back to article Oi! Verizon leaked my fiancée's nude pix to her ex-coworker, says bloke

A bloke is suing Verizon Wireless in the US because, he claims, personal pictures from his Verizon phone, including intimate snaps of his fiancée, turned up on the phone of another subscriber – who happened to know her. "On February 8, 2018, the plaintiff discovered for the first time that Verizon’s advertisements about the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

former coworker

I'd be wondering how he knew it was her vagina.

To be fair it could have been anyone.

1. Notas Badoff

Re: former coworker

Well, you're maybe half right...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

What are the odds

That her former coworker just happened to be the one affected by this mysterious cloud problem? Seems FAR more likely that the fiancée sent two men the same nude selfies, and managed to get her way too gullible man to believe "wow, must be some sort of a Verizon issue" and he believed it so fully he's suing.

She better hope that Verizon's attorney doesn't look to deeply. If Verizon logs show MMS of identical sizes sent to both men on/around the same days it will basically prove she was lying - and any man who is upset enough about this to take it to court will almost certainly be upset enough about it to break off the engagement when he learns the truth.

Probably the co-worker showed the pictures to someone who "recognized" her (hopefully her face is in some of these otherwise she has a distinctive tattoo or really gets around) and her man found out.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: What are the odds

She probably sent them by mistake. I have been accidentally texting a female friend who has the same first initial as my wife so is the next on the list of contacts and due to my near vision ageing. Texts were meant for my wife, luckily they were just me whinging about traffic.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yeah; I believe you. Did she reply? ;-)

2. Adrian 4

RTFA. The recipient notified the woman that he had the pics. He's hardly likely to do that if she's likely to have sent them on purpose, and she presumably had the chance to avoid telling her fiance.

3. matjaggard

MMS? Are we still in the 90s?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Crash test dummies?

2. Phil W

Indeed it's extremely unlikely that any pictures were sent by MMS, if they were there's be less of a problem due to the crap resolution.

Far more likely is WhatsApp or similar end to end encrypted platform meaning evidence will be hard to corroborate with logs, the only solution would be to show the pictures in court.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

When I was in school, back in the days before mobile phones, a friend of mine would often end up phoning his girlfriends house instead of his own if he forgot to first dial the exchange code (he lived just on the edge between his exchange and hers/our schools)

1. imanidiot Silver badge

"ANY women's naked body looks TWENTY THOUSAND times better than a guy's"

I sincerely hope you do not truly believe that, because there's plenty of evidence to be found on the internet to thoroughly destroy any notion of this. Naked women can be just as grotesquely, horrifyingly disgusting as any males body.

3. Steve Evans

MMS? Are we still in the 90s?

Coincidentally, one of my friends sent me an MMS of a classic car he'd spotted which he knew I'd appreciate just last weekend...

Yes, I did reply "Nice... But if you sent the pics via whatsapp/telegram/email etc, I might be able to see more than the 2 dozen pixel in an MMS Grandad!".

I can't remember the last time I received an MMS before that though... It was probably the same friend though.

4. Barrie Shepherd

"What are the odds

That her former coworker just happened to be the one affected by this mysterious cloud problem?"

Stranger things happen. I had a problem with myVoIP PSTN number in Sydney once. Instead of reporting my DDI number if forwarded a totally different number. So I called the number and was surprised to have it answered by a friend the other side of Sydney.

No way was it a config issue at my end as I did not know the guys VoIP number and the VSP admitted it was a config issue at their end.

So yes coincidences can happen in the Tech World.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"So yes coincidences can happen in the Tech World."

True, but for it to be some sort of inherent problem, surely by now someone might have noticed odd photos appearing on the phones that they didn't take before this amazing coincidence happened,

5. Phil W

"What are the odds

That her former coworker just happened to be the one affected by this mysterious cloud problem? "

I wonder if rather than a cloud problem it's some sort of in-store content transfer service when you buy a new handset. It sounds like the phones were bought in the same store, which is likely given they are former co-workers so presumably live near each other, so this could easily be another staff cock up in-store.

6. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Depends where the fault is.

If it's a fault which at some point involves the phone's contacts list the probability is much higher, thus the fact it happenned to this person increases the probability that it's that kind of fault.

Personally I consider all mobile phones to be inherently insecure, but I know that's not a popular standpoint.

1. martinusher Silver badge

>Personally I consider all mobile phones to be inherently insecure, but I know that's not a popular standpoint.

Unpopular it might be but its true. I assume that nothing is private or anonymous unless I securely encrypt it myself using procedures that are guaranteed not to leave plaintext copies lying around. (No, I'm not paranoid -- I'm not important enough to have information that needs to be that secure -- but if I did then I'd be kidding myself if I thought that providers would keep my information and identity confidential.)

3. Stevie

Jewelry? Artwork?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agree on that....it could have been ANYONE....BUT....with a woman's body being displayed in all their naked glory, it will be looked at MUCH CLOSER THAN any guy's naked body. It's a good thing that if ANY nude photo of me ever got out on the internet, the repulsion felt by most people seeing a naked fat old f$%^& WILL THOROUGHLY DISCOURAGE ANY FURTHER SHARING!

Sometimes NOT looking like an Adonis (or Aphrodite) works to one's advantage when it comes to the Internet photo-sharing culture! Let's face it! ANY women's naked body looks TWENTY THOUSAND times better than a guy's, so of course it will be shared at 100x the rate of any male's naked photo!

It may be political dynamite to say this, but on the Internet, the photo-sharing rates between men's and women's nude photos are so disparate that by definition, the fall-out effects on a personal and professional basis will outlast and be waaaay out-of-proportion compared with a man's nude photos.

1. 9Rune5

"ANY women's naked body looks TWENTY THOUSAND times better than a guy's"

No. Just plain wrong.

Reminds me of the time my wife and I argued for a week about the gender of one of our neighbors. I was convinced it was a bloke (it probably wasn't). Either way, I think we both agreed on not wanting to see ANY naked pictures of that person, on the internet, in an art gallery or anywhere where our travels may take us. I am a staunch supporter of data security now that I come to think of it.

Further more, men are more handsome by default. As proof I offer you the sales statistics from the cosmetics industry, which is heavily reliant upon women buying their crap by the bucketful.

5. NoneSuch Silver badge

I'm sure the cops will insist on a line-up.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

plaintiff’s fiancée's vagina

who's what's?

p.s. sorry, that photo illustrating the story, where exactly did YOU get it from?! ;)

fell off the back of a low-flying drone, I see...

3. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Thumb Up

It's catchy

The "mobile gisnt" typo actually sounds pretty good. I say keep it.

4. Phil Kingston

"Fuller said Verizon hasn't explained how the highly private images escaped onto the other guy's phone, but he speculated that something went wrong with Verizon Cloud, the US mobile gisnt's online storage service for photos and files."

Well he would say that wouldn't he? He's gonna be raking in lawyer fees and hoping Verizon pay Smith off just to make the case go away and Fuller can pocket a sizeable percentage of that settlement.

Everyone else though, I suspect we've got a more believable idea of how those photos ended up there.

1. robidy

So why have Verizon not just slapped it down...surely they have logs...

1. TRT Silver badge

And he's a logger.

1. Blotto Silver badge
          Paris Hilton

is logger some american slang for *anker or *osser?

Paris as she's american.

1. TRT Silver badge

It means he uses his chopper, and photographically documents the axe wound.

2. Hero Protagonist

He’s a lumberjack

and he’s ok...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. LucreLout
            Joke

Paris as she's american.

And no stranger to a bit of wood.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Need more info..

No, not more of THAT info...what I meant was...

How did the photos appear to the third party?

Did they appear in HIS "cloud" amongst his own pictures or were they discovered on an unsecured cloud?

Besides, every cloud "privacy" policy I've ever read says that anything uploaded to it can be used by the vendor (or their "affiliates) or sold to whomever buys the company when they go tits-up.

Also, depending on what apps are installed on the device, this data might get slurpped up and sent to a different cloud by some bogus "cleaner/battery saver/antivirus/anti-hacking" app.

1. Phil Kingston

Re: Need more info..

I've got $10 that says the images arrived on that device by a method other than Verizon's cloud.

2. robidy

Would be good if you could read and give details on the verizon one he is covered by.

3. Wensleydale Cheese

"every cloud "privacy" policy I've ever read says that anything uploaded to it can be used by the vendor (or their "affiliates) or sold to whomever buys the company when they go tits-up."

An unfortunate/appropriate* turn of phrase, given the story's subject matter.

*delete according to mood

1. Montreal Sean

" "every cloud "privacy" policy I've ever read says that anything uploaded to it can be used by the vendor (or their "affiliates) or sold to whomever buys the company when they go tits-up."

An unfortunate/appropriate* turn of phrase, given the story's subject matter.

*delete according to mood"

Well, short of photographic evidence we don't know if they are up or down in this case...

I'll get my coat.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PEBKAC (or, I guess, Screen And Chair)

1. big_D Silver badge

Partially at least, what sort of idiot stores those sort of images in a cloud?!? Everybody should know by now, that anything on the Internet isn't private.

7. Banksy

Where's my compo!

Verizon must have some sort of activity logs that would show exactly how these photos arrived on the ex's phone? My guess, the fiancée sent them to the ex.

P.S. Pix or it didn't happen.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Where's my compo!

Or the ex knows email and password. As in, when were they last changed?

Then they got caught some how, like accidentally leaving the account open when taking their own selfie = instantly found out on the fiancees phone when it resyncs with the exs ex photos!

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. mr.K

Four million dollars?

It is hard to assess the value of quite a lot of things and thus also hard how to compensate the loss of such thing. But these lawsuits you have over there are just ridiculous. It is not even she that sues. How on earth does the damage caused by ONE other person seen your girlfriends vagina amount to four million dollars?

1. John Stirling

Re: Four million dollars?

I'm generally against big law suits, but on this occasion I disagree with you, and agree with the plaintiff.

In US terms $4m sounds ridiculously proportionate - in that actually the crime is a) technical error, and then b) saying bollocks to you unless you get a big lawyer.

If the issue is genuine then I sincerely hope Verizon get a seriously bloody nose in public for being complete arseholes.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> How on earth does the damage caused by ONE other person seen your girlfriends vagina amount to four million dollars?

If the direct cause of this was a breach of security or even worse, plain malfunction, of one of their services handling private customer data, the potential consequences could be catastrophic¹ and four million seems way too low.

¹ Instead of a few selfies it could have been sensitive business intelligence, intellectual property, plans for world domination, etc.

1. mr.K

"..could have been.." Can you sue for things that could have happened in USA?

1. jelabarre59

"..could have been.." Can you sue for things that could have happened in USA?

Unfortunately, yes.

3. Cuddles

"How on earth does the damage caused by ONE other person seen your girlfriends vagina amount to four million dollars?"

The point is punitive damages. It's not that the victim suffered so much that only $4 million can make them feel better, but that the perpetrator needs to be fined enough for them to actually notice and, hopefully, do something about the problem. It's the same reason everyone complains when the likes of Google get fined $100k or so; when you're raking in billions that's not even a rounding error.

Or for a more flippant answer, at least 95% of it goes to the lawyers, so they need to ask for enough that the plaintiff actually gets something.

1. mr.K

Thanks for informing me of punitive damages. A term I have heard lots of times, but never have really taken the time to read up on. Now I have, and looking back on my original statement I have to say I have to let it stay. Maybe refine it a little and just say that punitive damages is mindblowingly ridiculous.

Civil lawsuits should be that somebody asks the state to settle a dispute and possibly decide a compensation for a loss due to said dispute. If it follows that crime might have been committed then the state should bring up criminal charges in addition. Financial gain (as in gain and not compensation) for any party should never be the outcome.

1. Cuddles

"Financial gain (as in gain and not compensation) for any party should never be the outcome."

While I understand the sentiment, levying a fine from one party must always result in another party having an equal financial gain. You can argue about how big they should be and who should get the money, but unless you disagree with all fines in principle you can't say that no-one should gain from them because that's impossible. Even in criminal cases, where the majority of money goes to the lawyers state, it's common to have some kind of victim surcharge or restitution fund.

Also:

""..could have been.." Can you sue for things that could have happened in USA?"

Yes, of course, for the same reason things like attempted murder or driving while intoxicated are crimes. It's not necessary for actual harm to be done, only that an action is deemed to have sufficient potential for harm that legal penalties are justified to discourage it. There's no reason civil suits should be any different - if someone attempts to harm your reputation, the fact that they're not very good at it doesn't mean you can't sue them for defamation.

On top of that, it's worth remembering that you can sue anyone for literally anything. Cases that are obviously without merit will generally be thrown out almost as soon as they're filed. The fact that someone attempts to sue for what looks like a stupid reason, or asks for what sounds like a stupid amount of money, doesn't imply anything bad about legal system; it's the outcome of the case that actually matters.

10. Proud Father
    Happy

Pics...

..or it didn't happen.

11. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Happy

Vagina + 1 Logger

The Vagina Monologues

with thanks to Eve Ensler

12. Chairman of the Bored

Logger is just mad because....

....the other guy "got wood" and he didn't.

Methinks the lady doth sext too much.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When will these

shallow, vain, privacy and self respect ignorant fuckwits cotton on to the fact that there is only one way to stop images of your gentleman vegetables and ladies front bottoms appearing all over the fucking internet and that is to not take them in the first place.

It's not rocket science.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Besides, what kind of numbskull takes pics of the fugly parts ?

Topless pic ? No problem there.

Nude pic ? Why not.

Pussy pic ? Why ? Are you a dog ?

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

@Pascal Monett

Pussy pic?

I am sure Mrs Slocombe would have taken a picture of her Pussy.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Mr Fruit and Nutcase, Leave my Pussy Alone!

Paris Hilton

@AC

Leave my Pussy Alone!

Seeing as one of the protagonists is a Logger...

Do you have a Beaver?

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Just Fish Lips.

2. Kane
        Joke

"Pussy pic ? Why ? Are you a dog ?"

I take it you're not an admirer of the female genitalia then? Friday nights must be fun with you...

14. Bush_rat

Well...

It could've been a Verizon problem with some very coincidental events, or maybe she sent the same pictures to her fiancé and ex-coworker.

I know where my money is...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you insist on snapping nudies...

Why not use an actual photo camera instead of a phone? You'll get better quality images, the images will be stored completely offline and so there's no risk of exposure unless you want to and best of all: most have an auto timer so you could even be in the picture together!

Seriously though, I don't understand why anyone would want to snap pictures like this. That is.. I do understand but fact of the matter is that you'll have a much more enjoyable time together if you keep those moments for what they are: private and therefor special.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Coat

Re: If you insist on snapping nudies...

"no risk of exposure"

Isn't a photo without exposure a bit pointless?

Yeah, the one with the light meter in the pocket ----------------->

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If you insist on snapping nudies...

Take pictures with a camera, take them down to Boots to get printed then post them to the recipient?

Sounds perfectly secure.

16. Triumphantape

It's a scam, and they are all in on it.

Mind you not that I mind if Verizon gets scammed.

17. Stevie

Bah!

Mistake number 3: Storing images in a third-party cloud shared by millions.

Mistake number 2: Using a permanently networked device to copy the image to another permanently networked device.

Mistake number 1: Taking the photographs on a phone.

You wanna do nortypix, fine by me. I enjoy looking at them just like everyone else (I just admit to it rather than screaming with fake outrage which is the fashion right now).

But for the love of Snowden and Man Ray stop doing it on a device that uses a third ) and a fourth and a fifth and who knows how many more) machines, each with it's own cache, to store and/or copy that image. If driven to celebrate your pride in you body pictorially, use a trad digital camera and if you must share your snaps, print them at home. Even then you are one scan or re-shoot away from World Fame.

There is no such thing as private information on the internet. All of it is just one ALT-PRNT SCRN away from being broadcast fodder.

18. John H Woods Silver badge

Vagina?

Endoscope required? Did they mean vulva?

Re: Vagina?

@John H Woods

Endoscope required?

A Bivalve Vaginal Speculum, the instrument of choice for a gynecologist?

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Did they mean vulva?

Vagina, Vulva, Verizon. Very confusing

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
        Coat

@Fruit and Nutcase

"Vagina, Vulva, Verizon."

I came, I saw.... Never mind, I'll get me toga.

Coat

@Zog_but_not_the_first

I'll get me toga.

Ode to Love

The Vestal Virgins

Up Je T'aime

Saluté!

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

fuck em

if you're stuid enough to put pictures of your missus' muff in cloud storage, you deserve a fappening.

seriously, fuck dumb people. you shouldnt be allowed techology.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: fuck em

Maybe they misunderstood when someone said the internet is full of cat pictures.

2. MachDiamond Silver badge

" you shouldnt be allowed techology."

Naw, it's ok. The rest of us get fresh loads of nudie photos every week. Even better, we might also get a name and number to avoid or not. Those people should be banned from whinging about it but let's not stop them from delivering the goodies.

Check the servers at your work. The less than adequately gray matter endowed will store phone backups on the company server without thinking that they might be duplicating a few intimate selfies in the process.

1. rmason

We've got 150GB and rising of music scraped from everyone iTunes.

You're entirely correct. Backups of phones abound, they tend to have them stuck where they know their "stuff" gets backed up.

2. SquidEmperor

I knew there must be a reason why the backroom IT guys all have hairy palms and glasses. Mother was right!

20. MachDiamond Silver badge

Cloud = public

Step one, don't have nudie pics on your cell phone. They have a tendency to want to migrate.

Step two, anything stored online is potentially public. Don't store anything online (or backup etc) that can come back to haunt you.

Step three, don't take naughty pictures of your SO that will get out and end your relationship.

21. fengwhite

IT guys have access to bits and bytes that form nude photos and other private stuff, it's surprising we don't hear more about it. I guess this time someone who actually cares witnessed a privacy breach.

22. HieronymusBloggs

"discretely copied"

So they copied them a bit at a time?

1. 's water music
      Headmaster

Re: "discretely copied"

Well I guess it was a separate transaction from the one they were asked to perform and, since they were caught, they weren't that discreet

2. Marcelo Rodrigues
      Trollface

Re: "discretely copied"

"discretely copied"

Copy. Or do not Copy. There is no try.

23. Paul Stimpson

I'm going for finger trouble

My first suspicion in a situation like this would be that the initial recipient of the message may have inadvertently shared the folder. For example, by sharing the folder's parent or grandparent folder without realising that sharing action would cause the folder's children to inherit these same options from their parent.

+1 on the "staff will look and may leak" theory too. I had a friend who worked in a photo lab in the old wet film days. The company had a policy of not giving adult prints to customers so any such prints were removed from the packs of photos at the quality control stage. The removed prints were, however, not destroyed. The staff used to pin them up on the wall for their own enjoyment. The best advice was always "If you want to make images that wish to remain private, get your own darkroom gear and make them in an environment you control."

1. D@v3

Re: your own darkroom

Or, a Polaroid camera

24. Sleep deprived
    Happy

I got those pics too

but didn't know who she was. I'll now get in touch.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why all the victim blaming?

What is it to you that someone else likes taking pictures of themselves in whatever state of dress or undress, that they like sharing it with whoever else they chose, or that they have a legitimate expectation of a service provider not incurring in negligence?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why all the victim blaming?

We have a problem with people trusting cellphone companies.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I suppose the Virgin Mary was a victim too? Raped in her sleep by the holy ghost and certainly not shagging the postman on the sly?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I don't think they had postmen back then.

26. TrumpSlurp the Troll
    Linux

Not really covered so far

There could be 1,000s of phones with copies of these pictures. Only one of them owned by someone who knew the lady. More likely than the only copy going to someone she knew.

Pengi likes them.

27. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

My theory

Is that one party legitimately had these photos on their phone and that phone developed a fault so was returned to the store.

The store then either repaired the phone or not, but then sold it on without wiping the data off it.

No cloud storage to blame, but because "OMG!! cloud" (ie something that they don't understand and is someone else's responsibility), that's where they point the finger.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The way to stop this sort of thing is to not put pictures of your intimates out on the Internet into a public cloud...

29. Gordon Pryra

its all ones and zeros

Computers don't make mistakes, and if they do, then a system that is used by literally millions of people would be flooding the world with pictures from peoples cloud storage.

You would have more chance of winning the lottery for 3 consecutive weeks than a "bug" selecting a naked photo of a women out of a number of files and sending that image to a random person who just happens to know her.

Then again I have had to sit and waste my time talking to a couple (friends of the wife) about how you would go about "hacking someones hot mail" when the husband found out his wife's email open and in her sent items were messages to other men." She claimed it wasn't her, he WANTED to believe her, I had to explain how hard it would be to do this, and that the big question "why" came up. What I wanted to do was scream in his face "DON'T BE SO ****** STUPID!!"

30. zanto
    Angel

i'm ready...

to move on from the Asus beach girl.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like