back to article Arlo, can you go? NETGEAR spins out its security cameras biz

NETGEAR has announced it will spin out its “Arlo” security camera range as a new, listed, company of the same name. The company chose its Q4 2017 earnings presentation to reveal the plan, which CEO and chairman Patrick Lo said has become necessary because “both NETGEAR and Arlo have reached the point where they can succeed by …

1. Scoured Frisbee

I'm interested in and possibly afraid of the organic products they're expecting from Arlo.

2. joed

continuous cloud and mobile app based engagement

1st rule of of any of my technology purchases - no strings attached, no subscriptions. It's foolish to trade privacy for mostly false sense of security. Maybe some SMB will bite - though these tend to be just as cheap and with MS forcing it's cloud integrated security features there's little of value to justify extra expense. Other manufacturers have already tried this with parental control subscriptions and I'd like to see uptake levels (of paying consumers).

1. Korev Silver badge

Re: continuous cloud and mobile app based engagement

Netgear seem very keen for me to manage my router from them using their cloud. So far it's been possible to not do this, if they make it "cloud only" then it'll be in the recycling bin pretty quickly.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: continuous cloud and mobile app based engagement

Netgear routers are normally open to flashing with some OpenWRT firmware variant. Personally I use Gargoyle on mine for the simple interface. Should be noted however that it seems less capable than the others and I've had problems whereby it is shithouse at enforcing restrictions - quotas, limiting ip ranges etc, causing the cutoff of all net access when it shouldn't have. The usual OpenVPN and port forwarding stuff works fine though as does guest wi-fi.

3. ThatOne Silver badge
    FAIL

Nice network connection you have there. Shame if...

Translation: We're going to sell hardware with a subscription - Pay us all over again, month after month, or your Netgear box stops working. Oh and we'll also collect some juicy user statistics which we can sell to whoever wants them.

Yet another nail in their coffin, does it really need that many? I was already wary of buying their stuff given things I've seen and heard, but this is the final straw...

1. Mark 65

Re: Nice network connection you have there. Shame if...

Not sure about you but this "everything as a subscription" nonsense is really starting to get on my tits.

4. tcmonkey
    FAIL

Doesn't help that the hardware cost is astronomical too. I saw a kit of 3 cameras at a local electronics supplier with a name that sounds a lot like "Hardly Normal" - nearly AU$900 they wanted for it. At that price, wouldn't it be cheaper just to let the ne'er-do-wells keep your goddamn car stereos?

For frame of reference, my 8 channel IP system, complete with recording PC cost me significantly less than that. It also doesn't require a cloud of farts to work.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like