back to article Judges dismisses majority of Cisco's 'insane' IP defence against Arista

A US court has agreed to dismiss most of Cisco's IP defences in its long-running antitrust dispute with rival Arista Networks; the latter had previously described them as "breathtakingly broad, unprecedented and insane". The ruling is the latest in Arista's antitrust case against Cisco, filed in 2016, two years after Cisco …

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Sounds like a classic "Big US Corp" Defense.

"We are f**king huge and can do whatever we want."

Except it seems they've met a judge who understands technology and the IP law around it well enough to call "Bu***t" on that.

Anyway, didn't Cisco start by modding a copy of the Linux kernel to begin with?

1. dave 81

Re: Sounds like a classic "Big US Corp" Defense.

They will just appeal and get a judge who is clueless. Much like the oracle vs. google lawsuit. 1st judge got it right, the rest didn't.

2. Lee D Silver badge

"well enough to call "Bu***t" on that."

bucket, budget, budlet, budrot, budzat, buffet, buglet, bugout, bulent, bullet, bullit, burbot, burget, buriat, burket, burlet, burnet, burnut, buryat, buryst, bushet, busket, buyout

Nope.... I'm lost...

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Butthurt?

Seems like they are.

3. yagb

I hate to burst your bubble, but the Cisco AGS was released circa 1986, predating the Linux kernel by about 5 years. And, to be polite, the Linux kernel's networking support in 1991 would not have been something you wanted to build a networking appliance on.

Believe it or not folks, IP networking predates Linux...

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Unhappy

"but the Cisco AGS was released circa 1986, predating the Linux kernel by about 5 years. "

Duly noted.

Doesn't make Cisco a better company.

2. outnumbered

Cisco Systems pre-dates Linux by some years.. But it's true that there was a legal dispute over the IP that the founders exited Stanford with, when starting the company. The dispute was settled with a payment that looks rather small in hindsight.

1. TSandman

IOS-XE (Newer Cisco Switches & Routers) & NX-OS (Cisco Nexus) both runs on top of Linux, much like Juniper uses BSD with Junos OS on top

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

F*ck Arista

We should support innovators and generally be wary of monopolists or large corps. But Arista is not some underdog or noble fighter for a just cause. It's a bunch of disgruntled ex-Cisco guys who were pissed they didn't get a big payout, so they jumped ship with a bunch of stolen IP and opened their own company.

Now they act as if they are some poor poor underdog being beaten by the big bad megacorp when in reality it's just a money grab.

Bullsh*t. F*ck 'em.

1. DougMac

Re: F*ck Arista

Arista took a pretty different direction than Cisco at the time of founding.

I'd argue that they were innovative at a time where Cisco was stuck in the mud spinning their wheels.

Since then, Cisco has followed them, and that is why I think Cisco is flinging sue-balls at them.

4. JaitcH
    Unhappy

Since When . . .

have U.S. judges worn wigs?

1. LB45
      Joke

Re: Since When . . .

"Since When . . .have U.S. judges worn wigs?"

Well the judges name is "Beth" so..... you'll have to ask the judge.

5. Yes Me Silver badge

They may argue

"Cisco may argue that it never had monopoly power or a dangerous probability of attaining monopoly power..."

Well, they may argue that but it's ludicrous; they were very close to a monopoly for many years.

6. EveryTime

I wish we had a third choice for voting on posts: 'I disagree with your opinion, but your post is still on topic"

The disagreement over the history of both Cisco and Arista is a good example. It's useful to know that Cisco started with IP copied directly from Stanford, and Arista was started by Cisco guys that cribbed pretty heavily from what they had before.

The companies screaming loudest about the 'their' IP always seem to be the ones that have skeletons in the closet.

I'm old enough to remember Lotus suing spreadsheet software companies over using the same spreadsheet commands.. which Lotus had copied from Visicalc. Lotus justified it because they had bought Visicalc a few years before... using the money they had made selling their clone of Visicalc.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like