back to article Bad news: 43% of login attempts 'malicious' Good news: Er, umm...

An extraordinary 43 per cent of all attempted online account logins are malicious, Akamai claims in its latest internet security report. "Credential abuse" is an increasingly popular line of attack, thanks in large part to the readily availability of huge user/password databases that has been stolen and are sold online. …

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

What's wrong with Anthrax Candy?

Anthrax Candy is nice. Especially with Yersinia Pestis icing on top.

I am surprised it is only 43%. I would have expected something in the 90%+.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. m0rt

Re: What's wrong with Anthrax Candy?

Same here. I use fail2ban but surely if you take a superset of All Login Attempts, then the automated SSH attempts must make a massive chunk of those malicious ones?

1. defiler

automated SSH attempts must make a massive chunk of those malicious ones

My home SSH server finally got broken into last year. Should have had Fail2Ban installed before. I now have a VM in a different VLAN with only one user on it, that only accepts SSH. If I want in further then I have to tunnel into the internal network.

I remember the days when a DMZ was fancy for big business. Now I need one at home.

Also, if the SSH server gets compromised, I can whip it offline, rewind it to a clean snapshot, change the password and set it going again. Yay for VMs.

2. Pen-y-gors

Not sure about logins via login screen, but the amusing one is looking at system logs and the insane number of people robots trying to login to a Wordpress admin panel. Bit strange as I don't run Wordpress (obvs).

That's closely followed by the vast number of attempts at a SQL injection.

One would think that ISPs could come up with some tools/scripts to identify and block these scum - they are wasting a lot of bandwidth to no real purpose.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

99% in the logs I've seen on systems around 'ere

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

" secure coding.., timely patching, proper device configuration, and prudent password management, "

As they would for the 7 decades.

It's not the "Acts of $Deity" that depress me.

It's the mind numbing banality of the bulk of this s**t.

As it no doubt will be when we enter the 8th decade of computing.

<sigh>

1. Mark 85

Re: " secure coding.., timely patching, proper device configuration, and prudent password...."

Let's also add..."User stupidity is beyond belief." because "password" is still the number one login password. <sigh>

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Unhappy

Let's..add..."User stupidity is beyond belief." because "password" is still the #1 login password.

And people know it is as well.

I'm guessing the usual user justification is roughly

a) It's no big deal, IT can handle any breaches.

b) I don't handle any important data so why would anyone bother.

c) I don't have many privileges so why would anyone bother.

Note how H&S is handled. H&S is everyone's responsibility, and Managers are additionally responsible for the H&S of the staff they supervise. I'd suggests infosec should be viewed in the same way, starting with the CEO.

3. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

a new trend of enterprise systems being targeted, not only to steal their data, but to steal their computing resources,

And which can only get worse as "the cloud" becomes more dominant, especially as people lose poorly-secured mobile devices with apps pre-configured with all their login credentials.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

If someone were to code a crypto miner that only used max 10% cpu (or an unused core for example) do you think it would fly under the radar for longer?

2. BebopWeBop

From our own experience, pa55word and passw0rd seem pretty popular (by the frequency of attempts to break in). Shame that even if they did get a password 2 other layers of security including 2FA would kick in if they ever got past this :-)

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
        Headmaster

*passed.

Sorry, I couldn't not respond to that. :)

1. Alister
          Headmaster

Sorry, Sir Spoon, but I think "past" is correct in that sentence, see here:

https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2015/01/07/passed-past/

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
            Facepalm

Fuck. Now I look like a right twat, thanks :)

I'll leave my original comment up as an object lesson to myself to check my facts before jumping on a horse :)

1. Alister

Sorry mate.

I admit I wasn't at all sure until I looked it up.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'As to how to protect yourself or your company'

How about extra Security options in Account-Settings. Let users set Geo-IP restrictions and boost Login-retry wait time. Not foolproof, but still better???

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 'As to how to protect yourself or your company'

That's great, except most users are also the cause of problems.

No 2FA, too much hassel, changing passwords, I'll forget them, lock my phone and miss that important selfie etc.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: 'As to how to protect yourself or your company'

I now have 5 2fa code generators about my person. It's starting to get a bit unwieldy :)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Email address as username

At our place, we don't use email addresses as usernames.

The vast majority (like 99%) of malicious login attempts still do try to use email addresses. The other few are things like "root", "admin", "support", ... equally invalid in this instance.

Therefore, by not using an email address as a username, we thwart most of these attempts right off the bat. Naturally, we still insist on decent passwords and have rate limiting and various other schemes in place.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Email address as username

Concur.

Having a username != officially visible email is a mandatory first line of defence.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Unhappy

Having a username != officially visible email is a mandatory first line of defence.

Sadly, it is not.

6. Alister

As others have said I'm surprised that the quoted figure is only 43%, but then their data collection only accounts for an unrepresentative sample of the problem.

Anyone who administers internet facing servers of any kind, be they web, email or whatever, knows that a high proportion of each day's logs will be taken up with automated login attempts of one sort or another.

7. oldcoder

On the good news side - It said "43% attempts"...

Which means they failed.

On the bad news side - 57% were successful, and you don't know how many of those were malicious.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Strong passwords

If your passwords are strong they won't guess them.

But one major UK official site I had to register with yesterday had rules that were incompatible with the strong passwords Safari was generating for me. Something to do with hyphens I think. So I had no choice but to set it to "password".

1. defiler

Re: Strong passwords

So I had no choice but to set it to "password".

That was silly. You're supposed to set it to "strong_password". Much more secure.

1. BebopWeBop
        Happy

It wouldn't accept the _

1. Peter2 Silver badge

And if it's the same one I suffered with some while ago, it also limited you to something like 8 characters.

9. Chairman of the Bored

Quick suggestion to take it easy on your logs...

...change your default SSL port to something like 223. You've obviously disabled root login over ssh, require key-based credentials, etc already.

Obviously this does not increase security in any real sense against a human attacker as nmap will see your new port... But in my case avoiding port 22 eliminates about 90pct of the robocall activity I've got to wade through in my logs.

Any crap activity I've got on new ports is from a person or bot that actually bothered to map my net, and that tells me something I should know right up front. Key here is to improve your signal to noise

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon