode on your phone (or use a tablet) and you can then use it to switch presets and effects, you can get mic-stand phone holders for the purpose.

11. AS1
    Coat

Jazz 2.0

With original Jazz, the audience could only follow passively, but now with Jazz 2.0 control has passed to YOU, the audience. Now you can upload settings and hear how the band responds. You can even upload your own tracks and see, in real time, how an audience responds to your personal awesomeness. Jazz 2.0 - where YOU are more important than the band.

Mine's the one with a very non IoT penny whistle inside.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Jazz 2.0

Good live bands have always responded to the audience.

1. Stoneshop
        Mushroom

As do bad live bands. By erecting projectile-resistant fencing at the edge of the stage.

Only mediocre live bands just play straight on.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

By collecting their phones and sealing them in a bag before the gig starts, so they don't spend the whole show waving them around in front of their faces and wrecking the experience for the people behind them who turned up to see the band.

wrecking the experience for the people behind them who turned up to see the band

Can we also get gags issued? I've paid to listen to the band on the stage, not you yakking on to your mates about how much beer you drank at the weekend and how drunk you got.

For some reason, this can get particularly bad at prog gigs. If there was ever an audience that you would have thought had come to hear them music it would be them but, no, yakkers abound.

3. AS1

@Dave 126

Yes, but this experience will be better.

(Just to be clear, I've no issue with a box having easily programmed presets that can be swapped deftly between tracks; I can see this would be useful. My issue is the apparently naive decision to leave the wireless access unsecured.)

2. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Nice.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes, but does anyone *need* a solar powered whoopee cushion ?

Is all I can think' of ....

1. frank ly

Re: Yes, but does anyone *need* a solar powered whoopee cushion ?

Perhaps if the sun shines out of ......

13. Mike Brown

First person to hack it play brown noise, wins!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Standby

If using it for gigs in the evening, I hope it doesn't have a standby mode. Rhythm and Bluetooth can only be woken up in the morning.

1. Alistair
      Joke

Re: Standby

It best come with four whole chickens, an order of dry white toast and a coke.

15. MJI Silver badge

Won't be an actual problem

Guitars from Fender, Gibson, or some other company like Yamaha or Ibanez

Amps from Marshall

So no problem

1. Laura Kerr

Re: Won't be an actual problem

Upvote for mentioning Ibanez. Gorgeous instruments.

16. Someone Else Silver badge
    Coat

They do, however illustrate that vendors are adding smarts to all manner of technologies without also adding intelligent security controls.

Dumb smarts. Nice!

17. Sam Therapy

I'll stick with my old, non IoT Marshall, thanks.

18. Clive Harris

If it's not full of valves...

If it's not full of valves then it's not a real guitar amp.

(Recently finished building a replica '60s Marshall design - all valve, point-to-point wiring, sounds lovely)

1. jake Silver badge

Re: If it's not full of valves...

Them ain't "valves", pardner. Them's "tubes".

Do you say "electron valve", "vacuum valve" and "cathode ray valve"?

1. Clive Harris

Re: If it's not full of valves...

>>Them ain't "valves", pardner. Them's "tubes".

Do you say "electron valve", "vacuum valve" and "cathode ray valve"?<<

Nah. Fender amps (being American) are allowed to have "tubes" in them. Marshall's (being British) use valves.

2. Someone Else Silver badge

@Clive Harris -- Re: If it's not full of valves...

Presented for your approval (or not; I really don't care): The (original) acoustic 360/370 bass amp [Emphasis definitely added!]. Not a tube or valve to be found anywhere near it, but it is the only amp, living or dead, that has approached my ultimate of standing roughly 10 feet in front of it, hitting the low 'E' string, and having it knock one's feet out from underneath one.

19. Bitbeisser
    Devil

So they didn't bother to put in the more secure (cough) default pairing code of "0000"? Shame on them.

I think I pass both a Sam Ash and a Guitar Center on my way to clients today. Sounds like a fun day... LOL

20. EJ

My wife's new VW Alltrack has Fender-branded speakers in it. I'm assuming this means someone can steer us off a bridge with their smartphone, all while subjecting us to very bad tunes as we plunge off the side.

21. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Facepalm

Fender Bender?

...to borrow a phrase.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Fender Bender?

Well, I bend the strings on my Big Block and Strat on a regular basis ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like