back to article No sh*t, Sherlock! Bloke suspected of swallowing drug stash keeps colon schtum for 22 DAYS

A suspected drug dealer accused of swallowing his stash has become internet famous – after refusing to take a dump, and thus provide the cops their evidence, for 22 DAYS and counting. The 24-year-old fella was arrested by Essex police on January 17 in Harlow, England. He is believed to have wolfed down several packages of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of it in the end.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's a bit of a shit deal though.

2. Sane

They're waiting for him to log in.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
          Holmes

Suitable Icon

Log out would be more appropriate.

2. choleric

If he goes will he be cleared of all chargers?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Go

Obligatory 1942 movie clip.

The fun starts about the 4 minute mark...

3. Magani
      Coat

If the authorities force its passage, will it be the Enema of the State?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If it carries on for too long I fear he will be flushing his reputation down the toilet.

1. TRT Silver badge

Simples...

Shove a peanut up his arse... it'll come out a treat.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I wonder if they'll catch the person he deals for or if they'll be happy with the number two.

4. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

But he wishes he runs away now...

5. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

"I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of it in the end."

They'll give you a ring when the do

6. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

The police will go through the motions, at least.

7. macjules

As they say ... sh*t happens, sooner or later.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

The Assagne option

Self-inflicted punishment. He should realise it's going to be harder in the end.

1. David 132 Silver badge

Re: The Assagne option

it's going to be harder in the end

*snigger*

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

especially when push comes to shove.

3. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Thumb Up

He has also been refusing food

Have they offered him Ferrero Rocher?

1. bazza Silver badge

Have they offered him Ferrero Rocher?

Yes, every police station in the UK has some ready just in case some ex-Aussie info peddler with an addiction problem drops in. You can't be too careful with dietary requirements these days...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

They don't want to s(p)oil him.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Coat

"Have they offered him Ferrero Rocher?"

Or perhaps disguise some of THESE as Ferrero Rocher

I once heard a rumor of someone getting hot chocolate made from that stuff, as a bad prank/retaliation. It's why you don't anger the people who prepare your food.

(grabbing coat)

3. BrownishMonstr

...Upon finding the defendent guilty the judge further decides the defendent must clean up his own shit.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

@ BrownishMonstr

Your handle seems strangely appropriate for this thread.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

@Doctor Syntax,@BrownishMonstr

Your handle seems strangely appropriate for this thread.

Operation Raptor

Operation Big Job

Operation Big Wait

1. FozzyBear
          Alien

Operation Can't believe I'm being paid for this shit

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've just realised I'm evil.

I would cook lots of bacon outside his cell for about half an hour then pass him a bacon butty with brown sauce on toasted white bread. The bacon would be cooked with the fatty bits being slightly crispy with a golden colour. The sandwich itself would be served open so you could see that layer of bacon juice left on the slices. I would then offer a pint of lager to wash it down should he eat it.

Muhahahaha.

1. Mark 85

That's evil and it sounds like a like delight but I wouldn't want to go jail to get one.

2. davidp231

Sadly I think some vague clause in the Geneva Convention would consider that a form of torture and therefore illegal :(

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

This isn't war. But it sure must be hell in there...

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

The Geneva Convention only covers combatants in war - which is why tear gas can be used legally on your own citizens but not on enemy soldiers. Indeed, tear far and similar substances are originally developed for warfare, but after the Convention the manufacturers had to lobby for a new market: "Crowd Control".

3. JulieM Silver badge

Been done on TV: Ashes to Ashes

Gene Hunt once ate a large portion of fish and chips, with plenty of salt and vinegar, in the cell of a hunger-striking prisoner .....

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don’t forget the eggs

I swear by eggs when visiting certain customers where using the toilet would be undesirable*. I get up nice and early, have plenty of bacon and eggs and let the eggs go through me before I leave the hotel.

* Customers in Africa, where one particularly memorable (and actually very modern) office was still under construction, and the toilet was a shared bucket. One colleague had a worse experience, in Angola, where they guaranteed the route to the bucket (outside) had been cleared of mines.

Anon, because employer probably thinks it reflects badly on them when I discuss some of my site experiences.

1. Peter 53
        Coat

Re: Don’t forget the eggs

Did you mean 'shite experiences'?

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Don’t forget the eggs

I discuss some of my site experiences

You seem to have misplaced an 'h'..

5. Slef

I was with you until you mentioned toasted bread, brown sauce and lager! You also forgot the real butter; otherwise irresistible with a pint of black sheep or Tim Taylors Landlord

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Yes. For some reason I find that toast doesn't work as well for bacon butties. Though it's great with a fry-up. Fresh, soft white rolls, lightly buttered, and bacon that's been cooked so the fat has crisped up but the bacon hasn't. Personally I don't really want beer with it. A big mug of tea that's just dropped to perfect "guzzling temperature" is all-important, maybe with a glass of orange juice on the side.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

A big mug of tea that's just dropped to perfect "guzzling temperature" is all-important, maybe with a glass of orange juice on the side

Followed by several pints of proper scrumpy, sitting in the sun in a nice garden.

Hungry now.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
            Happy

CrazyOldCatMan,

What is this sun you speak of? I know it not.

Also, I live in a flat. So what is this garden you speak of?

6. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

I've just realised I'm evil

Welcome to the Monastery^W UKRM^W El Reg.

toasted white bread

*Toasted* white bread! Heretic! Not one jot or tittle of that evil abomination would pass my lips!

Oh look! A Squirrel!

Bacon sarnie? What bacon sarnie?

(Chewing noises off stage)

5. MrRimmerSIR!
    Trollface

Hashtag

Very good.

6. Adam 52 Silver badge

Not sure why this is news, it happens all the time. These people make themselves very ill. And have to be watched 24 hours a day because they will swallow if they can, and then one of the bags may rupture inside. So that's one of the places your tax is going.

If he dies from his self-inflicted injuries there will be an automatic IPCC (whatever they're called now) investigation and you can bet somewhere a minor paperwork issue (there are 30 forms a day need authorising to keep him in custody) will lead to someone getting in trouble. Remember this next time you see death in custody statistics and are tempted to a knee jerk response.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

and then one of the bags may rupture inside

It is pretty much guaranteed to do so after 24 days. Dunno what he swallowed, but at this point this is starting to look like cops are violating the law which prohibits assisting suicide.

They should have gotten a slightly different court order long ago. A more invasive one.

1. TRT Silver badge

On the other hand...

Even if he's completely innocent and passes no classified substances out of his pooper, the police could still do him for aiding and abetting the supply of illegally obtained cryptocurrency.

2. Adam 52 Silver badge

"Dunno what he swallowed"

See below, probably nothing.

7. Adam 52 Silver badge

"He is believed to have wolfed down several packages of drugs"

That would be unusual. It's very risky and needs careful packaging. More likely they would have been inserted via the anus, which is standard procedure for a dealer concerned about being searched.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Reminds me of an Ali G quiz on what you do in a stop n search situation:

"... or B, do you stick it up the police officer's bottom?"

2. Eddy Ito

"or otherwise inserted the gear into himself"

Presumably this bit indicates using the back door approach.

That said, it seems pretty shady to hold someone so long on a mere "belief" of the plods. Do they have anyone who witnessed his either eating or inserting? If not that's one hell of a low standard of proof to confine someone for over three weeks.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"That said, it seems pretty shady to hold someone so long on a mere "belief" of the plods. Do they have anyone who witnessed his either eating or inserting? If not that's one hell of a low standard of proof to confine someone for over three weeks."

These days, it's quite probable that they have video evidence that is at least highly suggestive that he was ramming stuff down his throat. I doubt it's just a suspicion, although you never can tell these days, depending on which force it is.

2. Adam 52 Silver badge

"Presumably this bit indicates using the back door approach"

Yes, the article has been changed. Archive.org has the original.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"That would be unusual. It's very risky and needs careful packaging. More likely they would have been inserted via the anus, which is standard procedure for a dealer concerned about being searched."

Having watched a number of Police fly-on-wall documentaries over the years, no, I'd say it's not that unusual for crims to swallow drugs. Some will shove it up their arses but since they are likely to get a full strip search anyway if the cops suspect that situation and the drugs will be recovered pretty quickly, it seems some thick dealers will use the swallow method in the hope they will be released before it passes through. I doubt they are thinking things through properly and have no consideration for the possible consequences if the bags burst. They are only thinking of the here and now and have vague recollections of urban legends about swallowing or transporting drugs internally. Remember, these are not the sharpest tools in the toolbox. They're just dull tools.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Opiates

If the drug dealer was selling/swallowing opiate based pills he might not be able to sh*t even if he wanted to.

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
      IT Angle

Re: Opiates

Depends on the drugs

Mine sometimes bung everything up... other times, I work from the smallest(and smelliest) room

But I'm left wondering why I give a shit about this when the suspect clearly doesn't

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. cantankerous swineherd

so the court is compelling him to incriminate himself?

1. 404

He already incriminated himself by being seen ingesting the packages, cops are just waiting on the evidence to appear naturally, so to speak.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Bullshit. Those packages are not proven to contain drugs, so yes, they're forcing him to incriminate himself. In the US, his lawyer would probably file for Habeas Corpus - charge him, or let him go.

1. Charles 9

BS on the BS. They know it's an indigestible plastic package that would at best pass through undigested and at worst harm the swallower. Why else would the suspect do so except to conceal it? Much like being arrested at the document shredder.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a court order to force feed a laxative.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Habeas Coprolus

more likely

3. DavCrav

Random Internet person said:

"In the US, his lawyer would probably file for Habeas Corpus - charge him, or let him go."

Article said:

"However, the bloke – who has been charged with possession with intent to supply class A drugs – has refused to make use of the plod's facilities ever since his arrest."

Does random Internet person look stupid now?

1. TRT Silver badge

His lawyer...

has submitted a motion to dismiss.

11. conscience
    Coat

I bet he wishes he'd never sharted this, by now I bet he's champing at the shit to get out.

Has this ever been dung before?

It sounds unbelievable, but it stool true.

(with apologies)

1. TRT Silver badge

You may think it's funny, but...

have you seen the damage that can be done to your insides by holding a poo in? My mate did. As his doctor said... "You know what you've done to your bowels, pal? Rectum."

1. Bluto Nash

Re: You may think it's funny, but...

Rectum? Damn near killed 'im!

12. scrubber
    Holmes

Nice precedent for our corrupt police

So plod can hold you indefinitely by lying to a judge that you have swallowed a packet that might be drugs and haven't pooped yet? That will never be misused.

Stopping this kind of police abuse of power is what the judiciary is supposed to be for.

Icon, because of course...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nice precedent for our corrupt police

> "Stopping this kind of police abuse of power..."

What abuse? If you come clean, they won't have anything to stick on you.

I admit, the chronically constipated may be inconvenienced...

1. TRT Silver badge

The chronically constipated will no doubt produce hard evidence.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"So plod can hold you indefinitely by lying to a judge that you have swallowed a packet that might be drugs and haven't pooped yet?"

If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to hold in. And unlike privacy, any sane person would be happy to let them have it in exchange for their freedom.

1. TRT Silver badge

Not meaning to be anally retentive or anything...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to hold in. And unlike privacy, any sane person would be happy to let them have it in exchange for their freedom.

Spot the one who's never been unlawfully arrested.

"Spot the one who's never been unlawfully arrested."

To be fair, that's likely to be the vast majority of the population, let alone just the El Reg readership, so that's a pretty easy game to play.

3. scrubber

If you have nothing to hide

Says Anonymous Coward.

What are you, some kind of stool pigeon?

4. Stratman

AC said

"So plod can hold you indefinitely by lying to a judge that you have swallowed a packet that might be drugs and haven't pooped yet?"

I strongly suspect the application to the court consisted of more than just that one sentence.

3. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

If he was innocent and constipated he'd ask for a laxative and get it over with. Why prolong your own detention if you're innocent? He's refused food, who refuses to eat for so long?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The solution is simple - pump the smell of food constantly into the cell. It will force him to eat. Job done.

1. TRT Silver badge

The police are only interested in getting the job done.

2. Charles 9

He main go mind over matter and deaden his nose. I would think they would've tried the laxative approach by now.

3. herman

The smell of police food? That explains why he is still stuck up.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> The smell of police food? That explains why he is still stuck up.

It's not that bad actually. In my experience, presentation is below airline food levels and taste about the same, but on the other hand the rations are plentiful, nutritious and well balanced. Nothing to complain about in that respect.

14. Pen-y-gors
    Headmaster

Much more important

Is the need for a criminal prosecution for the CPS drone who said

“the one person preventing this from being resulted...

Abuse of the English language like that, using 'result' as a passive verb, deserves at least three years with hard.

1. PNGuinn
      Coat

Re: Much more important @ Pen-y-gors

"Abuse of the English language like that, using 'result' as a passive verb, deserves at least three years with hard."

Would you be subtlety suggesting that the CPS drone was anally retentive?

>> Thanks - it's the High Vis waterproof one with the rubber gloves in the pocketses.

15. Bloodbeastterror

"preventing this from being resulted"

Say whut...? That's not even English. No wonder the CPS has problems.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "preventing this from being resulted"

"Say whut...? That's not even English. No wonder the CPS has problems."

The CPS has deeper problems. Good barristers can earn a lot doing commercial work.

The French system of parallel careers is a good one. Separate training for juges d'examen (if that is still a thing, I'm going on A level French studies.)

16. chivo243 Silver badge
    Go

Easy

No food for 3 weeks, just throw a bag of Ronald McDonalds fare in his cell. Add a large Coca Cola, he'll come clean...

1. PNGuinn
      Mushroom

Re: Easy @chivo

Er ... clean?

17. Tom 7

I guess he's doiing his best not to be

a stool pigeon.

18. TRT Silver badge

It's the exact opposite...

of a dirty protest.

19. Scroticus Canis
    Paris Hilton

My question is...

... how did a shitty Essex story come to reported on from San Francisco? Is Iain Thompson a secret TOWIE fan?

20. onefang
    Coat

I guess it's expected after an article like this, that it attracts lots of shit comments.

Mines the bad smelling brown one.

21. M7S
    Coat

It's simple enough to get away with this sort of thing, just sit still

One might almost say...

...motionless.

I thank you.

22. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Uhm, he need to drink some water or liquids, right?

If so, take a leaf out of the BOFH manual and bastardize his lager or liquid refreshment, so that he will impersonate both Timkin Rumbleguts and Grabpot Thundergust simultaneously.

"If so, take a leaf out of the BOFH manual and bastardize his lager or liquid refreshment, so that he will impersonate both Timkin Rumbleguts and Grabpot Thundergust simultaneously."

Such as that stuff in the "pre-op" pack the hospital sends you before a bowel endoscopy? That's like drinking dynamite and ends up with a "ring of fire" worse than any curry can cause.

1. Charles 9

What we call a colonoscopy. It's probably lactulose. Thing is, that stuff's easy to detect. It's salty (I have taken it once to deal with a bout of constipation).

23. Digitall
    Holmes

Iconic

See icon description, says it all really..

Holmes

Re: Iconic

Elementary my dear Watson

1. quxinot
        Joke

Enemantary my dear Watson.

FTFY.

2. onefang

"Alimentary my dear Watson"

FTFY

Holmes

@quxinot +, @onefang +

I was suffering from a bit of grammatical constipation there. Alimentary was the intended word. Will take a spoonful of syrup of figs...

24. This post has been deleted by its author

25. This post has been deleted by its author

26. unwarranted triumphalism

Fed up with the special treatment criminals are getting

The police should be able to do anything* they want.

* Yes, I said 'anything'.

1. Alistair

Re: Fed up with the special treatment criminals are getting

Oh good. They can arrest you and hold you without charge, bail, or contact with the rest of the world then.

27. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Joke

Sphincter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

As with Pandora's box, take cover when the sphincter opens.

...with apologies to Mr Clancy and Ubisoft

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

28. Montreal Sean

Is his name Jack by any chance?

It's a gas gas gas!

29. Slef

looks like all the usual faeces have been posting here !

@Slef

looks like all the usual faeces have been posting here !

But, for a change, @Big John has not been downvoted!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"But, for a change, @Big John has not been downvoted!"

OT but when they get off their guns and trump hobbyhorses, both Big John and Bombastic Bob can produce some good posts. I used to work with some really nice people in Kentucky, if you disregarded the racism, the creationism and the gun racks. It takes all sorts to make a world, just so long as they don't come over here and vote.

1. onefang

Re: "But, for a change, @Big John has not been downvoted!"

Gun racks are not a good thing to ignore.

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Re: "But, for a change, @Big John has not been downvoted!"

@Voyna i Mor

when they get off their guns and trump hobbyhorses, both Big John and Bombastic Bob can produce some good posts.

agreed.

1. Scroticus Canis
            Trollface

Re: "when they get off their guns and trump hobbyhorses"

What's wrong with guns?

30. LeahroyNake

Someone needs

A better solicitor.. that has a supply of biscuit Brown's/ they clog you up for weeks !

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: A better solicitor..

I wonder if Legal Aid has been applied for.

31. Christopher Aussant

Jeez, they're going about this the wrong way. Simply set up a meeting with him and his lawyer to discuss his case as its ongoing, and leave a bowl of Haribo Sugar Free Gummi Bears in the room with them. Sure the lawyer may eat some too, but its a small risk. Just read the reviews for those on Amazon and you'll see why its all they need.

32. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

The Police have a big problem with piles of paperwork to complete

He is going to have a big problem with piles, full stop.

Fellow inmates with sore throats are hoping to have first dibs for the Dettol & Wirebrush treatment.

(acks. to Billy Connolly)

33. This post has been deleted by its author

34. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Presenting a Motion to the Court

Eventually the Prosecution will need to present a Motion to the Court.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Mule

In the 2014 movie "The Mule" exactly this happened. I quite liked the movie for what it was.

36. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

The police must be getting better

In the old days they just pretended you had drugs. No dicking around.

37. onefang

Back in my day, the cops would just beat the shit outta him.

38. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Now, is this poor chap still clamping up on his anal sphincter?

39. Come to the Dark Side

I suspect that the "incident log" will prove that it was an inside jobby...

40. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

reminds me of Dante's Peak (with Pierce Brosnan) and Volcano (with Tommy Lee Jones).... the pressure is building...

41. ecofeco Silver badge

Well all the good jokes have been done, so here's a question

Why did they suspect him in the first place and why with no evidence is it good enough to hold him seemingly indefinitely?

1. Charles 9

Re: Well all the good jokes have been done, so here's a question

They caught him swallowing the evidence, meaning they already have him on Obstruction of Justice. It'll probably soon reach the point the constipation causes a medical emergency, then the doctors will administer laxatives.

42. Jay Lenovo
    Mushroom

My body, my choice

The government needs to keep their hands off his sh^t and not mess with his excremental rights.

You can't force him to produce this (butt) crack baby!

If the liberal media breaks wind of this.. Well, they'll raise such a stink.

43. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

34 days and counting....

http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/20/suspected-drug-dealer-now-gone-34-days-without-taking-poo-7327236/

It will end badly for all involved.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like