back to article Arm emits designs to add iSIM tech to Internet of Stuff

Arm has made public the designs to shove SIM technology into ever more connected gizmos by building an iSIM, along with a cellular modem and microcontroller, onto a single chip. The move, which is likely to heap further pressure on cellular networks, is expected to significantly reduce costs and shrink SIM size by dispensing …

1. MrRimmerSIR!
    Headmaster

Arn or ARM

No 'arm in asking.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Adding a secure identity to IoT devices through the iSIM is a good thing, but is unlikely to be a global panacea for ongoing IoT security headaches.

Not necessarily. There is nothing easier than isolating a set of devices into a private network based on mobile identity. It also makes it unnecessary to have telnet and all other legacy management interfaces - you now have a crypto identity which you are obliged to use for the device.

So if the choice is between 4.4 Bn devices running default chinese software tripe and 4.4 devices running a reference implementation of SIM SDK the latter is definitely a better option.

1. Christian Berger

Well your 4,4 billion devices will usually be behind some sort of NAT. If there's a bug in the SIM-card implementation you can trigger it from the network.

If I was an operator I'd be very reluctant to allow this on my network. If you hand out 1000 SIMs you have a guarantee that you'll only have 1000 users or less. If you hand out a key you never know how many devices will use it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, once we have all these mobile network connected devices how are the mobile networks going to cope with this extra demand?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

So instead of...

Just popping another SIM in your phone, you have to jump through several hoops to switch providers when your abroad ?

Not to mention all the privacy issues...

5. Aslan

No sim, No sale!

No discrete removable sim, I won’t be buying it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

Zombie Future not far away

Mikko Hypponen said in a Twitter post that IOT was mainly for manufacturers to know more about every aspect of your lives ( Paraphrased). Well the Internet is just a more sophisticated ARPNET.

And here we have the iSIM, the connection you have, before any other connection......

and Micrsosft is releasing "Always Connected Windows 10 PC"

Systems for Always connected hardware. Using Qualcomm's Snapdragon 835 ARM processors will work on all four major US networks,

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/02/always-connected-windows-on-arm-machines-coming-this-quarter/

Cyber-jacking is not far away.

This is My Stop, it seems like this is where I get off. Take care now!

{wanders off}

Retro sounds good, I think I get out my old analog electronic music & acoustic instruments, I've been wanting to do.........

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Zombie Future not far away

Retro sounds good, I think I get out my old analog electronic music & acoustic instruments, I've been wanting to do.........

I've been going back to the 1970's and trying to get my DIY Synth working. It was based on the ETI design. I got most of the bits from Maplin...

7. SuperFrog
    WTF?

Softbank Duh?

No coincidence that Softbank and Sprint own ARM?

Some "ARM" twisting going on?

8. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

The Promise: "You'll be able move the SIM card to your next phone..."

The Reality:

Sorry, your Full-size SIM is too big; now you need a Mini.

Sorry, your Mini-SIM is too big, you need a Micro.

Sorry, the 3G network requires a new SIM card.

Sorry, your Micro-SIM is too big, you need a Nano.

Sorry, we don't cut them down.

Sorry, the tool is either $35, or $5 and a month delivery.

Sorry, when you switch carriers, you need a new SIM.

Sorry, the 4G network requires a new SIM card.

Sorry, security update. Here's your new SIM.

Sorry you lost your phone and SIM card.

Sorry, the new phone doesn't even need a SIM.

Yes, I've successfully moved a SIM card to a new phone. Just once.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like