back to article Military techie mangled minicomputer under nose of scary sergeant

Welcome to the fourth edition of Who, Me?, The Register's new column in which techies share their shameful secrets. This week, meet a chap who asked to be called "an apprentice human" and who told us he once worked "at an Australian military training establishment in a coastal country town." It was the early 1990s and as this …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah, that.

My last job was on a military base where one room had a power disconnect switch for the entire room which got pressed at the end of operations. Something about military fire regulations.

They were supposed to check that techies hadn't, say, left a machine re-imaging its hard drive, before they pressed the button. Some days they actually did. Other times a re-image took four attempts.

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

In one machine room I've been in, the light switch and emergency power off are next to each other behind the door as you enter the room. We've pleaded with the electricians to move the light switch, but they said it was impossible. I think the sparks are having far too much schadenfreude.

1. Shadow Systems

At A Non e-mouse...

While I was working as the IT guy at my son's Elementary school, I solved a similar situation with Duct Tape over the switch that controlled the computer outlet. That way we could still do the Jedi Hand Wave gesture to slap off the lights but not have to worry that the computers would crash.

Then I convinced the educational masters to buy a UPS of sufficient capacity to handle the load for longer than a TseTse fly fart, installed them on the computers, & could safely remove the Duct Tape...

Except I didn't. Too many impish BOFH's in training that liked to flick switches "to see the blinky lights!"

I'm so glad I no longer do the IT support at that Elementary school. =-J

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: At A Non e-mouse...

We've actually taken the pump control buttons off one of our units (a water pump you'll not be surprised to hear), because school and office caretakers / staff / dogs / aliens(?), just cannot stop themselves from playing with them. After a few too many site visits to fix "broken" kit, we did a re-design. You now need a remote controller thingamajig to work them - which means everyone else has to pay 150 quid, in order to have another piece of junk in their toolbox.

2. John Lilburne

Re: At A Non e-mouse...

At my secondary school in the 1970s the 6th form common room had a kitchen, and hidden in one of the cupboards was an large isolation box, where ine could turn off power to the lights and wall sockets of most of the school blocks and to individual floors. The teaching staff never knew it was there and could never work out why 10 minutes into some boring Shakespeare play that they wanted a class to hear the power to the wall sockets went off in the English block, or why a planned French oral exam tended to suffer outages.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"but they said it was impossible"

On the other hand fitting a cover is pretty easy.

3. Mi Tasol

Getting a copy of the relevant Standard and dumping it on the electricians desk and saying "show me the paragraph that says why that is impossible" often works.

About thirty years ago (way back when you could not get electricity installed in Victoria, Australia, without an SEC inspector checking out the installation) we had an inspector refuse to approve the installation because the meter box was too high off the ground. We bitched to the sparky who did the job and he gave me a photocopy of the latest standard - two years old - that gave where he had set the meter box as being the minimum height. Rang the SEC and asked for a re-inspection by another inspector but they said he was the only one for that suburb so we went over his head to his manager who passed it sight unseen.

3. Empty1

buttons

I've seen similar where he door release button was next to the emergency stop button.

At a hot standby datacentre in a bunker. "'twas the BT man really!"

1. no_handle_yet

Re: buttons

Well of course, we 'ad it tough. We 'ad th'ermengency button int middle, door release above it and light switch underneath. But we wur 'appy.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You were lucky to 'ave a door.

2. Alistair
      Windows

@ Empty one:

Our mix (one red, one blue, 4 inches apart, left of door, just at hip height, no covers, no labels) was in the primary data centre.

It was suggested that we label the red one "Executive Exit Button" after a certain upper management type hit it not once, but three times over about 6 months. (after which someone got smart and wrapped a case over it)

3. macjules

BT "Redcare" once installed a secure telephone line for an burglar alarm for a department I worked at. The moment the engineer finished his 'installation' the entire department's network connection out of the building went completely offline - not very funny when you consider that this was an online analysis tool used by the police and others.

A somewhat reluctant BT engineer was called back to fix the problem, with threats of being handed over the police should he fail to turn up, to show us what he had done. He wanted to use the existing trunking for his telephone line but could get his cable all the way in, so his solution was to cut another cable out so that he could get his one in, in its place.

1. Niall Mac Caughey
        IT Angle

Many years ago, back when God was a boy, a friend of mine worked with the Post & Telegraphs (told you it was a long time ago). One Monday morning he was dispatched to a Department Store who had found all of their outside lines were missing.

He found all lines live at the termination point inside the building, so it was a case of tracing the cables. He tracked them upstairs to an office with a brand-new carpet, fitted over the weekend. The 50-pair disappeared into the floor and then re-appeared further down the room. Investigations on the floor below having proved fruitless, he grabbed cable and pulled....

It turned out that a heavy-handed carpet fitter had managed to slice through the 50-pair with his Stanley knife. Being a resourceful chap he had drilled two holes in the floor and pushed the cut ends into them.

2. JimboSmith Silver badge

I had a fun day when all the comms were out at a showroom which I was due to visit the next day. The manager had received a call at 8pm from the alarm firm saying that the there was a problem with the line. She'd gone in to check and found out that the entire street was out not just one showroom. I was called and filled in on the problem & I then had to call the telecoms provider. I explained very patiently to the provider that we had a useless showroom if it had no means of selling anything using a card when it opened. They promised me that they'd have it sorted and not to worry. Turns out someone digging in the road had cut through a cable duct because they had the plans upside down. Then the comms provider called me back and said that they'd hopefully have Openreach round to the road by the end of the next day. So we had a day of virtually no sales* whilst they fixed all the lines. *One bloke came in and paid cash, lots of cash which needed to be counted. We took the opportunity to have an impromptu session on correct cash handling and checking procedures.

3. Rob Daglish

I don't believe a BT engineer would put a cable in trunking. I have, however, seen them use a tacker to staple _to_ trunking...

4. John Lilburne

Not on the machines but we have security door release switches next to light switches. At least twice a day the lights would go out. Then they had sticky labels next to them saying "This is light switch" so the light would only go out twice a week. Now the switches are different with the security door release being a green blob. But which side of the door they are located on is random. Some times on the left, sometimes in the right, so as people walk down a flight of stairs they act like Robbie the Robot from Lost in Space as their arms flay about trying to locate the door release button. Haven't heard them crying DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER yet, but that is sure to come.

4. 45RPM Silver badge

Shome mishtake surely?

You mean 1980s rather than 1990s don’t you?

500MB Pr1me would have been state of the ark in the nineties. Nice mini though - for its decade.

/pedantmode

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: Shome mishtake surely?

We're talking about the military here !

2. Nick Kew

Heh. I was going to ask about that.

My recollection of Prime comes from the mid 1980s. Though to be fair, even at the beginning of the '90s, a half a gig would have been a d*** big disc.

1. Muscleguy

Hmmm, we bought a Mac Centris 650 (the Centris line was the last one before the Power PC chips and architecture came in) in 1993 and it came with a 500MB HD, in a standard beige box configuration. It has only recently died.

I would replace it except I have no means to bless the startup volume or make a startup disc (Zip or CD, I don't mind) with the system install software on it. The floppy drive died decades ago.

A nice Catch 22 which I will solve. The youngest and her beau are into old tech so they might be able to help.

1. localzuk Silver badge

You can get a Quadra/Centris 650 on ebay for less than $100.

Loved the Quadra line. Was a great computer when I was growing up.

2. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
          Coat

You might find some help here: https://www.reddit.com/r/VintageApple/

...and there's quite a bit of software (including old OS images) here: http://macintoshgarden.org/

(icon is the closest thing to a Mac)

2. macjules

I recall working with some video companies who had 4Gb 7200 external SCSI drives around 1992. The drives had to be practically bolted down due to the noise and torque.

3. Keith Oborn

Fujitsu "Eagle" circa 1988, about 474M and 1/3 of the British Standard Washing Machine.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@45RPM you are absolutely correct. From the details of the story, it occurred either at the Army Officer Cadet establishment in Portsea, Victoria, or at the RAAF Academy in Point Cook, Victoria - which is more of a suburb of Melbourne.

In any case, both establishments essentially moved to Cuntberra as part of ADFA (The Australian Defence Force Academy) in 1986 - which fits with the observation about the hardware.

5. choleric

The box

Funny how something so basic can save so much bacon. Sometimes the old hacks are the best hacks.

6. Christoph

The mainframe room had a big red emergency power button on the outside wall in the open office, so you could hit it after abandoning the room for instance for a halon dump. So normal blank office wall with prominent protruding red button in the middle.

Not just "I wonder what this does?" but possible to bump into it by accident.

Later they fitted a box over it.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is "one I made earlier".

Mainframe evening shift - all the cabinet surfaces piled high with card boxes for the overnight runs. A system programmer is waiting for his dedicated hands-on slot. He leans back against the cabinets - and that pushes the boxes back against the unprotected Red Button.

The next week he is there again. This time he avoids that previous mistake. He finds a nice body-sized gap in the row of cabinets and leans against the solid wall.

The gap hadn't been there the previous week - it was created to prevent the card trays piling up in front of the Red Button....

After that a plastic core from a papertape reel was taped over the switch - so it could only be pressed by a finger.

1. Stevie

Tape Reel Core

Yet another reason paper tape was and always will be superior to punched cards.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Tape Reel Core

"Yet another reason paper tape was and always will be superior to punched cards."

Large quantities of cardboard card boxes were exchanged overnight via internal courier vans between two major mainframe sites. When lychees appeared in a shop in Queensway - for a very brief season - a few of the boxes were useful for fulfilling orders taken during the daily support staff phone calls.

8. Chairman of the Bored

In a briefing to some very senior officers...

Acronym FFF should have been explained as "Fast Fault Finder". I briefed it as "Final Fsckup Finder" My boss looked like he was going to shoot me until a flag officer laughed himself silly and shouted, "Fsck yeah! That's what I need.". Suddenly my boss looks real friendly. How odd.

9. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"500MB hard drives the size of a clothes dryer, but much louder."

My only experience with Prime was at the end of a few hundred miles of telecoms cable. At that distance they were inaudible.

1. Paul

they had some Pr1me computers for CAD software at Leeds University. I think I might even have the little "getting started" booklet they issued of common commands.

1. John Lilburne

Was one of them MACHINE DUCT PICTURE?

10. Paul

I once had a sparky fit an emergency power off button for the bank of UPSs in our computer room. It needed to be somewhere near the door.

So this is where he fitted it:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12629882@N05/2984032016/in/album-72157626308470071/

And if anybody banged the door open too quickly...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Color blind

In one of our switch sites we used to have 3 break glass panels,

Red for fire,

Green for emergency door release,

Yellow to dump the FM200 fire suppressant.

Every Tuesday was a fire alarm test, the security guard would go to one of the fire alarm points and insert a little 'key' in the side of the panel which tested the button, (see where I'm going here)

Well this Tuesday was a guard who was new to the site, and it turns out the yellow break glass panels have the same test key hole!

It also turns out that hitting the break glass FM200 dump, doesn't give the normal 10sec warning bell it just dumps instantly, cue some very shaken up contractors who got a lung full of FM200 and one security guard who was hastily re-assigned to less technical buildings.

I'm told it was about 60 grand to get the FM200 refilled as well, lucky this was one of the smaller sites.

Plastic lift up covers appeared over the yellow panels not long after that.

1. ricardian

Re: Color blind

Oh yes! I'm red/green colour blind and it was a long time (several years!) before I knew that Microsoft Word had different coloured underlining to distinguish between grammatical and spelling errors. I was a programmer for a large Civil Service department based in Cheltenham and there was a rule that colour should never be used to distinguish between items/icons on a computer screen

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I work on a floor with 3 big red STOP buttons. When they were first installed we pointed out the hazard of unprotected buttons but were fobbed off with 'as planned' and 'lives could be put at stake'. After a couple of very expensive accidental STOPs someone found some suitable angle brackets and over a weekend these miraculously screwed themselves to the wall to form a protective 'box' round each of the buttons. That was 20+ years ago. No further STOPS, no lives lost and H&S and electrical checks regularly pass

13. xeroks

For some reason mainframe machine rooms seem to be filled with devices that cause mayhem to many people.

In my first week as an op. I managed to power down one of ours twice.

That thing that looked like a desk with the monitor on it? The desk was the console, not the monitor. If *desk* is powered off, the whole thing goes down. And the designers put a power switch under the desk, exactly where you would rest your feet...

The designers also thought our mainframe would look good if it had some nice solid worktops. Solid enough for temporarily putting stacks of mag tapes on, great for preparing your work for the evening. However, they didn't think it would be a good idea to put a cover on the little control panel on the side. You know, the control panel that you could accidentally press with your thigh while temporarily piling mag tapes onto the worktop.

Remarkably I never hit the unprotected "emergency off" button by the door, but I know a couple of people who did.

1. PhilBuk

The console on our IBM mainframe S/380 (?) looked just like a 3270 terminal except for big green and red buttons at the top right of the keyboard. Red was the off switch. It soon gained a metal cover after one of the operators accidentely hit it whilst going for one of the top right keys.

Phil.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The System 4-70 mainframe had two small buttons on the console desk's panel - in a recess so they couldn't be accidentally pressed. They were identical white buttons which could also light up.

One was engraved with "COIN" for the operator's console interrupt to provoke command prompts on the operator's teletype. The "POWER" one toggled the automatic power up/down sequence for the mainframe and its peripherals. Once started it went on resolutely until it was finished.

One or two of the Operating System programmers were allowed some hands on use of the prototype machine - so they could test their mods for the new processor. Then came the day when the first production machine arrived. The prototype now went offline to be upgraded to a prototype 4-75.

The systems programmer arrived for his slot - and sat down at the new machine's console. On pressing his first "console interrupt" - he quickly discovered that the two buttons' positions had now been exchanged by some designer's whim. It took a while for everyone to unlearn the reflex action - and there was always a risk for anyone who used both machines.

14. Steve Aubrey
    Flame

Hard stop

Back when I was a tike, I worked on an IBM 360 - an E30, if I remember right. It had an emergency power cutoff button on the front of the console, close to all the blinkenlights.

Nobody ever tried it, but the word was that the button would trigger a guillotine blade with a heavy weight, physically severing the power connection to the machine.

And of course requiring a visit from the friendly (and expensive) IBM service tech to repair.

Icon for the only job-sustaining reason for hitting the button ==>>

15. Phlogistan

Simply Baffling

I could not fathom why anyone would *ever* install a BRS without immediately following up with a Molly Guard

1. Chairman of the Bored

Re: Simply Baffling

I can see the reasoning... In a panic people can forget to undo the guards. But that assumes one practices and drills enough to get muscle memory in the first place.

War story - when I had periodic, all-expense-paid travel to a very sandy, hot locale in '04 through '06 I saw two very different approaches to handling sidearms on base. Unless the nitrogenous waste is actively hitting the rotating aspirator, we (Marines) keep our pistols on base in condition 4 - magazine well empty, no round in chamber, weapon safe. So does the Army. Sand and crap gets in your weapon, and you are constantly cleaning it. That's life. Unless you're Army, in which case you put a piece of foam in place of the magazine to keep the weapon clean.

Guess what happens when it hits the fan? Army will shove the mag right into the foam and get a free paperweight. I don't know if anyone died due to that particular bit of stupidity but I can easily see it happening.

Guarantee someone somewhere died because in their stress they couldn't get the guard off a BRS

Mines the one with lots of lube. See ya.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

We did an office fire fighting course - mostly to gain familiarity with small pure C02 extinguishers. It was stressed that it was very important to remember to remove the safety pin from the trigger. Otherwise you would probably bend the pin when you squeezed the trigger - and then it would be difficult to remove.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
          Facepalm

& don't hold the nozzle.

Frozen nozzle to hands will be.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Grab a shovel.

Did I just hear three distinct clicks?

an initial erroneous flipping of the switch on the right, followed by a hasty corrective flipping of the requested switch. Then, during the resultant darkness and silence, a third, shameful unflipping of the initial switch. Is my assessment accurate?

17. Chairman of the Bored

Another war story....

...if you're gonna build something with a BRS, make sure it can be TESTED without causing all hell break loose. If it's not tested, it doesn't work. Guaranteed.

Working around a big, hairy power supply. 40kV @5A is memory serves. Insulation breakdown, arc to ground. Not a happy little arc, a pucker up and make a diamond ... mean ... freakin' bright and scary arc. Overcurrent protection? Crowbar? Nope!! Senior tech, an older gentleman, does a highly athletic vault over workbench - must've cleared it by half a meter - pirouettes, hits BRS. Nothing happens. That's when it got real. Post mortem? BRS was never connected. Never tested, either.

18. MatsSvensson

I D I O T S to blame.

How the hell is it not obvious who is NOT to blame in this case?

If I had been the one who turned out the light, and someone with sub-human intelligence had wired the shutdown together with the bank of light-switches, id Fucking DIE before i would take even a tiny bit of that guys blame.

19. wallaby

I worked for a large Aerospace company in Britain for many years, they decided to do a data centre consolidation to reduce costs.

On the Friday night they took the systems offline, backed them up and on Saturday shipped all of the tapes by road to the new site some 150 miles away. By 7pm on the Saturday they had failed on a critical milestone so the person in charge of overseeing the migration called for it to be reversed.

The driver of the truck after dumping his load of tapes at the new site had driven the 150 miles home and was busying himself in the pub. The area where the new site was was pretty sparse in trucking companies and as it was pre internet no online resource to find any. They ended up hiring a fleet of taxis to bring the thousands of tapes back in their boots, back seats, passenger footwells and probably ashtrays as well.

By Sunday evening the systems had been restored. As the doors to the server room had been wide open since Friday things were getting a little warm in there. They called maintenance to have a look at the chillers to make sure everything was OK. The maintenance guy walked over to the main chiller \ power distribution wall and pulled the server room master power switch and not just the chiller power.

All of the old IBM DASD disk packs powered down, she swore and pushed the power back on spinning the disks back up part way through their spin down cycle.

12 hours later, 5 minutes before the Monday morning shift were due to come in, we managed to get the factory systems online. I had been on overtime since 5pm Friday all the way through.

Next week we tried again, all sorted by 7pm Sat so not so good an earner

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Switches

While installing a retail banking system in one of the bank's NYC branches one night about forty years ago, I sat down at a teller position to ponder a problem while colleagues took a break with me. I was idly fiddling with the unusual sliding latch on the drawer at the counter in front of me. But it wasn't a latch. Minutes later the police were knocking on the drive-thru window behind me. I turned to face them as they shouted an inquiry about what is going on. "We received a hold-up alarm." Then I realized what I had done, oh shit, and confessed. So one of the bank VPs who was with us just looked out and said, "No, no problem here." And the police left. Really. It happened that way. But it gets better.

Police showed up again at the front door about 20 minutes later. "No", we said, "you guys were already here." Cops checks on his radio... "Oh yeah... the call is old. Never mind. 'nite."

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Pirate

Re: Switches

Been escorted off & back into a bank aft Brinks Mat security turn up at a bank I was working at, they should be advised of our presence & were hit with a fine if we called it in that we were escorted out.

Also had another when upgrading the servers overnight, all I could hear was rattling of the security screen & shouting - I assumed it was locals pissed that the ATM's weren't working, until I damn near found myself at the wrong end of a angry armed BM guard.

21. tinman

I am pushing the button

MRI scanners usually also have a Big Red Button so they can be shut down in an emergency. As use of this subsequently costs £10K+ to replenish the helium that is vented off and it takes several days to recalibrate it is normally protected by a molly-guard. but sometimes the button is just disconnected as in this case where an acute incident was prolonged by hours whilst they waited for an engineer to shut down the system

https://medicaldialogues.in/ge-pays-rs-1-crore-settlement-to-technician-who-got-stuck-in-mri-at-tata-memorial/

1. Chairman of the Bored

Re: I am pushing the button

Pinned to machine for four hours, with massive internal bleeding. Poor bloke had one hell of a day. GE got off easy... I think the 10mil rupee settlement is something like $150k US. If this had been UK or US they'd have been nailed but good.

At what point does it occur to management to find the main and cut it?

22. Demosthenes Locke

Fifteen minutes, a dental-floss box, my pocketknife, and some superglue later, that switch would have a nifty new safety cap on it that would have to be uncovered before the switch could be turned on OR off.

I don't care WHAT the electricians say can or can't be done. If I had more time and under $50, I'd remove the switch from that box, run a piece of Romex or BX a foot to the side, and put the switch into a surface-mount box of its own, complete with a security cover over it, perhaps with a key lock. Nothing is impossible when it comes to wall switches, there's just things that they don't WANT to do because it would be difficult, people would bitch about its appearance, or they'd get yelled at over some zoning or code regulation.

I'd get the thing done, and if someone had an issue with it, I'd tell 'em it's a personal problem, go talk to the Chaplain.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Three disks, pulled hot from a HSG80 without prepping for removal.

Exchange server for a local authority flat on its face immediately.

Down for two days.

Big oops, big red face.

Anon for obvious reasons.

24. JC runner
    Facepalm

What is that horn for?

I was working a really important site. Names changed. So I decided to drive into work that day. There was a shuttle we normally took, but I wasn't in the mood. So as I turned off onto the site road I notice my Cassette player was not playing the normal static it would get as I closed in on the site. Weird I thought. Anyway, sign in and head to the office. There was a long hallway you walked down to the security door that lead to the floor. Entered the code and open the door to be meet by silence. Did I mention this was a full computer floor with the accompanying devices and Mainframe CPUs (4)? So this noticeable silence was not a good thing.

The off going crew is in a huddle looking perplexed. So I inquire what is going on just as my boss walks in. Floor is down cause there was a activation of the Halon. Okay.. so what activated the halon? A electrical filter at the other end of the floor had started smoking and set the smoke alarm off. Okay so why is the floor down? Well, while they were investigating the cause of fire alarm, the smoke reached a second smoke sensor zone. The system was setup so a single smoke alarm would not cause the Halon system to dump, but two smoke detections in different zones and you would get a dump.. Well since they knew the cause of the smoke why did someone not hit the halon abort button? (there was a horn that you could not mistake that went off and you had 10 seconds) Well it seems while they were assessing the situation, the second zone got triggered. They heard the horn and not knowing what it was, until the halon dumped, forgot about the abort button ( there were 4 entrances to the floor, all of them had Halon abort and emergency power off buttons, the big red kind and were clearly labeled.) However we never practiced for such an occurrence. You were just told about it.

So I ask what it looked like, They said when they saw the orange mist coming from the nozzles in the ceiling, they all ran. At this point I notice the foot print in the middle of one of the off going guys shirt.. What happened there I inquired? Well, it seems when everyone saw the orange mist, they immediately headed for the exit. The guy fell. The folks behind him did not stop. Nobody thought to hit the emergency power down button. Okay so why is the floor down now? Well they started getting errors on the system, and decided to shut down everything to vacuum up the now dumped halon. They only thing on was one of the main system ( it was a dual redundant system ), as it had been restarted after they cleaned it out. But they could not get the Disk drives to read the packs... We decided to go to dinner ( there was a cafeteria on site because we were in the middle of nowhere) and fouled and fixed the disk problem after we ate. Seems the drives did not like Halon in their electronics and it threw the calibration off. Mohawk 2700s if you are curious.

There were 4 big bottles (for the celling nozzles) and 2 smaller bottles (for the under floor). I think I was told it was $40K (1980 dollars) to refill them. I think it took us about a week to clean up all of those little pellets.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Emergency power off and BT engineer

I worked at an investment bank in the 90s. Around the walls of the dealing room were a number of emergency power off switches. They looked completely different to the light switches and were not located near any light switches.

A BT engineer was sent to fix some issue and whilst in the dealing room, he manged to lean or brush against one of the emergency power switches, turning off every piece of equipment in the dealing room. He was promptly escorted out.

Some months later, the same BT engineer came with a colleague, to address some issue. On entering the dealing room, he said to his colleague "The last time I was here, I shut everything down because I accidentally pressed one of these buttons." He pointed at one of the switches, touched it and shut off the power again. Suffice to say, BT were told that this particular engineer would never again be allowed into the building.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like