back to article Drones replace models on Dolce & Gabbana catwalk

Fashion house Dolce and Gabbana has replaced human models with drones. The company staged events in Milan over the weekend and, as Fashionista reported, kept the crowds waiting for over an hour on Sunday while displaying multilingual and insistent requests to turn off anything capable of connecting to or creating a WiFi signal …

1. m0rt

Underwhelmed.

And that is an overstatement.

A huge overstatement.

2. Oengus

Models vs Drones

Fashion house Dolce and Gabbana has replaced human models with drones.

The amazing thing about this story is that someone noticed...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The logical conclusion

When you can't starve the models any further to get them even thinner, what's a responsible fashion house to do but dispense with the skin entirely?

4. jake Silver badge

I wonder if ...

... there is a single reader of this august rag that cares. Or if any knew that "Dolce and Gabbana" even existed prior to the ElReg article? I certainly didn't.

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Re: I wonder if ...

@jake there are indeed as-yet-undiscovered species of amoeba I care more about than drones deporting themselves as anorexic models.

However, Dolce & Gabbanna used to make the most divine fragrance - D&G Red - which my significant other wore on our second date and has enchanted me ever since. Alas they stopped doing it some years ago and our supply has dwindled to nothing. Now that I do care about, though I suspect I'm in a minority within the commentard community.

2. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

See comment from "MyffyW" below. One reader knew about D&G. And FWIW there's an ice cream bar down here called "Dolce and Gelato", deliberate pun. Not all poison insects and mines down here.

1. jake Silver badge
        Pint

I stand corrected. This round's on me.

I used to append "but then I'm probably outside their demographic" on comments like that. Maybe I'll start doing it again ,,.

I can show you poison insects IN mines not to far from where I type (black widow, brown recluse & assorted scorpions .. the tarantulas prefer the border between grasslands & mixed oak scrub) ... you lot don't have a monopoly on either concept, you know ;-)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

"Or if any knew that "Dolce and Gabbana" even existed prior to the ElReg article?"

We may be nerds, but not so complete ones - and, think, some of us have female friends, sometimes a real girlfriend, and maybe even a wife. And may be forced to follow them on the occasional shopping spree. D&G is a well known and sought after brand.

I prefer Armani for my non-nerdy (hopefully) elegant look, though... :-P

That they used drones and had to care about wifi interference is still a tech news, IMHO.

5. wallaby

don't remember seeing them at primark

1. Mage Silver badge
      Boffin

Primark

Though they may have just as good dresses, bags, sunglasses.

~

~

~

Made in the same or similar Chinese, Bangladesh, Turkish or Indian factories.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

"I asked Chanel to explain itself. The company didn't return my emails"

It looks El Reg has issues with any fashion brand....

1. caffeine addict
      Joke

Re: "I asked Chanel to explain itself. The company didn't return my emails"

Hey! Apple isn't a fashion brand. It's a lifestyle choice.

2. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Re: "I asked Chanel to explain itself. The company didn't return my emails"

Strange, they've been covering the Channel for years

7. mix
    Unhappy

disappointing

I assumed the drones had a clothes hanger on them with clothes on it, that would have been much more interesting and controversial. They missed a trick there, it might have even made mainstream news.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: disappointing

It actually did make it to BBC R4 World at One news program (with the Today program and The World Tonight one of the triumvirate of BBC heavyweight radio news progs) yesterday

1. Mage Silver badge
        Megaphone

Re: Today Program

The BBC Today Program used to be heavyweight till the BBC hired a paper magazine person, who is trying to abolish journalism and replace it with propaganda, magazine and lifestyle items.

2. Stoneshop
      Coat

Re: disappointing

I assumed the drones had a clothes hanger on them with clothes on it,

In that case the only difference with live models would have been the buzzing sound.

8. Elmer Phud

Why oh Why oh WHy?

Did they put up such a huge advert for :'come and screw our drones over' and NO-ONE took up the offer?

"kept the crowds waiting for over an hour on Sunday while displaying multilingual and insistent requests to turn off anything capable of connecting to or creating a WiFi signal."

Are drones really THAT flakey?

1. m0rt

Re: Why oh Why oh WHy?

Some pretty influential and powerful people in that audience, probably. Imagine what would happen if something went wrong and a drone or two went berserk.

Would you take that risk? :)

9. venarez

Next the crossover we've all been waiting for

Next top model meets robot wars. It's the logical next step

May be a bit off yet though as there was not one flip from those drones, poor show

10. pavel.petrman

"imprinted with lines of code"

Oh please, just stop it.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Misery

Did they paint the drones with a miserable expression like the models usually have?

12. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Just say no,....

... to vertical video.

I'm not watching that again, but I don't think I saw anyone holding their phone in landscape.

13. Teiwaz

Chanel?

I thought it was just the way french people referred to that bit of sea thankfully keeping the english some distance away.

14. DNTP

Obviously there were no techies in the crowd.

We won't tell you why, but please turn off anything with WiFi, don't try to connect to anything? Challenge accepted.

15. BigG
    Trollface

No plus-sized drones?

1. DNTP
      Trollface

"Plus-sized" for a drone has been legally defined as massing over 250 grams. All the drones in this show are plus sized. This is a great day for the progressive acceptance of larger body types. I expect this social validation will be met with approval from a, hmm... large segment of the IT industry demographic.

16. onefang
    Paris Hilton

If us IT industry demographic types are now fashionable and chic, will I now become popular with the sexy model types? Or only if I'm sporting a high price tag on my massive hard disk?

Paris, coz she can peta my hard disk any time, with or without the high price tag. No byting.

17. Mark 85
    Black Helicopters

Drones with sunglasses...

Obviously with all the legal wrangling over ID-ing drones, the drones want to be incognito... They've become sentient and are learning from celebrities.

18. Mayday
    Coat

That person in front's phone PIN

is 5556

19. Lingormr

The big question though is...

Are those sunnies peril sensitive? Do they encourage a relaxed outlook to death?

20. Bitbeisser

Well, they probably got got screwed by their usual models going on a binge eating tour. Won't happen with Dolly Drone...

21. Ikoth

Drones replace models on Dolce & Gabbana catwalk

Good.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like