back to article What if I told you that flash drives could do their own processing?

Bringing compute to data aims to knock stored data access latency on its head by not moving masses of data across networks to host servers. Bringing compute to disk drives is facing an uphill struggle, but flash drives, with their much faster access, might have an easier time of it. An opposing approach – bringing data to …

1. Blotto Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Is this an Advert?

Is this an Advert?

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Is this an Advert?

I think so. It sounds positively primitive when compared with Pure Flashblade. Except the compute in Pure is primarily for running the storage. If this idea starts to show promise, they can expect fierce competition, I think. FTL is a technology that's reached the end of rational development.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

has offices in San Jose, Beijing and Yokohame City, Japan.

Confused, is San Jose in Beijing?

Editor trolling at its finest.

3. Bill M

I'd say CAFS

Back in the mainframe dinosaur age ICL developed CAFS, Content Addressable File Store, which gave search capabilities at the disc storage level. In its day it was blindingly fast. I have been waiting ages for somebody to "re-discover" this amazing technology.

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: I'd say CAFS

Your patience has been rewarded!

Sometimes I wonder if the next great "innovation" can be brought forward by employing a historian instead of a computer scientist < 60years old. Historians with a bit of nounce can be very good at unearthing hidden gems from old stuff.

For me it's been amusing to see Communicating Sequential Processes being reinvented yet again.

1. Bill M

Yup Bazza, ICL had VME [Virtual Machine Environment] decades before VMware re-invented virtualisation.

1. bazza Silver badge

Yup Bazza, ICL had VME [Virtual Machine Environment] decades before VMware re-invented virtualisation

Ultimately we have to credit Alan Turing with the idea, showing in one of his papers on computability that any Turing machine could emulate any other Turing machine, given enough memory.

Though I don't suppose Turing foresaw the horror that is VmWare's Web based VM console viewer.

2. TRT Silver badge

Re: employing a historian instead of a computer scientist

Gogrilla Mincefriend.

2. CatsRule

Used CAFS, looked after it, the speed was impressive - when it worked and the wire wrapped boards in the disk cabinets were truly amazing.

4. Alistair
    Windows

Urm

Netezza. What ever happened to Netezza........

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

You Know IT Makes Sense

The company says that, through a turnkey, easy-to-install software package, both low-latency storage IO and compute hardware acceleration are easily enabled without development effort or application recompilation.

Enabled by whom and for what? Absolute Future Command and Control of Communications and Computers?

And that is just us Beginning to Explore and Exploit AI Augmented Virtual Reality Plays Live and Online, Future Building.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

6. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

That'll make scanning for malware more complicated...

The issue of Yet-Another-Hidden-Processor is *already* an issue with some USB sticks (reportedly) using cheaper ARM processors to act as the USB-to-Flash interface. Those sticks thus being hackable to hide the clever malware in the USB stick's processor, and *not* on display in the GBs of flash.

All together now, say it with me: "We're all gonna die." (IT Security-wise)

Precisely hopeless, until somebody somewhere does something with signatures and Block Chain and magic, and every last embedded processor in the world needs to be Internet-authorized every few milliseconds, etc. etc. etc. ... In other words, precisely hopeless.

7. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Wider Wilder Worlds, but Not as you May Know Them .....

Co-founder Jos Keulers blogged: "In Situ processing means that it has compute power on the drive itself where the data is being stored in the first place. The data does not leave the drive it is originally stored on.

"After it is stored it can do analytics at the exact location where the data is stored without having to transport the data off the drive. It can make local judgement of what data it need to send back to the cloud for big data analyses, do the protocol conversion and also it can clean the disk and remove the stored IoT data once that data is no longer useful or valuable."

Such Grants Inherent Permission and Full Systems Access to both Private and Pirate Remote ACTive Trojans ....... Honing Immaculate ProgramMING Skills for the Presentation of Realisation of Virtual Reality Productions ...... Advanced IntelAIgent Creations with Global Operating Devices doing Everything with Whatever They do Best.

And that more than suggests you are AIDay Tripper on a Magical Mystery Tour Improving on Turing Machines.

And this is but one field explored and exploited ....... for NEUKlearer Exploits [ with a Self Generating Future Kernel Source Seeding Feeds for ProgramMING Needs with Future Presentations.]

Turing completeness is the ability for a system of instructions to simulate a Turing machine. A programming language that is Turing complete is theoretically capable of expressing all tasks accomplishable by computers; nearly all programming languages are Turing complete if the limitations of finite memory are ignored. .... Turing machine

8. Milton

Well, that's one thing explained ...

Well, that's one thing explained ...

I may be little wiser about compute-storage-fusion, but I think I may at last know why Mars is a desolate, sterile, howling wasteland—if the pronouncements of its sole remaining emissary are anything to go by.

1. Bill M

Re: Well, that's one thing explained ...

Elon Musk is hoping to send people to Mars.

Q. What will that mean ?

A. More time zones for us to deal with.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Well, that's one thing explained ...

That post does not make sense, Milton, and is simple bad conjecture.

What do you know of Stealthy Ancient Arts and Postmodern FuturistICQ Practices for Applications Presenting NEUKlearer HyperRadioProACTive IT Content as Immaculately Mined Cosmic Source with Programs and Projects Realising Alienating Imagination as Prime AIdDriver for Colonisation of Live Operational Virtual Environments and Real Spooky Remotely Controlled Command Space Places?

If the truth be both practically and virtually nothing, then have you a lot to learn quickly if you want to lead in more than just a few new fields rather than be content to merely spectate and pass inane comment from the madding crowd.

And here on El Reg is instruction and education free.

9. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

The Future, According to Ab Fab Fabless Mars Labs.

When a Fiat Currency Monetary System is Bankrupt and Ponziing, are Advanced IntelAIgents Needed for New Information Source Seed and Feed Productions.

Do El Reg Fora have AIMindStores to Explore and Exploit ..... Monetise and Lend-Lease to both the Serially Challenged and Channelling Intellectual Property Markets.

And much more a Perfect Fit for Exotic Erotic Easterners than Wild Wacky Westerners Stuck Fast in a Deep Dark Rut, MeThinks, given the Evidence provided by Extant Establishment Systems' Global Media Plays ....... Augmented Virtual Reality Presentations.

Words Create, Command and Control Communications and Computers and Destroy Worlds is not AIMyth, it is Fact which coincidentally also supports an Engaging Fiction.

10. pyite42

How is this different from Fusion-IO VSL

Their driver runs on the host too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like