back to article Unlucky 13 collared by cops hunting cyber-crew who stole up to $2.2bn

Thirteen out of 36 individuals indicted for their alleged involvement in a transnational cybercrime group know as Infraud have been arrested, the US Department of Justice announced on Wednesday. The Infraud Organization, according to prosecutors, coordinated various flavors of internet fraud including identity theft, bank …

1. DryBones

Somebody probably screwed up and sent a membership invite to the cops.

2. Mark 85

So theres 2 thirds of the leadership left plus the 11,000 members. I think we need a bigger jail.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No, just grab their cover

Re-read the article and see where the "head" is from. It is a client kleptocracy of ours. If they want to retain the status of "client" they need to supply the people in their judiciary and government who provide cover for this lot.

In fact, I bet the FBI and Europol already knows all of them so it should not be an issue to grab them while they are going to or coming back from holidays in Cyprus or Monte Negro which they should not be able to afford with a Ukrainian judiciary salary.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: No, just grab their cover

> or coming back from holidays in Cyprus or Monte Negro

You do seem to be worryingly familiar with where entrepreneurial Ukrainians like to hang out.

(Yes, and so do I, I know)

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

So close

If only they had stolen 10-100x as much they would have been bailed out

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"as this case shows"

Oh really ? Nice to know. So all those Nigerian Prince mails are going to stop as well ?

I'm glad the law put an end to some criminal activity, but don't get carried away. You only got the guys because they got big enough to warrant however much money was spent on catching them. In multiple countries at that.

If that is what it takes to catch an Internet crook, I think the Internet is plenty safe for the small-time criminals who only bother a few thousand people with cryptomalware. And since that is being shelved in favor of virtual currency mining, there will be even less incentive to go after scum like that. After all, it'll be difficult to indict them for an hour of illicit CPU use. On the other hand, that's all they took, so . . .

5. Bonzo_red

Medvedev, ...Medvedev - I am sure I have come across that name somewhere, I just can't for the life of me put my finger on it.

1. EnviableOne

Would that be Vlads mate

Dmitry

Nothing like keeping it in the family

6. Mystic Megabyte
    Joke

sorry for that

Bondarkeno stopped using the Infraud forum in 2015, and it appears his whereabouts are unknown to US authorities.

Bondarkeno gonedarkeno.

1. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

Re: sorry for that

Given that it takes a couple of years to prepare cases and get ready to arrest people, I would say that Bondarkeno dropped out of sight at about the same time as the investigation started. Kind of coincidental? Or do you think that he shopped the rest?

1. Tree
        Trollface

Re: sorry for that

Bondarkeno is too busy making bluetooth 'Panty Busters' to screw with your accounts. See https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/02/02/adult_fun_toy_security_fail/

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Infosec

If crime groups cant do it. How are we mere mortals expected to do it.

Our machines tattle on us far too much.

Anon (We hide behind fig leaves)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like